Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a scam?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or pretend to be your own wife, who just happened to come across this correspondence after "her husband" forgot to lock his computer... this could be fun.

In all seriousness, there are websites dedicated to name and shame online dating scammers. I'll see if I can post a few later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Used to find this good for a laugh, stories of the scammers being scammed.

One guy managed to link up two African scammers and had them trying to scam each other 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

I can sense myself going down a rabbit hole later 😂

As another user pointed out above - it is quite likely when they realize Scam 1 failed they will move on to trying some Scam 2. Partly because you engaged long enough with them that they have you pegged as someone who might yet fall for something somewhere. You showed - even if you came out of it in the end - some temporary gullibility so they will see you as susceptible. And you may be.

So replying to them with "unpublishable words" could lead them to - for example - suggest they will report you for threatening or abusing them. So they will threaten to go to the police maybe.

Or they - as the user above pointed out - might claim to have your IP address or home address or some other hacked information. And threaten you directly or indirectly with this.

Of if you gave them any personal information and they used it - for example on face book - to find you and maybe find out you have some relative or other person they identified - they might threaten to contact people you know to say you have been grooming or predating women on dating sites.

Or or or - basically every message you send them - no matter how innocuous you might think it to be - is potential material for them to throw back against you. So think twice about writing back at all - let alone in any aggressive, insulting, or retributive tone.

You may feel some sentence or email you wrote has nothing in it - until it gets thrown back at you and you suddenly see it in a new light. And if you find yourself writing yet further emails to dig yourself out of some hole - youll likely just be digging it deeper.

So all in all - you should probably just not reply any more at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks all again, am i allowed to post email address of that scumbag here?,maybe someone could have some fun with it,as im not answering anymore

• Advertisement

I would advise against that for the same reasons I just wrote above. You get people on here to send emails to that address - they themselves might get hit with Scam Route 2 - or something else.

But in general I think posting anyones personal email address to "out" them on this site is against the rules. So yea - don't do that.

What might be cathartic for you is to look up the "professionals" who go after scammers. People who are much more clued in on how to protect themselves - their personal identity - their computer identity and so on. I find "Jim Browning" the best. Trilogy Media is another good one. Kitboga is a little - sensationalist for me but some people like him. And so on.

But in general I would recommend not keeping up contact with them - and not exposing anyone else to contact with them either.

thanks never thought of that,ok i wont post anymore details,but if someone has a link to a site that might be able to track the scum down,please post it here,ill foward them the address,thanks to all for help,advice,hope others that might be a target will read this forum and be aware

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I have a feeling I'd like this comment, but I don't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Send this pic to them and say something like "I can't believe this. Just checked my lottery numbers for tonight. I'm stunned. I haven't told anyone in real life yet but I feel I can trust you with this news."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's 99 per cent likely a scam, but say its not why would you want to date a woman who does not soeak English lives 1000s of miles away also red flag, its 2022, she can't use facetime or appear on webcam, video chat,

Google romance scam, theres 1000s of people whose full time job is emailing instant message online romance scams it's likely a catfish romance scam you could be talking to a man or a 60 year old woman

On the Cox,and crendor podcast he says he keeps getting messages from scammers on a dating app eg you want a girlfriend i give u gud time it's hilarious as the sender is obviously a grifter fake not real

he sent replys back and forth just as a joke send me credit send me apple gift cards

Oh I don't go to apple stores I only eat meat don't like fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I've being giving a bit of thought to this thread and I think the OP is talking to Rebakkah Vardy , isn't she penniless after her recent court case and clearly has a neck like a jockeys bollix where attention and mo ey is concerned.

your right it would be more pratical to date some one form here,if i could find one that dont drink,cheat,be in bad moods every day,beat the crap out of me,damage my car,kick my dog,bring drunks back to my house,demand money,to name but a few things

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭circadian

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

God sorry to hear that, sounds like you've had some bad luck, there are normal nice people here but you have to kiss a few frogs til you get to them and have to remain vigilant for red flags as early as possible when meeting someone

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Except that some frogs are poisonous.... kiss them once and you're dead. 😬

the problem is if you use your email adress from a pc ,laptop, if you click on a link from an email they send it can be used to plant ,malware on your pc, that records your bank info, personal data, online passwords, banking password, pin no, unless you are a tech expert professional you wont know its there until something bad happens to your finance or for instance your fb twitter account profile is hacked into

i never click on any links,but i did reply to a few that i now know were scammers,anyway if they did manage to hack into my bank account i dought they would even get the price of a weeks shopping, and i dont use twitter,facebook,or any other apps,just email

Even replying to an email can be dangerous if you are using a pc or laptop , there are people be kidnapped, eg they are trafficked to a country, locked up in a building, then there only job is to send romance scam messages on dating apps social media, make fake profiles , the Red flag is they won't use facetime or video calling apps, as you, ll discover the 21 year old woman is a 50 year old man probably in India or Pakistan or some 3rd world country

There's channels on YouTube who set up fake profiles to annoy scammers and even hack into thier pc network webcams. They waste the scammers time and string them along until they get really pissed off

Romance scam fraud is basically an industry in some country's employing 1000s of people in call centres

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Anytime you see..

Hello dear, thanks dear, lovely dear… it’s a scam originating in Nigeria. Used to get them in an email address not long ago…Googled the email as a curiosity and fûck…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭anewme

You literally just got in ahead of me here. I was literally just going to post this....."dear"......its a dead giveaway, 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Dear dear?

Not your ornery onager

Not every one on dating apps is a scammer but if I got a message with bad grammar spelling from a woman in a country a 1000 miles away I'd ignore it and block the account,

Some one using Google translate to email you is probably a scammer especially if the send you a sob story and ask for money or apple gift cards

• Advertisement
Advertisement