Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic 1.8 MPG

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

The civic is a great car and sorely missed, if my wife didn't crash it I'd still have it.

Reliable 100%

Fast, 1800cc.

Economical, especially on motorways.

Very practical, magic seats, spacious.

Insurance can be a bit more expensive, especially if the named driver has a provisional.

Happy to recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Peter256

How did you find the car comfort wise on secondary roads and on long journey's. It's just I read reviews by some owners complaining of ride discomfort. Did you own the hatchback model ? And would you totally rule out the 1.4 L option. The speed or acceleration wouldn't have to be critical for me as I would be driving mostly a short 17 km round day trip with no overtaking required mostly and the odd longer primary/motorway trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah the I-GT special edition had colour coded arches alright. It’s quite a standard model but they look quite smart in red with the facelift grille and rear lights.

interestingly I bought my then 5 year old Civic 1.8 in 2012 for less than what that 12 year old 1.4 is asking today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Sorry I haven't been on Boards much lately as I am busy with work.

Here is what I think, The Civic would be a fair bit quicker with 80BHP. Whereas the Yaris felt quite underpowered with 67BHP.

Also due to the I-DSI technology (the civic has 8 sparkplugs instead of 4 meaning each cylinder has 2 sparkplugs.) so the Civic archives better torque at midrange because of this. Nothing unbelievable, although it would be quicker at the traffic lights than the Yaris.

The 6-speed gearbox in the civic is nice also. I thought it would be a pain to get used to, although after the Yaris. However, you'll adjust to it easily enough.

The Yaris felt much more cramped in the front and back. In contrast, the Civic was far more comfortable. I specifically remember sitting into the Civic with the centre armrest when I got it back in 2017 and it just felt like a far better experience. I think this was largely due to the seat being better in the Civic with more leg room.

With passengers in the back, the Yaris was awful. You would nearly have to go down to the second gear when overtaking. Whereas the Civic isn't as bad. The civic also has a rear armrest/cupholder which is nice!

When driving the Yaris, with the lack of ABS is a pain in the arse. The Civic has VSA more info on this link. https://www.civinfo.com/threads/vsa-what-do-you-do-with-this-button.56747/

I remember also in the wet that the Yaris was very light and I wasn't a fan of the body role at all, the Civic wasn't as bad. In the snow, the Yaris and Civic were both pretty good with summer tyres.

As for reliability, both were similar. The only issue I had with either, was the rear axel on the Civic. Corrosion is very common on these rear axels and an OEM axel is 800. You'd get a VERY good spurious one for about 300 (if I remember correctly) from the north which comes with a 5-year guarantee. So no worries there. The sills on the years were starting to rust when we got rid.

When parking the Yaris would win, as it's smaller, the Civic is similar to the size of a golf and sometimes, you are back further than you think as the boot is larger.

When transporting large items the Civic is far superior. It also has magic seats which create more room when folded down. The seat can also be folded up against the backrest either. So it's very handy in that regard.

My Civic has just over 140k miles on the clock and if I wasn't doing high mileage I would keep it in a heartbeat. (The Yaris had 148k miles) I preferred the Civic overall and if I was to buy another I would go for a 1.8 as the 1.4 was pretty thirsty. Slightly underpowered as I said, although it has done me fine. The tax was the reason I chose the 1.4 originally as I didn't have much money, the 1.4 is the next best thing.

That is the stuff that stood out to me. If you have any questions holla. Hope this helps. Thanks for the tag @colm_mcm as I wouldn't have seen this otherwise. :)

It has a good enough spec the GT for the standard model, I think it even comes with air con.

That's amazing you got a 5 year old Civic back in 2012 for less than 4k. That was serious value. How did you get such a good price ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info. I think the facelift 2010 Civic has 100 BPH. What was the L/100KM or MPG you were getting ?

I would be driving it with probably only myself and another passenger at most so I wouldn't have a load in it to really notice any acceleration issues and I have been driving a Yaris for the last few months so I should notice the improvement that you had. The brakes in the Yaris I find very good and sharp for a 05 even better than the Mazda 6 I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

No problem at all. On the way home from Dublin to Sligo, I achieved 39.9mpg according to the dash. I'd say that is quite optimistic though. I never bother to work out the correct mpg figure, to be honest.

Yeah, my Yaris was a 99. Your 05 yaris would be better overall..

The Yaris always shows 5.3L/100KM (53 MPG) it never changes this figure and the Mazda always showed 7.2 L/100KM for the last year. Maybe these figures are not the true MPG.

Does the Honda computer show you a different MPG for each trip you do? That sounds more accurate. But 39 MPG sounds hard for a 1.4. The seller told me it does between 45 MPG to 50 but i suppose he would tell me that.

I just did a history check there on the Civic and looks like the owner is another one of these traders that are prenteding to be a private seller. It looks to have had 3 owners (not including garages) overall but it had many trade sales over it's time. The third owner sold it in March last year who had it for 52 months so I guess I guess that's when it was last driving on the road. Between March 2021 and now it has changed hands with 3 different traders. The first 2 only held it for 5 and 7 days and the latest trader owner has owned it for the past 17 months. Between owner Number 2 and 3 it went through 3 different traders sales also but as I said owner no 3 held it for 52 months so it must have been going alright for them.

I am just wondering now would the car be still worth a look still at and get a mechanic to check if I like it. The history check isn't showing any discepancy in mileage but not sure how accurate that is. Would the fact that the latest owner (trader) has it for the past 17 months be a red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I was looking at a civic too but more the 2.2 diesel, €7000 12 years old , still not a bad looking car i think, at least the trim cant go grey.

• Advertisement

The Civic I am looking at is the exact same year and colour with the colour coded trim also and 1.4 petrol. I was looking at another red one that has the black trim and it had a few bits on panels that had gone to a faded pinkish in colour so even though this one was closer to me and cheaper price the paint issues put me off it. At least the one you are looking at isn't by a dealer who is hiding as a private seller like the one I am looking at.

The diesel model is also reliable as long as you are doing a lot of mileage and motorway driving so not to have any DPF problems.

To be honest I was never mad about the shape of these but they are growing on me and I am after the reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It's suspension is a bit stiff, generally it's fine but sharp edge speed ramps are noticed and ripped tarmacadam.

I saw a Civic for sale in Northern Ireland for sale in immaculate condition inside and outside with low mileage at a good price.

It's just when I checked the history the most recent MOT showed 3 advisories. 1. A small chip on windscreen. 2. A small oil leak. 3. Corrosion of rear chassis, axil and suspension.

Would you rule out buying this car ? Or could I still buy it and get those issues sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Hi the civic 1.8 will do around that 7l/100km or better if ok with right foot, that engine is fairly economical until you press on. Its much nicer and smoother than the 1.4 which is rough when revved. I had choice of both and went with 1.8 - also its pretty much bulletproof.

Note the saloon civic is independent rear suspension the hatch is a torsion beam. The saloon is very comfortable - just ensure you check under back chasis for rust - other than that great car.

They might have a bullet proof engine but there seems to be issues with rust underneath on most of them which is kind of putting me off to be honest.

It depends on where the car was and when made. 2007 like mine, paint was thin. 2009 onwards all good.

I was looking at a 2011 in North Ireland looks immaculate condition with only 95 k miles and I seen on the MOT history that there was an advisory about corrosion on the rear axl and chassis and suspension. I asked the owner about it and he said he never got it checked as it was only an advisory but he presumes its only surface rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

I have a 2010 Cvic 1.8 saloon for the last 4 years.

Averaging 6.8 l /100km doing 100km round trip motorway commute. Car has been very reliable since I owned it.

Northern cars always were a little more inclined to rust due to amount of salt used in winters, we have started to use nearly as much so the future holds more rusting if not washed off.

Note one thing I really liked in the saloon (still do as still have the 2007 1.8) are the seats are particularly comfortable and different to the hatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Advertisement