Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Tatoos Naff?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yes I think that are naff just like m performance stickers on bmws and those 3d number plates.

Why is that? Crikey, there's far worse said!

Anyway, depends on the tattoo/person. They can look great imo - but others don't like them at all, and that's grand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

You can tell a lot by a person's tattoos:

If they have a tribal tattoo on their shoulder/upper arm there is a 99% chance they were a plasterer or block layer during the Celtic tiger

If they have a tramp stamp there is a 86% chance that person has slept with over 150 men

If they have a sleeve tattoo there is an 89% chance they are under 35 and that the sleeve has a clock or angel in the design

If they have a tattoo on their neck there is a 100% chance they are on social welfare and have at least 3 children, of which 2 will end up in prison

Tattoos used to be the preserve of tough ne'er-do-well, undesirable types. Now, the wussiest people imaginable have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Some are, some are not. That Marty Whelan one is definitely naff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 StemCell

That's exactly what they want you to do.

It's a cry for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you can see someones tattoo from 15 foot away its too big, anyone i see with a sleeve tattoo i presume they are a boxer, wrestler, or a criminal ,drug user or an egomaniac ,or someone who is self obsessed , like women who get lip injections or botox injections trying desperately to look like a kardashian or some idiot on love island. i have no problem with someone who gets a tattoo on their arm,back ,neck if its small .

i have no idea why someone gets a large tattoo on their arm or their neck ,its like look at me, i,m cool, tough, am i not cool, i,d say 90 per cent of men in prison have a tattoo.Tattoo,s used to be mostly popular with ,gangsters, criminals, punks ,artists , weirdos, serial killers ,

eg a sign of someone extreme who wants to be outside normal society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

The tramp stamp on the 23 year old Texan babe who was playing pool with me in Salthill last month was a work of art tbh.

It really suited everyone in the pub, it was a popular design.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I see it's become a fashion to have them on your calves nowadays. Which I usually see of guys wearing shorts in cold weather walking an aggressive looking dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I guarantee you no-one who has any cares whether anyone else thinks they're naff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Nobody put it better than that comedian who said "would you put a bumper sticker on a ferrari?".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,615 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Pretty crap analogy because very very few people are " Ferraris" & most cars look better with , new alloys, spoiler, front splitter ,lowered, so on & so on ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Well not really, given that there's nothing wrong with aspiring to be a 'ferrari', or having as much respect for yourself as if you were a ferrari; i.e, get a good haircut, get in shape, dress well, speak well, and then (depending on your physique and looks) you're probably not too far off being a ferrari. It's a great comparison between trashy cars and the (lets face it) 'more likely to be' trashy people that get tatoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm quite happy to be trashy with tattoos rather than be passing judgement on people on the basis of their appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I agree with whoever said that tattoos were stupid people's way of letting everyone else know how stupid they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

As an employer tattoos are an essential part of the recruitment process. I have weeded out many candidates within 5 seconds of them walking into the room on the basis of "If they are stupid enough to do that to themselves I'm not leaving them any where near my business".

So getting a tattoo is not respecting yourself ?

Why do you think trashy people only get tattoos , I'm not trashy at all and have several ,

IS there a certain type of tattoo that makes you this or just any tattoo, guys like Jack Dorsey , Jen Shu lian all the way back to Theodor Roosevelt had tattoo .

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

Every second clown has a tattoo these days so yes, I think they can be considered naff at this stage. I picked up two in my late teens/early twenties which is a few decades ago at this stage. I went to the expense, effort and pain of getting one of them removed but not sure if I will bother getting the 2nd one removed. It can't typically be seen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

100% naff to my eyes

But nobody is forcing me to get one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Tatoos on the neck are the main method of identifying Super Scum bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

How's the view from the Ivory Tower this afternoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Publicly visable tattoos are a public statement ... Like the clothes that you wear . For a some job interviews you wear a suit , for others it'd be a bit overkill ...so for some jobs no one would mind for others no thanks ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They're obviously not all scumbags, but definitely a poor choice and limiting yourself employment wise.

But if you're happy being a hairdresser or a mechanic, knock yourself out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I wouldnt want to work for a company that had such a narrow minded view.

Im fully sleeved, multiple tattoos yet I wear a suit every day and you wouldnt even know I had tattoos unless you saw me on a weekend. Im in higher management and theres plenty of people I know in very high up positions with more ink than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You keep yours hidden in certain environments. Some others need to as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Back from holidays now but while at a water park there saw a small, scrawny guy with his kids. Lots of tats, including, in large writing across his stomach, “**** the police”.

I think obscenities on clothing, t shirts etc are crass. Even years ago the FCUK thing, was, IMHO, childish.

But to permanently write something like that on your body and expose it to children etc is a sign of, well, I am not sure what it is a sign of but certainly not the “look at me, I am so tough and edgy” image he may have been hoping to portray.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭Breezy_

2 ink colours banned and more to follow cuz of unknown ingredients and nano particles.

Plus yea, they're nasty looking on 95% of people

• Advertisement

Some people get a tattoo or tattoos of something that means a lot to them personally, represents something or someone that has emotional resonance for them - could be a major life event, or a loss. Thinking they're ALL stupid or trashy or incompetent is not the brightest in and of itself.

Advertisement