Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic 1.8 MPG

Options
  • 16-08-2022 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I am now looking at petrol cars as I only doing 10k km a year now. My previous 2011 diesel Mazda 6 did 7.2L/100KM (40 MPG) and that was doing mostly 8.5Km each/way trip per day and some longer trips on some weekends. It use to to 6L/100KM but my shorter trips now has increased this.

I am looking at Carrolas, Civics and Lancers and I like the Civic saloon 1.8 or hatchback 1.4 petrol. It looks to have the best spec much better than the Carrola whose spec seems very basic with not even air conditioning.

I am guessing my short trip driving would be considered same to Urban driving ? So i read the Civic does 32 MPG Urban. Does anyone know the real MPG for this 2010 1.8 Civic and does it drink a lot of petrol ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I had one and found it quite good on petrol. Averaged over 40mpg with a mixture of driving, and was tipping 60mpg if driven like a granny at a constant 80km/h (just to see if it could, don’t expect that mpg!)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Peter256

So if I am changing over from a 2.2 diesel that had 280 tax and 40 mpg on short trip driving. What will be the benefit will getting a 1.8 Honda Civic? I am guessing I wouldn't have to worry about DPF issues and have a more reliable car in the Civic even though fuel wise more expensive ?

Also what do you think of the 1.4 Civic hatchback. I read that they are low on power but a lot of power wouldn't be critical to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Have a 1.4 golf, smallest car/engine I have driven in a long time, get 50 mpg mostly and have no problem with acceleration overtaking motorways etc. I consider a faster car a waste of time nowadays.

You’ll have the benefit of them being utterly reliable.

It will need to be worked harder than the Mazda, which has lots more low down torque.

So do you think the Civic will be much more expensive than the Mazda on fuel ? I wouldn't be driving that hard. Mostly 100 Km/hr tops on secondary/back roads and 120 on motorway.

• Advertisement

like for like it will certainly use a bit more, especially on the motorway.

I thought on motorway you will be in 6th gear so the MPG would be at it's most economical then or maybe that's just in a diesel is it ?

I think around 80 is the sweet spot for mpg on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

• Advertisement

Do you mean 80 KM/HR ? I wouldn't want to be in a hurry so lol.

What you think of this Civic or do you prefer the hatchback ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-saloon-1-8-petrol/31927917

Those figures are better than the official VW combined figure for the 1.4 Golf so you’re doing well

the hatch is more aerodynamic and lighter than the saloon and it’s def lighter on fuel. Friend had the saloon when I had the hatch so it’s easy to compare them, even though they’re both civics they’re very different cars.

The saloon is definitely more grown up and traditional, it’s got arguably better quality interior and is probably marginally quieter. It absolutely has more comfortable suspension.

the hatchback is designed way better though, there’s unreal use of space in them. The exhaust runs behind the drivers side sill, the petrol tank is under the front seats, so the floor is low and flat on them, you get great rear room, a really low boot floor and seats that go completely flat into the floor or can fold up like cinema seats if you want to carry stuff in the back standing up, hatch has a nicer looking dash, better laid out controls and in most cases more spec. It’s also nicer to drive despite the slightly crashy rear suspension

Civics are quite overpriced though, especially 1.8 hatchbacks. I loved mine but I wouldn’t pay the money they’re asking right now.

Yeah I saw in a few videos the hatchback has great space. A lot of used cars are overpriced these days especially with inflation and with the Civics reliability they hold there value well.

Was the bumpy suspension very noticeable and uncomfortable or is it a relatively comfortable car overall ?

It wasn’t a bone shaker or anything, but you’d notice the lack of suspension travel on speed bumps especially. I didn’t mind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I’ve a 141 Civic 1.4L hatch since 2015, only do 9k/10k a year, all town driving, 73k on the clock. The dash tells me I’m getting 7.7L/100km, think that equates to 36.29mpg. We’ve a diesel for the longer trips so can’t comment on how good or bad it’s consumption would be.

Coming from a 2.2l diesel you will notice less power, you’ll get used to it but once up to cruising speed It’s absolutely fine

Overall I’m delighted with it, other than annual service, tyres as required, I’ve had to do zero, I’ll probably drive it on for another 4/5 years, probably only buy another 1 or 2 cars in my driving lifetime (usually drive our cars for 10 years)& based on comfort, reliability & decent spec I’d definitely strongly consider going Honda again

• Registered Users Posts: 51,124 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If only doing 10k km a year I don't think mpg on a 1.8 Civic would be a deal breaker to be honest.

That's not too bad MPG for only town driving. I am actually driving an old Yaris 05 1.0 petrol at the minute and even though it would be far from the same level of what I had with my Mazda 2.2 performance wise but I didn't actually think about the difference in torque that much but it's only 5.3 L/100KM. I probably shouldn't think I would find the torque too bad in the Civic 1.4 and get used to it.

I saw someone say that you will need to rev out the 1.4 civic more than the 1.8 so there is very little difference in MPG in both. But the road tax is double the price and maybe insurance also.

The 1.4 Civic will be marginally better than the 1.0 Yaris in terms of acceleration etc

@job seeker has had both of these so could give you a good comparison

There is a difference of € 300 per year in tax also.

• Advertisement

It must be the €570 in the saloon model so and I seen the specs online show the hatchback is average 6.6L/100KM with the saloon 7L/100KM. I know in reality these figures will be higher depends on how they are driven

That’s 42mpg average which is what I was getting on mine. Nothing wrong with that

I saw someone driving one of YouTube vid and the dash computer was showing 8.7L/100 KM, maybe it was just town driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

I'm driving a 2009 1.8. I'm getting about 38mpg I think. Much of that would be urban driving though. Mechanically it has been rock solid. Only issue I've had is with the speedo, recently started flashing up 888. Supposedly a known issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

Why not just keep the diesel that you have and rest assured you know its service history etc. 10k km is plenty fine for a diesel especially if you do the odd longer spin. There's a lot of DPF/EGR fearmongering relating to diesels and lower mileage when a M/N road spins every few weeks will for the most part prevent issues.

I don't have the diesel anymore, I was involved in an accident and it was wrote off. I know the Mazda diesel have a bad rep but after I got the injector seals done on mine, there wasn't much other issues for the 4 years I had it apart from needing a new alternator and brakes done. It was lovely car to drive with a high spec. I didn't have any DPF issues as I did do the odd long drive.

I went to look at another one last week the exact same spec Mazda. It seemed in great condition and driving well, so I called a mechanic to go check it and he advised me not the buy one because he had around 10 Mazda diesel engines sitting in his yard. He told me they had injector problem. I told him I knew all about this issue from my previous experience and that if the injector seals are changed when the car is running well, then there shouldn't be any problems once the oil is changed every 10k. The mechanic said he would check the car if I wanted but he said he would advise against buying another Mazda 6 diesel. He advised to get a petrol like maybe 1.4 Carrola or something like that. He said unless you are doing 30k plus millage pe year or driving around the country then there is no need to have a diesel.

I was just looking at a lot of different cars on the road the past few days and I haven't seen one Civic. Why is that ? I thought there would be many when they are one of the most reliable cars?

Because they were the same price as a Toyota Avensis at the time.

A good few people that frequent this forum had them, I don’t remember seeing any horror stories.

• Advertisement

I have read a lot of owner reviews about them online and there are nearly all positive. I have seen a few people complaining of discomfort on back roads and poor rear visibility with no wiper when raining but I guess I will have to bring one for test drive to find out.

I am looking at one in red 2010. The condition looks excellent inside and out and looks polished. It doesn't have the black strip around arches are bottom sides or bumper, that's all in red. The only thing is the grey strip moulding at bottom of front mesh has a crack but it wouldn't be a major thing. It has 130 k miles which isn't bad. The owner said it was low mileage even though I wouldn't call it low myself. He seemed to be in a bit of a hurry on the phone when I was asking questions and just told me to ring when I want to call to look at it. What you think of it in red ?

Advertisement