Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Were you bullied at any stage of your life?

Options
  • 22-08-2022 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭

Primary school slightly at times but nothing major. Apart from Junior Infants.(I'm a short guy) a bunch of guys use hold hands and form a circle around me and not leave me out. I don't know how often it happened. It gave me night mares tough.

Secondary school was worse there was a lot of comments/verbal stuff(about my appearance) and I did isolate myself. Looking back on things tough I think I over thought a lot of comments and wasn't able to deal with situations correctly. (One guy did p*ss on my locker but I he had his ow demons).

College was the worst. Certain people were fairly nasty mainly in the first term.

Work was never an issue.

Were you bullied at any stage of your life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A couple of years during secondary school. I eventually stood up to them and it stopped. I just wish I did it sooner. Primary school was generally ok apart from the odd scrap.

I was subjected to pretty much constant low level mockery and intimidation from 3rd class to around 3rd year. But it never turned physical.

I have enrolled my kids (age 4 and 6) in BJJ, to make them 'bullyproof'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nope. A couple of people tried once or twice, but didn't get far because I genuinely didn't care what they thought of me.

I found school, pretty easy, tbh. Wasn't ever part of a particular clique or "genre" but got along with all of them. Had a core group of friends and between us we kind of straddled all the different groups - I played football but was also a major drama nerd, my best friend was our year's best athlete by far, another was mad into debate, etc. I got on well with pretty much all of my teachers and found the academic side of things very easy. Probably too easy, tbh, it made me a bit lazy.

I'm still the kind of person you could drop into pretty much any social setting and I'd have no problem chatting away to people, which was probably hugely beneficial in school. I could get along with everyone, even if I didn't particularly like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When I was in Senior Infants (late 70s), there was a girl in 5th class who used to bully us. I remember her as being very small and slight, not much bigger than us 6 year olds, but she had a bigger, fatter friend who was her enforcer. She used to make us kneel in front of her and "worship" her, and would pinch us hard and drag us by the hair if we didn't. It really upset me.

I organised a group of boys from all the JI classes to put a stop her. We surrounded her in the schoolyard one day, in a big ring, and I was just about to make this "you leave us alone you big bully" speech, when she literally stamped her foot, and the posse literally scarpered screaming. So I was left on my own to tell her that she couldn't intimidate us any more, which obviously didn't work as she had just intimidated everyone away. So I got the pinch and hair grab treatment.

I gave up and told my mother about it. I know she went to the principal about it, but I'm not sure really what happened after that, other than she left us alone.

My dad's advice on bullying was always "punch them hard in the gut". Only had to do that once, when I was about 9, to some kid who was trying to do the cliché give me your lunch money.

When I was in first year in secondary school, some kid in 3rd year started trying to intimidate me over the course of the first week or so. He and his mates picked me up one day and put me in through the open window of a locked classroom at lunchtime, then held the window shut, stupid stuff like that. He grabbed me out on the field one day, and I instinctively grabbed him back. and ripped his school shirt clean open and all the buttons popped off one by one onto the grass.The net effect was that all his mates burst out laughing at him, and he never went near me again.

Other than that, I never had any issues that I couldn't nip right in the bud. Never personally encountered any attempts at bullying at all after about 3rd year in secondary. I have to admit, I have a hard time even visualising what adult bullying would look like, because I just wouldn't tolerate anyone speaking or acting like that to me. Not that I'd get physical or anything, I just wouldn't take it seriously, or I'd walk off. Although I have seen other people I know suffer in their work or other organisations they're involved in, so maybe I've just been lucky. Although I'm a fairly easygoing person and get on with most people in most situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,557 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Couple of lads, brothers - used to give me a hard time in national school. Constant digs into the shoulder with the knuckle but done in a passive aggressive type of way as in 'how are ye' - dig. Funny thing is that even though I detested them, partic the older lad, I was kinda friendly with them, would go around on bikes outside school etc. Great when I got to leave national school though, can still recall the relief and to be shot of the two bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭NiceFella

Was never really bullied myself but remember a day in 6th class the biggest bully going in my school got his comuppence. This chap was such a b*ll*x that all the other years knew about him. Tormented everyone and had a small possy of burn out side kicks to help him along. I still see him today and he is in and out of prison so you get the idea, chap was just born bad.

Anyway, the crazy thing is the guy that sorted him out was one of the nicest laid back chaps in school. Just kept his head down.

The whole school was lined up before 9 to be picked up by our respective teachers and bully boy slaps a yogurt out of the sound lads hand. Without a moments hesitation he flattened him with a dig. The whole school, literally 100s of people cheering the sound lad on. Bully tries to get back up and sound lad flattens him again. It was epic. Even the teachers who were breaking it up were smirking.

He was still a bully after but people were not as intimidated by him anymore. Everyone just kept bringing up the fight. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

I’d have got bits and pieces of it over the years but nothing major really. There was one fool in my class from 1st year to 3rd year who was just a waster. Just one of those fellas that you knew would amount to nothing. Instead of lunch or money for lunch, his father would give him a banana and 2 fags each day. That kind of thing.

His antics with certain lads in the class were just a defence mechanism for him being thick. He used to give one lad an awful time just constantly nipping away at him thinking he was a great fella. One day in English class the teacher had obviously noticed that there was something coming from this guy on a constant, sneaky basis. She announced she wanted one student, picked at random of course, to stand up and read a lengthy poem in front of the whole class. The poem was probably a 6th year poem she had us reading as 12 and 13 year olds. Your man got such a roasting off the whole class for not being able to read it properly that he got even more aggressive. We had a very quiet, but extremely volatile guy in the class who literally never said 2 words. One day in 3rd year the mouthy bully decided he’d rip on your man for no reason at all. The guy absolutely levelled him with a headbutt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Several times! In primary school by the principal teacher of all people. The other teachers were great and I loved them all. The other kids were grand too. One boy and I used to get into scraps but I gave as good as I got so not bullying as such.

Successions of b!tches in secondary and almost quit were it not for good friends and teachers who believed in me and encouraged me.

In my first job by a junior colleague, same level as myself. I had a degree, she did not, so she was always finding fault with everything I did and even sabotaged my work to try and get me fired. (It didn't work).

Hasn't happened to me in a while now but I've sufficient experience now to not take sh!t from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yes, had run ins with a teacher in secondary school that eventually led to him physically attacking me and in that most internet of manners 😉 I laid into him and left him bloodied before I walked down to the principal's office to lay what happened and why. I was about 15 at the time. The story can be verified by the other 27 lads in the class at the time and it was discussed on a thread about the school too. Suffice it to say I wasn't censured and that particular prick faced his comeuppance.

In day to day life, particularly at home, I was the eldest of 8 and my own sperm donor was a bit of a cúnt. My mother took the brunt of it but I managed to get myself in between her and him when I could. He was/is a vile bully but if I can take one thing from that? It's made me a better father. It's just a matter of doing the opposite 😉

That went on until I was 11/12 and 1st 3 siblings. My mother met my step father and had 4 more siblings. He isn't perfect, but he was good to my mam and to us.

I remember telling some friends stories of some the things my sperm donor did to me and they started crying, it wasn't until then? Until I'd spoken about it and seen how it affected others? That it dawned on me that being battered wasn't normal 🤷‍♂️

I think I turned out okay. The details aren't something I dwell on, I've dealt with it, I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭AllForIt

OP, I'm sorry to hear you experienced so much bullying in your life. Just remember these bullies are total c*unts.

I can't abide bullies, especially adult ones. Smart ass pricks who don't know how dumb they are. They make some peoples work life hell and I think that's utterly deplorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Yup, in primary and secondary school

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

No, and I find it strange that so many people seem to get bullied.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not really, when i was in primary school, a lad a year ahead was kept back, for a few weeks my drink kept going missing, turns out he was stealing it.

Found him in the act one day (we were at the same table), he pushed me (he was a big lump of a kid) so i picked up the school chair by the legs and smashed him in the face with the back support part.

Never happened again, principal said next time "use your fists", mid 80s, different time!

What do you find strange about it? Human nature is nasty and the gravitational pull towards tyranny is ever present, even today. Bullying was ubiquitous and normal for almost all of human history, with the most brutal and aggressive men intimidating and dominating entire territories as warlords or chieftains. The invention of firearms started to turn the tables, along with the monopolisation of force by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I agree that societal expectations clash with human nature. I also think that some situations which are classified as bullying are no such thing (it’s just a concept that means different things to different people). But maybe that’s just because I have never been on the receiving end of it, so I probably have a very different perspective.

This doesn’t mean that I condone it btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

part and parcel of my disorder unfortunately.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I was for a good while in secondary school, sadly bullying still happens in every school in the country, the scumbag bully's don't realise the deep harm that they do. I made the terrible mistake of thinking that fighting back would make things worse.

Luckily I moved on and forgave myself for not standing up for myself at the time. Once I left school I was never bullied again, I'd almost like to meet a bully now as I'd now be well able to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭black & white

1st year secondary school in the south east, mid '70's. A fellow 1st year boarder who was from Mayo used to beat me regularly but he was related to one of the staff so nothing was ever done. I passed through his town 2 years ago and the memories flooded back.

I feel its a little different in the workplace although it does still exist there. Kids are nastier in general and it's a bit harder for schools to catch bully's.

• Advertisement

thats very debatable, in my own experiences, theres virtually no difference between workplace and school environment bullying, its all sh1t, you d like to think adults know what theyre doing in the workplace, but some really really dont, many have very serious unresolved issues, and have brought them to the workplace, it generally leads to a highly toxic work environment, adults can be right fcuking arseholes, extremely nasty to one another

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Two major episodes of bullying that I endured - between 1st year and 3rd year in secondary school (late 1980s) which made my life pure hell but it stopped after an incident that landed me in hospital and got the main bully expelled and two others suspended for a month.

The worst was the workplace bullying I endured years ago (between 2007 and 2009 to be exact) under a new boss - involving criticising anything I did which got worse over time, gaslighting, giving me unrealistic deadlines, lying to my colleagues in order to make things more difficult for me. It ended in a daily bollocking in his private office most days and I was suicidal at that point.

I ended up taking action and I got an out of court settlement but it destroyed my self-esteem and mental health and I turned to alcohol as a coping mechanism to deal with crippling anxiety - and that nearly killed me.

I loathe bullies and bullying in any shape or form.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,588 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I never got bullied but i was lucky because of circumstance, there was several moments through out Primary school & secondary school & my formative years where i recognised that someone ( different people) was trying to bully me, I was always quick to stand my ground or on some occasions turn the tables so the person just left it,

I was really lucky though as i grow up with older brothers , so at home things where taken off you , & you got a few bumps from them so minor physical altercations where a weekly event so intimidation didn't really scare me at that age, Plus older kids knew i had people looking out for me

I also had the pleasure of going to a school & having a group of friends there who didn't stand for bullying, Anyone in our circle or outside it would be call out on bullying so in our own year it didn't go on much at all,

Iv always looked back and thought how lucky i was in that regard because , not only did it mean you were not bullied yourself but also that you would not become a bully,

One thing i fear most for my own kids is that are not bullied & probably even more importantly they do not become bullies

I absolutely detest bullies at any age,

It's less common in the workplace and rarely turns physical but when it happens in the workplace its just as bad

again, id disagree, its rife in the workplace, many people ive spoken to have seen it and experienced it, in both the public and private sectors, theres many highly dysfunctional adults out there, never truly emotional matured, which leads them to such behaviors, modern society is also highly stressful, which can lead to such.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Raven1221

At school it happened. I do not clearly remember. I have grow and it did not happens again. Being big or tall is a major advantage.

Most companies offer processes that deal with bullying, by law they have to take bullying very seriously. In my 20 years working ive never spoken to anybody who experienced or witnessed bullying in the workplace. Yes it does happen in the workplace but the form it takes is a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Secondary school Inter cert class was full of bullies. So went on for 3 years+. And where I lived as a teenager there was one particular bully who bullied a lot of people in the estate for years. I met him later in life and he apologized. He has since died. Never happened once after the age of 15 though. I have never had anyone attempt to bully me in the workplace either.

yup, but many companies do a lot of talking about dealing with such issues, including mental health issues etc, but in reality, do virtually fcuk all, a lot of activities are box ticking, with virtually little or no action, ive heard this from many, and have witnessed and experienced this myself. the precarious nature of a lot of employment plays into this also, as many victims will simply not pursue these issues, in the fear of termination and ostracisation in the workplace....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

A little bit as a teenager, found it hard.

An interesting thing now that I think of it is that I've been in positions for nearly all of my adult life where I couldn't be bullied, or at least couldn't be bullied in the way I was at that stage. I did encounter a little bit of workplace bullying as a young man, and I was very unforgiving to the perpetrator even though he genuinely tried to make amends, and I ended up quitting the job a few months later. Maybe I've been protecting myself without even knowing it.

Advertisement