Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As long as you can do it on the sofa: The Trends for Job-seeking in Ireland & Europe

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,980 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We desperately need more skilled trades people. Kids just don't want to graft on **** money for a few years and miss the college experience. Its a pity because these are practical skills that are transferable to any place on the planet and I'm not sure they realize it. If I could have my time back I'd jump into a trade for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Another reason it's hard to take up an apprenticeship in your 30's or 40's is the apprenticeship money. People in their 30's or 40's normally have a lot more financial commitments by that age than a teenager would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

and that's one of the big reasons people don't go into trades.

The physicalty of the job in many trades puts a lower age limit on continuing to work than in a less pysical job.

With the government pension age increasing, this is going to become an increasing problem.

Advertisement