Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this a scam?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭sniperman

thanks,i have no or never had any intentions of sending money,or gifts,i heard about scams before,but i was never targeted before, ill just let it go on for another while and see what the person says next, abit of fun/attention in my otherwise boreing,pennyess,kidneyless mentally unstable life :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Might I suggest you let @mumo3 give you responses to emails?

You post the emails you receive here and mumo3 gives you suitable answers. It could be an epic thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This just in... water is wet.

Because everything you just said op. It's a kin to asking a silly question such as is water wet.

ill post the next reply i get as soon as i get it,then ill see what more advice /comments ill get

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 85,639 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

May I suggest maybe joining a group or club near your home, you might met someone there

Please tell me your joking. I'd get it if it was a joke. Because if you are not. Then God help you.

.... there's splitting hairs then all that...

thanks,but im not desperate yet,i joined a dateing site a few weeks ago just to see whats out there/test the water so to speak,ive been on my own for 4 years,and im doing ok so far,im kinda shy when it comes to meeting people,hence the dateing site,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Guys , I've figured it out , the OP is the scammer , he's no money , missing a kidney and lives a lonely life , any day now he's going to ask us for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭irelandrover

To be fair, if you are going to be condescending, then make sure your own statement is correct.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I bet you we will have to pay to unlock future emails :D

hi folks here is an update of the latest email,what do ye think,has not directly asked for money,but evan i can see its coming,ill let it go on for another while until the money request comes,then ill tell her/him in a few words where to go...................Hello my dear ******** How is your mood? How is your health? Thank you

for your reply  and for your attention to me) I paid

money for making photos.that i sent you,I haven't work now and I still look for my son sake, I feel myself not good, I

think I got little flu as it is already cold weather here. I hope soon

I will get better. I glad that I have you in my life, I can

communicate with you and share with you everything I have in my heart.

I feel connection with you and even when we know each other not so

long time I glad that we met and I have this feelings to you.I already tried learn English with my son's book) I know English is

International language but learn it in my age isn't already easy) I

wish that we will have more deeply speaking and communication and I

really want speak with you directly when we will plan meeting in

reality. I dream about meeting, really. I simple don't know how

organize it. Now I can't do anything and pay for anything,I haven't

work as you know. I do everything to find some work but still

anything. I hardly have enough for food to me and Andrei and if truth

it is hard for me pay for using the net cafe. Today my mother sent me

half of her pension that we will not die from hungry and I feel shame

because of it. It is I must help her not she to me. don't want give you false promises or tell you that my situation

with money will be better soon as I haven't any work and it is hard

plan something. But don't get me wrong, i don't ask you anything. I am

not scammer, I will not use anyone for help. I simple ask you be

patient, wait when for me will be possible pay for meeting with you,

it can take months and you need be ready for it. if I will not be able

pay for our letters I will tell you directly, I never hide anything

from you but I really want be with you and hope I don't make mistake

that chose you. You really very dear to me. Have a good day)

Your Yuliia

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP , you're going to have to rise to tge challenge with that one .

Send her back an email saying you've no ears and can't read her emails asking would she be able to send you money to buy a giant magnifying glass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Tell her that the net cafe you use is costing you a bomb and you may have to delay writing back to her next time......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭emo72

Poor Yuulia and Andrei are having a rotten time. My heart goes out to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alexandriya

good information

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

She is actually very happy, no need to feel sorry for her.

"My son asked me why I smile so

much and why I am so happy last days and I told him that I found man on Internet" 

Believe it or not I wasn't being condescending (one could argue getting back to the expression "water is wet" with a technical answer is condescending... irony there. We all know what the expression means but this is boards.ie silly me) but to the op, you and everyone else you have to have a head on your shoulders when it comes to internet usage. Especially online dating.

There are a million scams out there. In fact, one of the most popular now among young people is for a person to talk to a fake profile and through conversation they give out their Instagram, then later nude photos and then get hit with a 'give me money or else your family and friends sees the nudes' - over on Reddit advice section people every single day are posting a thread about it. It's that wide spread. Another popular one is to talk via WhatsApp to a person and all they mention is this new crypto trading app. It's a bot.

Going back to the op, "if in doubt..." - that's the biggest defense. The very second he THOUGHT about creating the thread let alone making it was his answer.

• Advertisement

again thanks to you all for your replys,i will deal with it in my own way now that i know its a scam,with a few unpublishable words,but ill let it go on for a while longer,or until i get asked for dosh,then i dont think ill get any more emails,so for now ill post any more emails i get,and maybe it could help/educate someone that coud be in a situation like this

It’s on the less sophisticated scams but principles of all scams basis is earning trust from someone who has demonstrated some level of emotional vulnerability- and by that I mean, simply someone looking for love, could be classed as open to emotional manipulation

On the upper levels of sophistication, you have the likes of new boyfriends moving in, spending the hard earned money of the woman and living rent free or people pretending they’re millionaires with a cash flow problem scamming wealthy widows etc

Its all about believability and manipulation and if you give money once, it’s very hard to refuse future requests

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

exactly it

the people in the emails above are looking for low hanging fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭monseiur

Three Nigerian men were before the court in Navan last week in relation to a romance scam. They defrauded a local woman (she was in her 60's !! ) of her life savings of over €250,000 + €50,000 she borrowed from a friend. They sent the money to fake accounts in Turkey and Vietnam where they bought goods / products, had them shipped to Nigeria where they sold them. They will be out of jail in less than a year to continue their lucrative 'business'. Of course they should be deported immediately after release......but this is Ireland where deportation is a dirty word.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭HazeDoll

So far it looks like you're just getting the script. There is nothing in those emails that looks like a response to anything you have said to her.

In your next email give a little information about yourself that's a little ridiculous and ask a specific question.

"Yesterday I went to help a neighbour who has an peacock farm. It's a difficult time of year for him as the peahens are laying their eggs so he needed help collecting the eggs before they get damaged. I had to go up a ladder and bring down the eggs from the holly trees where the peahens lay them.

How about you? Have you ever helped out on a farm? My uncle is ill and he has a small sheep farm near the town. He might ask me soon to take over the farm if his health doesn't improve. Do you think you and Andrei would like to live on a farm in Ireland?"

If you want to really push the boat out you can change 'peacocks' to 'aardvarks'. The important thing is to see if there's any response to your plans to move to a sheep farm. Chances are nobody is reading your responses.

If you get a response that ignores the sheep farm question, refer them back to the question until they answer it. Then it's up to you to spin an increasingly stupid story that requires their responses. This wastes their time, which means they have less time to scam other people, so as well as amusing yourself you're doing some crimefighting.

I kept a chap on the hook for ages, telling him I was tired of life on a bleak Irish spaghetti farm. I was learning to speak English so I could get a better job and buy a donkey. Then I would be able to to go and see a town on the other side of the hills. I had heard that the town has streetlights and a shop that sells food that is already cooked.

I used to ask him questions about English grammar, such as "What is the future tense of the the verb 'went'?" ('I am wenning,' he said.) and "Which is correct; 'My footfingers' are cold or 'My feetfingers are cold'?" (His response to that one was that it depends on the tense.)

If he didn't answer the questions I kept referring him back to them, and then asking supplementary questions. All the time I was hammering him on Words With Friends, as he struggled to play 2 letter words.

He wanted to move the conversation from the Words With Friends messages to gmail. I asked him to set up an email account for me and let me know the passwords etc. I kept getting locked out (changing the password) so he had to keep setting up new ones.

The fun is in making them waste a disproportionate amount of time coming up with responses to your messages and waiting for them to figure out that they have been baited.

The example used by the OP is very basic- I’d say they’re doing a formulaic approach and likely targeting 100s at any one time

One more thing...

When they've figured it out and they're accusing you of wasting their time, or you're just getting tired of the whole thing, tip them over the edge by using the word 'Alaye.'

It literally means 'Information' in a Nigerian language but it must have some other, more subtle, meaning because it always gets a furious reaction.

Also, try to work in the number 419 somewhere towards the end of the jape. Strictly speaking it's the code for the Nigerian "You've won a prize, send money so we can send it to you" scam, but it can refer to any scam.

Right, and the purpose of responding in a way that requires their individual attention is that it means they have less time to respond to people who are likely to fall for it. But you have to demand responses to specific questions to make them abandon the script and compose individual messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

@sniperman just cut it off at the knees on this one!!

Go straight in and ask, how much the photos cost and how much she borrowed off her mother, be a bit diplomatic and romantic about it. Let them think they have you on the line, they'll no doubt be a bit, no I don't need your money, but play along, it wont take too much longer once they think they have you before the requests come and then just cut it off.

Once you cut them off, they'll probably get aggressive and tell you sh!te like they've hacked your computer and downloaded your files Blah Blah Blah don't worry about it and move on, but keep an eye out for other requests from them pretending to be someone else.

Best of luck x

Advertisement