If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Licence Query

  • 03-08-2022 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

    My father has an over and under at home as long time. He has mentioned to me twice in the past few months about taking it off him as he is getting on in years. He has it around 25 years easily and hasn't been used in about 10 of them. He used to do a bit of clay shooting and the odd bit of game shooting.

    I now live at the other end of the country, in a rural location. I'm well used to firearms, being a Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves and also having used his gun for shooting clays when I was younger.

    To be honest, I'd just like to keep the weapon in the family and perhaps do some vermin control for the neighbouring farmers, mostly it would be locked away as a momento.

    Is it a simple process to transfer the licence across? Based on the above info, would I even be eligible to obtain a licence?



  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

    Welcome to the forum.

    Let's get the semantic bit out of the way first, it's a firearm not a weapon.

    Secondly there is no transfer of license, you would have to apply for a license in your own name and then your Father can either cancel his license or simply not renew it when it comes time. This process may be made slighter easier if you license it as a dually held firearm.

    As for your suitability, previous experience with a firearm is one of the four ways to show competence but it is up to each Superintendent to decide if that level of experience is sufficient to issue the license so all anyone can give you with regard that query is a "maybe", no definitives.

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

    If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

    Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo