Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mssing something? Don't think so. We're being conned!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I did read your posts. All they told me was you were happy to put up with poor service rather than go to a better service provider and report your landlord for failure to meet minimum standards. Insurance alone would have been over the amount you CLAIM they spent only €500.

Plumbers have opinions and vested intersts in getting a tenant to insist on a new boiler etc... Whole other issue but I had a plumber service a boiler and a few weeks later it stopped working. He came back and claimed the whole boiler needed to be replaced. It turned out when he serviced it he put the vent back incorrectly causing the problem. The other plumber said it was a common trick to make it seem like you needed a new boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

As someone who knows about boilers, I'm pretty sure a boiler installed 28 years ago is in need of replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,506 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'm not disagreeing, just that no politician that wants to be elected would go down the path needed to implement it properly, it would be a career killer and they'd be carted off to Europe as soon as possible.

Which means we'll get an improper implementation to appease the populists and then fizz as no one really pays it or get angry when an article is released about how richy rich doesn't pay it but poor joe duffy caller did.

That is nice but I noticed you didn't acknowledge the points about your own abilities to address your issues with your landlord. You remained using a service you weren't happy with and did nothing official which were within your rights. What I do when I am not happy with a service is try to get the service addressed if that fails I go to another service provider.

Considering you are so angry about the whole thing why you stayed can only be blamed on you

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

"There was something you could have done" is not the greatest argument, Ray.

If a person is providing a service then the responsibility is on that person to provide the service - it should not be on the person paying for the service to ensure they are getting what they are paying for.

And before you make another of your comparisons, someone's home (and the person supplying it) does not compare with where they do their weekly shop.

• Advertisement

I disagree completely. As a consumer you should always be aware of your rights and be willing to act if you are not given the service. The very reason why there are regulatory bodies is to insure standards are adhered to and an outlet to allow consumers address grievances. He stayed for 10 years and is complaining now but did nothing. Only himself to blame for staying as he could have left.

What is a terrible argument is to blame an entire industry on one service provider not providing the correct service. On top of that doing nothing about it

The comparison I made was on pricing models based on the suppliers costs which includes whether they own the premises. I can compare hotel prices and services if that makes it easier for you to understand. Hotel A could be in the heart of the city and be fully paid for and owned outright. A new hotel B can be built on finance and located outside the city. Price for hotel A will and can be more expensive regardless of the price paid for the property and upkeep. Same applies to rental properties as everybody knows location,location, location.

I never once said that a consumer should not be aware of their rights - I spoke of responsibility. You say a consumer should "always be willing to act if you are not given the service", but this is not practical advice here. If someone followed your advice today, you would likely be rendering them homeless.

A tenant being mistreated for a decade is providing you with the take-away of "well, they should have found something better, then". Think about that. It is precisely this world-view that permeates these discussions and causes much of the heated back-and-forth.

Your comparisons are still bad.

How would somebody become homeless as a result? Please explain because a tenant can stop paying rent and it takes 2 years to remove them. The landlord would be seriously on trouble if they kicked out a tenant with a complaint against them. Do you think judges don't know what a landlord is doing if they kick out a tenant once they make a complaint? Have you ever gone through anything with the PRTB?

The OP never said he was mistreated by the landlord just they didn't provide the service they are meant to. If he was not getting the service and/or felt mistreated they should have made a complain and/or gone somewhere else. What do you think I don't understand that I should "Think about that". What is the world view where you should complain online about a service while doing nothing about IRL and claim that the entire industry is like this? Think about that

If you have a better comparison then give it. Note that you haven't actually said why my comparisons are bad. You do understand comparisons are not exactly the same as a situation?

Homeless if they 'choose to find another service'. The point was to highlight how a tenant doesn't have the luxury of just finding somewhere else to rent.

"The OP never said he was mistreated by the landlord just they didn't provide the service they are meant to". -> What would you call a landlord not providing the service they were paid to provide, if not mistreatment? The world view I'm talking about is the one which allows you to somehow not see someone failing to providing the service they were paid to as mistreatment.

I'm not trying to compare the rental market to something else, you are. I don't think there is a good comparison that can be drawn.

You accused me of not living in the real world yet you don't think comparisons exist and for 10 years there was no way to find another place to live. Along with using a word "mistreatment" which has a lot more stronger meaning than receiving poor service provision for a person who did nothing in their power to adress the issue. OP was not a batter spouse with no options but a grown adult that rather than actually do something to fix their situation did nothing and complains on the internet as a claim the ENTIRE industry is the same.

If I felt as the OP I would do something about it but some people just rather complain or maybe exaggerate. OP still hasn't said why they personally didn't do anything so why don't you let them explain. I mean they have gone on about how the whole industry is an issue and all the problems it has but never explained why they put up with it . Instead they want to give out about a tax change to keep more landlords in the industry because they had a bad landlord. I don't like bad landlords either but I don't assume that all landlords are bad or all tenants are bad because I have dealt with some that have been bad.

• Advertisement

No bother, Ray - let's agree to disagree and leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Who bought all the stuff that was in the house when you moved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The landlords, when they lived in the house initially. They won't spend anything on repairing or replacing things though, basically. I have bought tvs, mattresses, curtains, ironing boards, lawnmowers, hoovers.

TV, hoover,ironing board are personal items you pay for not landlord provided. If they are they don't need to be replaced. Mattress, lawnmower and curtains should be from the landlord but I suspect you wanted new ones when there was nothing wrong with the originals and you changed them for personal choices. In other countries people bring mattresses with them because you can't expect a landlord to buy a high quality mattress. I had a tenant ask me to provide them with a high end mattress because they had a bad back and they didn't accept I wouldn't

Advertisement