Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#IrelandIsFull trending on twitter... Have we reached boiling point?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ah here. Hurling people into ovens?

Another troll thread it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

Shelter is literally the most basic thing that humans have for millennia built. Well before humans even created Neo-Liberalism they built shelter/housing. Does Irish society think that humans should go back to living in trees ? Sand, concrete, wood, nuts, bolts, slates and a pencil and paper for draughting ! Yet that seems to be a big overcomplicated thing now !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I believe I am correctly placed to speak on behalf of "Irish society" and answer this.

And my answer is yes that I think "that humans should go back to living in trees"

Its always a conspiracy isn't it. Who do you think is really controlling it and what is their goal?

The "be kind" crowd are so toxic. Mustardorcustard is laying out solid points, and all he's getting as a counter argument is at best "the country isn't full" (missing the point) or at worst, pot shots and dishonesty.

Those of the political persuasion that even merely talking about potential effects of immigration is racism or xenophobia really do need to grow up.

This isn't about numbers of people - it's about the resources and infrastructure in place to meet requirements. If a country's health service is over stretched, if there is a housing crisis due to demand outstripping supply... it is not unreasonable to question whether said country's immigration policy needs to be re examined. Nothing in this contains having a go at immigrants already here.

Now there are obviously bigoted right-wingers, but between them and the crowd who don't want to have this discussion because anything to them is racist... there's a chasm in between.

There is also the permanently moaning crowd though - two news stories I've seen recently posted to social media about new homes being built... were met mostly with complaining. 🙄

The above three demographics just shout down anything moderate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

If you're already here I don't think anyone has an issue with that. There are 2 different things being conflated here, racism and the capacity of Ireland to sustain the current levels of population growth. That growth can either be through internal growth or immigration or a combination of both.

We need to take a more measured approach to population growth in this country. Immigration is part of that. Our systems, health, transport, housing, energy, education etc are already failing at our current population levels. Continuing to grow our population at a rate faster than we can add capacity to our systems is not a good plan and will end in disaster. However, some people, not necessarily you, cannot seem to detach limiting immigration with racism. There in lies an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

We better hope the Greens plant more trees. I actually read that the Greens were moaning that we were planting the wrong sort of trees ! To be totally honest and I'm not trolling we as a people just overcomplicate and make a balls out of things, fair enough we have had great economical success in recent decades but then we just ignored the structures that hold society up and help to keep the success stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

I am happy where i live,own my house surrounded by land and no threats to my life but i do question things when i hear students crying as they have no where to live,and i hear a man talking about his 80 year mother on a chair in A & E for 34 hours those two things make me think our generous policies towards non irish people should perhaps be reined in a bit. Getting the pat on the good puppy head from europe is actually worth nothing anymore.

We are fast becoming the Nauru & Manus islands for the eu and that is something to worry about. People not being able to find a school next to where they live is very worrying & GP's retiring with no successors. Xenophobia aside we have real social problems and a government with their head in the sand obeying the masters in Europe. Dangerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Non Irish people are not the reason your mother sat in A+E for 34 hours. Frankly, if it wasn't for the non-Irish staff her wait may well have been double that, or do we ignore just how many non-irish staff are working there?

She sat there for 34 hours because the HSE is horribly mismanaged, and getting rid of all the non-irish will do nothing but make things worse.

Its crazy that even with Brexit as a case study the Irish people still can't see where the actual problems are.

• Advertisement

The nurses & doctors from Phillipines & Inda are excellent but i am talking about the bogus assylum seekers who are just draining the system. The professional staff are paying their way so i dont disagree with them we need a system like Australia a visa if we need your skills and if you have no skills that we need then no visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭enricoh

That's just it, we are full, our infrastructure can't cope with the numbers arriving. If that's racist nowadays so be it.

Employers are finding it difficult to get staff as fellas are better off doing nothing or part time so they don't loose benefits/ hap etc. I believe there is a EU directive that any EU citizen can move to another EU country and that country must support them for 6 months if they can't support themselves. Paddy doesn't bother with the 6 months bit n does it permanently.

One of my in-laws was looking for a doctor in the commuter town she lives in. Gave up ringing, she now does phone calls with her old doctor in the west or its the day spent commuting n e100 plus in tolls n petrol. Doesn't sound too sustainable to me

How big a problem is this? How much draining are they responsible for?

Fellas are better off doing nothing, yet unemployment is currently only 4.8%, a figure comparable with the height of the Celtic tiger.

Terry Pratchet was only joking when he wrote about dirty foreigners who were both doing nothing but at the same time taking our jobs...

To repeat the point, the country is not full, its just run by morons for morons.

Ireland was better with 3.5 million people we are now well over 5 million, its not necessary. The census is bullshit lots of people never send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭HBC08

Why do you think all our nurses are going to the UK and particularly Australia?

They are being paid enough to have a decent standard of living and are working with first world infrastructure,systems and management, the same cannot be said here.

There is no sign of this changing,if you are a qualified nurse just out of college now you would be mental to stay in ireland.

Most of mustard or custards points can be summed up by a single south park meme

Are there issues with housing and hospitals sure there are. Are there some issues with access to schools in some areas sure I can even agree on that. But when the single cause of all our problems in Ireland is summed up as immigrants well then I think I know how I can define that type of poster.

Lazy would be one way to describe that type of thinking and posting but there are other ways too. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭enricoh

• Registered Users Posts: 16,094 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭HBC08

He's posting solid points and getting no grown up interaction,you're posting Southpark memes and smiley faces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 mustardorcustard

Now it's complicated, Mr Genuine, so pay attention.

More people, less accommodation.

Less accommodation, higher prices.

More people, less available healthcare facility.

More people, less availability of school places and college places.

And so on.

It'll probably take you years of running that through your super computers to make sense of it, God's speed.

They literally, and I do mean literally, cannot bring themselves to even mention issues. Look back over this thread.

Housing crisis? News to them, can't even mention it.

Worsening healthcare? Ai programmed humanoids don't know about sickness, can't even mention it.

School facility and the struggle to get a child's place? These people weren't programmed to procreate, children are a theoretical concept, so can't be mentioned.

Teenagers going to college while there's nowhere to stay? These defenders of immigration were grown in pods, no idea of responsibility, can't be mentioned.

And so on.

I'm not exagerrating, not one mention of anything.

What you will see repeated ad nauseum here is "racism!" "There's loads of room in fields" and...well that's all you get.

There are demonstrably, observably, too many people in the country. Sin e.

Edit: one of them above actually mentioned that there are problems, but failed to draw a connection as to the why. Probably have to take a few months rest after that gargantuan effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Matt Stone and Trey Parker are Cato Institute libertarians. The Cato Institute was founded by Murray Rothbard and Charles Koch.

So you are a free market libertarian demanding a free flow of labour and capital across borders to increase profits? Because that's what that meme is for.

Trey parker and Matt stone don't own a meme. They may have created the image behind the content but they don't own the meme. That's not how the internet works

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

"I literally, and I do mean literally" mentioned the issues in a post. On. This. Thread.

Somebody mentioned a 60 seater bus earlier.

Ireland is a 60 seater bus. Except it only has 30 seats fitted, and 10 of them have bags on the seat stopping people sitting down.

But instead of questioning the owner or the driver, people on the bus are shouting abuse at people waiting at the bus stop.

Here is a crazy thought, why not fit more seats, let more people on and use the extra fares to fix the air conditioning which hasn't worked right in decades?

Think the argument is that the fares are not being collected from all on the bus

It only took you 500 posts to dare mention that there are problems, while not linking the cause of those problems to anything.

And I noted it above, before you posted that waste of space of a reply that says nothing of value.

Like this reply! But that's part of the strategy you were taught, right? To obfuscate and talk nonsense and redirect and just generally deflect reality.

Here's a question. You say there are problems, would you care to explain the why of any of them? Like the housing crisis? There was no housing crisis, *something changed*, and then there was a housing crisis. What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

He's never posting a single comment of substance on this site. He's just an immature child.

• Advertisement

And yet pages into this thread, there isn't an iota of a defence against the very real problem of too many people in this country.

You yourself must be holding back some whopper of a salient point as a joke, right?

I mean to say, if you had a semblance of an argument, you'd be posting that argument post haste, rather than saying "I don't like this guy"?

True?

Let's hear it. Let's hear how the basic functioning of this country isn't impacted by more and more people arriving, and that its actually the *mysterious thing* that's the cause.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement