Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#IrelandIsFull trending on twitter... Have we reached boiling point?

Options
  • 17-08-2022 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

So I'm seeing this morning the hashtag Ireland is full trending on twitter, it has made me think of how this could possibly go!!

Is civil unrest starting to get louder and will it gain momentum? Do you think people will start taking to the streets?

If the recent big cases involving non-nationals happened now, would it spill over into chaos?

Would you be worried if you where a non-national in this country right now?

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Should non nationals be worried?

Are you suggesting there are credible threats of harm coming from any Irish groups or individuals threatening non native individuals?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think hysteria never solved anything.

However I think it is a pertinent time to have a discussion on our border policy. We have had a number of crimes perpetrated by non-nationals and we should be asking questions on who we allow in. There should be background checks before we allow entry to a non national. We also should end direct provision and provide a "yes/no" answer within a few days of arrival. If yes, welcome aboard and if no shipped off back where you came from. Worth noting that Ireland is not the nearest country to any civil unrest so should not have many legit asylum cases anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

no we just have idiot racists on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mustardorcustard

I only just posted in another thread about how, truly, this is all a macro economic scam.

How can a government claim to be a government when they have sat on top of a crisis for a decade? We've all heard the word "crisis" so many times it has probably lost all meaning. But a crisis is still a crisis.

The quickest way to dig your way out of a bad financial situation (2008 onwards) is to vastly inflate the value of what you own.

How do you increase the value of assets? Increase demand.

How do you increase demand? Get as many extra people into the country as you can.

Pressure = money

Do you think this crowd of conmen and their associates give a rats arse about all the negative effects? Schools, colleges, healthcare, transport, society in general coming apart at the seams, they don't care. They'll be off with the money with no consequences when it breaks.

Watch the start of next year, it's shaping up to be the actual breaking point.

Yes, Ireland is overly full. And yes, it was purposefully designed to be this way.

It can't go on, and it's anyone's guess how it falls apart, but fall apart it will. Just don't be the eejit scratching your head about how it happened, its been in front of your eyeballs for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

I'm sure no matter you go in the world there is a creditable threat to non national's or minority groups, some people just have that mind set about them!! But if people (albeit mainly keyboard warriors at this stage) feel they can openly display their discontent at the amount of refugee's arriving into Ireland, will this not eventually spill into attacks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,172 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If it is full then why can nobody get staff to fill their open jobs?

Ireland isn't full, it just has a housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Plenty of keyboard warrior racists on boards too it's not just twitter.

And why are the wages insufficient?

Because the cost of everything else has skyrocketed, such as rents.

And why has accommodation become so expensive?

Because there are so many extra people in competition for it.

It's a pure and utterly scam. And the very same yokes that will purposely ignore WHY everything is so expensive, will be the first ones to say "get even more people in to do the unliveable wage jobs".

You'd never get a better example of a giant pyramid scheme if you tried.

This whole disaster was never a well thought out plan, it was a get money quick plan and to hell with inevitable consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

People are and have the right to be unhappy with our immigration policies and procedures. Most people however would never lay a hand on another human regardless of their nationality. I would like to see stricter controls on our borders. The blame lies with our civil service and elected reps . I don't wish any ill will to anybody living here.

• Advertisement

Why are people coming in to do the unlivable wage jobs and not staying where they are?

I'm advertising jobs ranging from €30k to €55k and we get single digit applications, we are offering €40k+ for roles that realistically should be worth only €30k, still nobody is applying.

But the country is full?

Yeah, thats some logic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ireland isn’t full, it’s just broken.

Allowing in so many Ukrainians looks purely like an excuse to deflect from the government’s failings.

And to be best in class in making a stand against Putin.

Why are Ukrainians given so many rights that those in other occupied lands aren’t being given?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

That seems to be the main bone of discontent... a housing crisis, but they've managed to find accommodation for many new arrivals.

The drum of civil unrest just seems to be beating louder lately!! Are the lunatics about to take over the asylum?

It's a long time in the making, but I'd hate to think people take to the streets over an influx of refugees during a war, rather than HSE being a **** show or people caring for their elderly parents or special needs children with no assistance!!

You aren't paying enough. If you where the jobs would be filled. Up the wages simple as that.

Tell me another country where you can be put on a list for being poor with an eventual award of a home worth hundreds of thousands. All you have to do is wait long enough.

Tell me of another country that provides such high amounts of weekly money for being unemployed.

Now translate that into a relative financial situation, and it would be like some mystical country where you'll eventually be given a home worth millions, and a weekly payment worth perhaps thousands versus the local situation.

If you have to squat in a house with 10 other people, no big deal, a lot probably consider that normal anyway. If you get a buckshee job on the side, why not? If you have to do a **** job for low wages while waiting for your lotto win, why not?

That's why. And there'd be a lot more reasons too, but I think those alone are far more than enough of a magnet.

You don't see crowds of Germans piling in, do you? No, it's usually people from worse situations. And that's reflected in the statistics.

It's all supremely simple to understand. Doesn't get any easier.

So should they increase costs to cover the increase in wages required?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Read the tweets.

The vast majority are giving out about it, saying #irelandisfull is bollocks

Do people not realise that including the hashtag you're attacking just makes it trend even more??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,842 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They do. It’s normally to dunk on any given trending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So Ireland can never be full? Is that what you are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,647 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is civil unrest starting to get louder and will it gain momentum? Do you think people will start taking to the streets?

That would mean getting off Twitter. Doubt it.

🤣🤣

<insert something poster never said>

Is that what you are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,842 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He said,

”no we just have idiot racists on twitter”

hope that clears it up. See thread title if you’re still confused about what the question was, nothing there about “never in a million years getting full” or whatever the **** hair you are trying to split

The kind of low foreheads that say the country isn't operating way beyond capacity are helpless at this point.

They can't look at schools, at the accommodation situation, at the transport situation, at the demographic implosion, at the healthcare situation and more.

Just a complete and utter disconnect with reality, pure ignorance.

And no doubt a good swathe of them will be sitting in a box somewhere that costs thousands, all while tapping on a screen, simultaneously complaining about the end result of immigration and defending more immigration.

No hope for those people, brainwashed, if they had one to be washed in the first place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a tiny percentage of people actually have a twitter account, and most of those don't tweet anyway. what's trending on twitter is not really an indication of the population as a whole (and i'm not saying we shouldn't be worried about people on twitter fomenting unrest).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Someone saying Ireland is full is a racist. So the only logical view to make people racist for thinking this, is that Ireland can never be full.

Do you even know what you are replying to? Shall we give you a few minutes to read the thread title?

I'll give a hint as to the point made, it's that overpopulation leads to competition for employment.

Can you follow the dots on your own from there?

So the only logical view

I'm afraid it seems your attempt at applying logic was a failure. Do please try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If someone who says "Ireland is full" is a racist, does that mean that the facts are racist, or that Ireland can never be full?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement