Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What wedge setup are ye all using ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I have a set with a 43 degree PW where I use a 48 GW then a 54 SW and a 60 LW

I have a different set with a 45 PW and a 50 GW and the same 54 and 60 set up as with the first set.

Im not convinced on the 60 LW, I think I might go back to a 58 LW as I got on better at that loft in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

I got new irons there in the summer and the PW is 44 degrees. I've been going 44, 50, 56, 60. Having had a few months of play with them, I'm almost certain I'm going to drop the 60 altogether and just stop at 56. Probably go 48, 52, 56. For me, the 50 just doesn't quite "fit" anywhere. Not strong enough to really be a full swing club, but, again for me, pitch shots come out a tiny bit too fiery.

I know the 60 can be great in an emergency, but I use the Shot Scope tags, and for 41 rounds this year my proximity from <50 yards is 6 feet closer with the 56 degree than with the 60. Granted that's for 200 shots with the 56 and only 101 with the 60 and I'd only use the 60 in a difficult situation or in bunkers, so it's maybe not a 100% fair comparison, but I'm not sure its worth a full time spot in the bag tbh. It could be a squad player maybe 😀!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

PW 47 degrees Wilson V6 from set

52 vokey

56 vokey

seems to gap quite well for me and I play 95% links golf so no need for a 60

Great to have that sort of info Russman. You could try 48, 52 bent to 53 and a 58 degree. But if you have no bother getting the 56 up high when needed then stick with the 56. I find it interesting so many pros don’t bother with a 60. Their highest loft is 58.

For me the 60 is a club I would never take a full swing with. I use it mainly for bunkers and lobbing over things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed - I'll be moving on from my 60degree soon. Too much of a tendancy to push it when forcing it. Have way more control over a pitch shot anyway with a 52/56 degree

I might change to a 58 degree just to be able to have the loft confidence in bunkers. Wouldn't want to go below that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm just thinking if bryson was to post here I'm guessing he'd declare he has 9 wedges and he can hit his (25 degree) pitching wedge further than most pros hit a 4 iron.

Yeah I might try a 58, but I’ve mixed thoughts on it tbh. I’m old enough (40s !) that I grew up and learned to play with 56 as my most lofted, and it’s by far my best club in the bag. Not sure I want to give that up for two extra degrees. For me, a lobber can be great in certain situations, but I’d never make a full swing with it and could easily go 3 rounds without using it, it’s pretty much exclusively for extreme short sides and bunkers.

Edit, actually I just see an email in from McGuirks about a wedge sale. Maybe I’ll pick up a cheapo 58 as an experiment for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I think I must be one of the few people that like using their 60 degree for more than just emergencies. I find it very versatile around the green if chipping into tight or awkward pins. For me it would be one of the last clubs I take out of my bag. At the moment I have a 60, 56, 50 and P wedge but think I could maybe do with a 48 over the 50 as there is a bit too much of a gap between it and my P wedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

PW(46) 52 56 60

Agree with the above on the 60degree. Have been reading for years that most amateurs shouldn't bother with it, etc.. I don't use mine to chip as such. I use it mainly for most shots from around 85 - 40 yards - unless there's a lot of wind. Maybe I de-loft a bit on the non full shots? It would definitely be the club that gives me most confidence in that range. Also use it for greenside bunker shots in wet, compacted sand or if it feels not much sand under the ball.

Virtually all professionals have either a 58 or 60 LW. I suppose it comes down to gapping and what they find gets the job done for them.

Seve was a wizard with the wedge and I think he used a 56.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Mine are 44, 50, 54 & 60

I must say I love my 50 & 60 degree wedges, I use them everywhere from approach to around the green but I play mainly on a parkland course.

I only drop the 60 when playing links and off tight lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have a 60* gathering dust on my garage. Went years ago with a set that was 52,56,60. I love my 56* and am comfortable opening the face anyway to give me more loft and bounce. So the 60 kinda felt redundant.

I think the consensus on lob wedges was correct at the time and still is today. Amateurs don't have the distance control and technique (in general) to use one effectively around the green so the advice is to bump and run or stick with something like a 56*. I fell into that trap and used to grab the 60* all the time around the green, good few years on now 56* is the default for me. Just feel I can do so much with it.

I got a new set of irons a few weeks ago and need to do a gap fitting session. I'm toying with the idea of bringing a lob wedge back into the mix.

I've been using the 'new' technique for bunkers and have to say finding it working well. While I was always a decent bunker player the new method just seems so much easier. That does tend to lend itself to using more loft so I'll probably have a decision to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

Clubs and lofts with my performance average (and actual average to show how crap and inconsistent I am) from shot scope for the last 15 rounds:

Club - Loft - PAvg - Avg

PW - 45 - 138y - 126y

GW - 50 - 130y - 119y

SW - 54 - 117y - 98y

LW - 60 - 80y - 60y

Lob Wedge can definitely go a further (90y+) on full shots but I use it for all my short game so that skews the averages.

Regarding not using a lob wedge around a green - I can never understand why people default to a wedge around a green. I use an 8 iron (36 degrees loft) whenever I can. When people are using wedges they seem to be either putting energy into getting extra height on the shot or closing the face and putting extra spin on it. I just don't get it - the softest swing possible just seems more reliable to me.

Even as regards taking break out of it, it's only really the last third where the shot really takes the break.

Having said that, I actually carry a lob wedge. It's pretty much reserved for short shots that I need to get up and down quickly. I don't actually know how far a full swing with it would go. And I'll often use wedges around the green too - if I've to get over some rough first, or it's steeply downhill or I don't have much green to work with, or if because or contours there's no decent place to land it. But I'll use my 8 iron for at least 2 thirds of the chips around the green. I think that's unusual and I don't know why.

A lot of it is going to be the trickle down effort from professionals. Like obviously you watch what the best players do and then replicate yourself as best you can.

Your 8 iron shot is a bump and run. It's not unusual, it has definitely gone a bit of out fashion but it shouldn't at our level. It's a really reliable and dependable chipping method.

I know for me, as much as I can and do play bump and runs, I just find a wedge infinitely more versatile. There is a range of shots I can play regardless of lie and it's just a lot more workable. I'm probably bias, but bump and runs are something quick and easy to pickup and learn. And its a good shot to have. But if you can get good with a wedge it's versatility is unmatched imo.

The closing the face, is what you mean folks delofting it and leaning forward? There is still that really old style pitch and putt method used which was fine for the times, but I don't think has any place with modern wedges. Just about any player you see or instruction is going to harp on about bounce. And why you should be using it.

In fairness I was taught as a kid with that method, lean forward, ball back in stance, shaft lean and that you are nipping the ball for check. Just a ridiculous method nowadays.

I think its one of those that hangs around because its what comfortable or what people assume is still how its done. I had a lesson earlier in the year around chipping and was shown these new methods, coach immediately wanted me to get out of that old fashion technique. Been a world of difference and can just see the massive improvement, nevermind my Arcoss data backing it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Bump and runs with an 8 iron are fine when you're just off the green but if you have 10 yards of fairway to cover, or some rough, then a wedge is much more versatile. If you're on links then fair enough, but a lot of parklands you can't rely on a good bounce off the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In regard to pitching, check out Padraig Harrington's videos on YouTube

He actually puts the ball opposite his left foot now and just wants to bruise the ground pretty much. It's so much different to what I remember as a child (the shorter the club, the further back in your stance the ball goes)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I've put a lot of practice in lately and am very comfortable using my lob wedge now, would use it before any of the others from less than 60m to the green. I'd still bump and run my 7 iron from the fringe if I can't putt but any chips are with the LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Would agree with a lot of what @TheDoc says but would add that in my view the ceiling is much higher with a wedge than an 8i as well as being a much more useful skill than being good at a bump and run. Depending on your home course but i'd say a lot of golfers might have the chance to bump and run a ball only a few times a round. If you're not comfortable with a wedge in your hand around the green then you are really limiting yourself, it basically means giving up on getting up and down from behind a bunker or when short sided as a bump and run can't work in those situations. I suppose it depends on the player too, my dad is very handy with an 8i and its his go to when he can play it as he struggles with a high lofted wedge. For me my 58d Vokey is my favourite club in the bag by some margin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭coillcam

Wedge setup for correct gapping is one thing.

Then you've still got the unlimited grind/bounce options purely for short game situations. Course type, sand in bunkers, grass, time of year, links vs parkland. It's all relative.

I try to practice short game more than anything else and I could spend the rest of my life at it but still end up nowhere.

Ultimately the old adage keep it simple stupid rings through in golf as much as anywhere in life.

I've tried to limit my repertoire to a small menu of "go to" options but I still think that I can over complicate for my level.

Draw swing chip that's lower and releases a little more. Cut swing chip with a slightly higher and spinnier result. 9i bump and run.

Drop the handle to use heel from rough. Bunker chunk and bunker normal. Normal pitch and wristy/high pitch. High pitch is easier than a proper "flop" with consistent result.

What I love to try is to test myself with is picking a shot and trying 4 different club options. See if I find something different with the result but same technique.

I've a 46 set pw, then 50/54/58 wedges. Its perfect for me now. The only change I can see might be to have a option of a special LW for super firm summer conditions with fluffy sand. That's an absolute luxury.

The only thing I can add to the thread is to be as versatile as possible. Yes have your distances/gap figured. Just don't leave yourself with low bounce on a super soft course or purely high bounce on hard turf. Be somewhere in the middle unless you're happy to buy 6 wedges for all situations.

I saw new, they've been around for years. I guess I consider it kinda when I was taught in my teens vs what is taught now.

10+ years ago it was very much

• Ball back of the stance
    • Shaft lean forward
    • Extreme weight forward
    • Drive down on the back of the ball, with some minor out to in to generate cut spin

The idea was hitting down on the ball would generate backspin, coupled with the cut spin gave you that serious check and stop. It was also a lower flight.

But with club technology and just the way swings are looked at thats changed. Now is much more

• Ball middle of the stance
    • Contact at the low point of your swing
    • No shaft lean.

This encourages using the bounce on the club to do the work for you, and with the way balls and grooves are now anyway you still generate that huge spin and check.

You then also throw in the additional stuff.

• With no real obstacles or danger, moving your wedge up vertically and stand really close to the ball. Avoid duffs and heavy shots, generates nice speed and hard to make a mess off.
    • Opening the club face to utilise additional bounce, to make even cleaner contacts and spin.

I used to read chips kinda like an imaginary line to the hole and be working out the breaks cause I'd be hitting these low chips. But there was so much variance and risk. With such a thin leading edge could duff it, thin it, check to short, check not at all.

With the recent methods I pretty much just decide where I want to have my putt from and throw the ball there. Even your bad shots are still leaving yourself with makable putts.

As someone mentioned there is some great stuff on youtube talking about it.

The big thing for me with chipping is have an array of shots. You will of course have clubs or shots you are most comfortable with, but if you can have 2-3 options on every shot, it makes a world of difference (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Great tips thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Got clubs during year including PW and GW. Wedge set up was what recommended by fitter. Was going to change below 52/56 set up but for some reason works as is (maybe not really a 43/48)? Think 58 is down on the yardage as use it for 70 to 80 yard shots always

PW 43, 112-119 yards

GW 48, 102-109 yards

Volkey 54, 89 - 97 yards

volkey 58, 68 - 78 yards

volkey 60…L grind, 04 bounce…hard sand-bunkers or very tight lies only, usually winter play only, just works for me

above from arccos. Usually use bump and run when near green.

I'm just not convinced that seeing more 8 irons used around the greens wouldn't lower scores in general. Obviously the wedges are more versatile, but the most versatile repertoire is the one with the wedge chips and the bump and runs.

I grew up playing parkland and even being a member or a links now still played a decent portion of my golf this year on parklands. An 8i around the green is very often an excellent option. As I said, ideally you wouldn't be landing it off the green. And certainly if I had to land it on a slope or rough I'd consider whether or not a wedge would be more reliable.

But what I see when I play is lads using high lofted clubs around green s and too often going from a position where they should leave themselves a makable putt to leaving it way short or thinning it past the hole and suddenly they've a difficult two putt. And it's not as if they're leaving themselves heaps of tap ins too.

I get the impression though that the bump and run isn't really taught anymore though. There must be logic to it from the teaching pros. But I just don't see it on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I don’t necessarily disagree but I think it very much depends on the level of the golfer. There’s a world of difference in some players short games, you can have high handicap players with exceptional short games and vice versa. It’s just my opinion that a wedge is much more effective in the right hands than a bump and run.

Bump and run is definitely a shot that has been forgotten about. Can kinda see even with the way its talked about a lot on youtube vids and stuff :D

It's that trickle down effect from the pro game though, no one bump and runs professionally anymore, even at The Open. So folks watching are naturally going to assume wedge is the play. And to be honest I still think it is, but it's a serious skillset imo that needs a lot of practice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭coillcam

As amateurs we see the pros taking out the lobber all around the green week in week in out. It rubs off and the manufacturers are keen to push all of the new wedges too. A large part of it comes down to the courses and conditions the pros face each week. They play a lot more bump n runs in St Andrews vs the various parklands with different grasses in the states. The setups will be face at home are vastly different save for a few hot/dry weeks. Still I think it's human nature to try to follow what the top players are doing. I'd see a few lads at 5 a side that should spend less time on the stepovers tbh 😁.

Generally speaking, if I have a shot near the edge of the green I try to putt it as my #1 option. If the lie/situation isn't ideal I switch to a 9i, but that doesn't happen as often. The further away from the green it is, I alternate between 54/58 but mostly it's 54 and the extra bounce. The 58 is useful if I need the extra spin or height but it's a little higher tariff and needs extra practice. Most times, I find it easier to chip my 54 over the majority of the break or undulations. It just feels more natural than trying to gauge the break and speed with a 9i.

The few lads I played with recently in the softer conditions all had the consensus of being more aggressive with their chipping. They'd auto default to SW or LW. "Fire it in at the pin" over the slower and less true greens coming into winter.

Totally agree there's a big trickle down effect from the pro game. Obviously with the green speeds and pin positions they play on, a lob wedge is almost completely necessary. Mind you, you'd be surprised at the amount of times its their middle wedge they chipped with. Plus they get to practice daily with their lob wedges and get proficient with them. Not to turn this post into a bash lob wedges one, I'm not anti them at all, but I've yet to see an amateur or club golfer actually be consistently good with one. We all remember the hero shot that someone pulls off, but rarely think twice when we see a guy with a stock 40/50 yard pitch that comes up 20 feet short of the pin and he mutters "ahh, f--k it, I didn't hit it....". Half the time its because he hit a 60 when it wasn't the right shot. IMO they do have a place and if you can find a spot in your bag for it, and are disciplined enough to only use it when its needed, they can be a great club. The problem I have at the minute is that might only be one shot a round, or one shot in 2 or 3 rounds. Granted I can have a round where I'd need it 3 times, but its rare.

Re bump and run, definitely a dying art, but can be very effective. You might not stiff it, but your bad one won't be all that bad. I actually think Ping might be on to something with the ChipR, if they can get a bit more traction with it and/or lower the price point. Most of the online reviews are very positive, usually starting off with someone being very dubious about it but becoming a convert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

I use the hybrid when just off the green and if slightly further back will use a 50. I just seem to have more control on where I land it. Can rarely get a ball to check anyway so happy to land halfway and let it roll there

Advertisement