Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is synthetic vitamins inferior to natural vitamin supplements?

Options
  • 17-08-2022 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

I've taken vitamin supplements over the years, not all the time but sometimes. I've usually gone to chemist to ask what's the best supplement and would usually buy what's recommended. I wasn't aware that some supplements are synthetic and some natural until very recently. Is there much difference in quality? Are both good to take. I would appreciate any advice.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Most synthetic vitamins based out of petroleum. Some works a little but majority waste of money. It would be better to buy naturally made from food, however expensive and not always as advertised. The best option to have a balance diet and use supplements to improve certain aspects... why would you want to buy vitamins?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I'm not sure of the difference but I notice a difference when I don't take my boots multivitamins along with my turmeric, ginger and codliver oil, sets me up for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

So I've been reading and watching info on vitamin supplements and I've decided to stop using them and try to eat a better diet of food. It's hard to verify everything you read or video you watch but what I saw was worrying. The listed contents on products are not always accurate and then the health benefit claims are not backed up by science. It's possible some may even do more harm than good. I still don't know much about vitamin supplements though I'm less inclined to believe they are actually good for me and a little more worried that they might actually cause harm. This is just my own opinion from the very limited time I've put into looking the subject up.

Did you ever tried a half portion of lamb liver once a week for a month?

In animal world only leaders of the pack allowed to eat liver due to high nutrient content.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

The amount of particular minerals and vitamins may not be the complete issue, having them in forms that your body can absorb correctly is probably a bigger issue.

I know from agriculture this is a big issue, properly balanced mineral and vitamin levels are difficult to achieve, simply having the correct quantities in a supplement may often be insufficient.

A better balanced diet will benefit you every way. Also as Pissy Missy says she? has a routine where she notices the difference if she doesn't take the supplements she has.

Have you ever noticed a difference when taking/not taking a supplement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

I mean, for e.g., vitamin C has a set chemical structure regardless of whether it's synthesised inside the complicated structures of a processing facility or the inside of the complicated structures of a potato plant ...

See pic below

Synthetic Vit C contains - Ascorbic acid (none)

Natural Vit C contains - Ascorbic acid (Vit P, Vit J, Vit K, tyrosinase)

Advertisement