Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolved Irish Mysteries.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Deeec

But could you now remember with confidence all of that night. I was 19 when Trevor disapearred - I could not recall now at all where I was that night - not a clue. It was a time before social media, smart phones etc so many people wound'nt have heard about it until much later - even well after christmas. So that night wouldnt have been etched in their memory unless like you it was a special event.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

What's with the ghoulishness?

Everyone hopes a body will be found for every single missing person!

They may not get all the answers and the person responsible (if there is one) may never be brought to justice.

However at least the family will have their loved one "home" they can bury the body/remains and have a place to grieve.

It's the not knowing where they are that's the hardest!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For sure not - and probably the reason I would still have any recall of it is thinking back on it in the wake of Trevor's disappearance.

There were a lot of posters put up in the area, if you frequented the area you had to be aware of it. But I suppose not if you were just there that night for a night out. They were also put up around the same period in subsequent years.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I wouldn't say ghoulishness. There is a difference between hoping and thinking one will be found. I usually stay away from unsolved crimes simply because I hate to think of victims not getting the justice they deserve.

To answer your question though more specifically I saw this thread pop up this morning and because I don't have much knowledge on many unsolved crimes or missing people, I thought I'd ask. I thought I'd ask because I have a true crime podcast, and while in almost 100 episodes I've covered 2 unsolved crimes, but ones with a body that has been found, I also host a live recording once a quarter with my paid patreon supporters. My next one is next week and I thought this may be a good subject. So asking the people in this thread who are invested enough to already be speaking about them seemed like a good way to see if anything ignited something in me.

So no ghoulishness, just curiosity to hear the thoughts of people who have a genuine interest in these types of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It was raining and he couldn't get a taxi home and I doubt there was many night buses.

He decided his best option was to pick up an umbrella at work.

He had a chat with a friend/colleague and used the Internet.

I don't think it's that odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I can remember where I was when Ireland bet Italy at USA 94 and I was only 8. It's linked to the event. It's how we remember. It's the same for Trevor's disappearance. The posters and the media campaign. The family have done extraordinary work not allowing the case to fade. If it had of been left to the Gardai it would be long forgotten. I also think if social media had of been around back then this case would have been solved a long time ago.

The person who has been identified just isn't credible. You would have no legitimate reason not to come forward earlier. They, and AGS, certainly didn't get an identification from the cleaned up video.

With all of the public appeals and documentaries made about the poor chap and family this information certainly should have been made public as the person in the video was of interest. The reason why they left it so long to come forward should also be clarified. Each time there is a headline about Trevor this thread becomes really active keeping people thinking and talking about it. That's what the family want.

I wonder how the Gardai corroborated his whereabouts that night and 100 person it was him in the video walking behind Trevor. Or did someone just walk in off the street and say "hey that was me".

This case keeps getting stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,037 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well maybe this was not his first time coming forward.

Maybe he came forward originally but it was never clarified that he was the man in the video, because the video was so poor and because the man was not sure what time he walked down that road, or even what night, or what date.

Remember the Haddington Rd video came out at least a month after Trevor disappeared.

Ask someone what they were doing a month or six weeks ago yesterday at a certain time and not many will be able to give you a very specific answer.

Maybe the man came forward at the time because he knew he was on Haddington Rd some night in early December.

The new enhanced video was sufficient for him and the Gardai to clarify that he was indeed the man walking behind Trevor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Deeec

Possibly you are right - I think the gardai should say that the man came forward before though for clarification for the ID to be credible.

But in the eyes of the investigation and the Deely family the ID is "credible" so no more needs to be done.

• Advertisement

That's true. And it only matters what the Gardai think. However I and many others don't think it's credible at all. it's what forums are all about really.

this development has peaked interest again so it's only natural we will debate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

My understanding is that the Deely family obtained the footage from the bank themselves some days after Trevor's disappearance and that they were lucky to do so as the video re-records over footage more than three days old. How is it that the video came out a month or 6 weeks later?

That night was a memorable night for a variety of reasons - the poor weather and a strike of some sort. It would also have been the night of many Xmas parties

I thought the family \ friends who acquired the footage handed it over to AGS and maybe it took that time for them to go public with the footage?

That's quite possibly the case. Six weeks (into the new year and January) seems like a very long time though.

With no evidence of foul play, that might be how quick AGS move wrt missing persons.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

With regard to Trevor Deely, I personally think the Guards know a lot more than they have told the public. I know the family have played a huge part in keeping the investigation alive, but I don't think the Guards would put so much effort into a case without having a very credible theory. The may know exactly what happened but just need that one piece of evidence or witness to come forward to help them solve the case. They spent weeks digging up waste land in Chapelizod a few years ago. That must have cost a small fortune, they don't do things like that on a whim.

Many many people have gone missing over the last 25 years, but very few get the same attention as Trevor. It seems to be the same with a lot of other cases, the Guards know what happened, even know who committed some crimes such as unsolved murders, but can't build a case against the suspect without the required evidence. This is why they appeal to the public for information over and over again for the same few cases spanning 20+ years.

I remember when Trevor went missing, posters were all over the city and suburbs too. Someone out there knows what happened. I really hope the family get the closure they deserve.

There was indeed no evidence of foul play. However this person following TD was clearly a person of interest who may have noticed or seen something. Yet when did they come forward? Did they ever come forward?

Yes the family did find the Haddington Rd video, but I believe it was closer to a month after Trevor's disappearance than a number of days.

By the time it made the news and the person in question saw it it could well have been six weeks since the night.

So he wouldn't have remembered more than likely. Strange that he had an epiphany 20 odd years later. He must have aged well too.

The guy may have come forward 20 years ago, but was not sure what time or what night he was on Haddington Rd.

Remember that footage only appeared a good bit after Dec 8th.

And at the time given the poor quality of the video neither the Gardai or the man himself were able to say 100% certainty if it was him.

Fast forward to the last few years and the enhanced video and they are now certain it was him.

So no need for any epiphany.

• Advertisement

Still extremely unlikely though. The footage wasn't enhanced that much to be honest. If he wasn't sure from the original footage then the new footage wouldn't have provided much clarity either way. It's flimsy stuff really. Media should really ask the question as to how this person was identified and how it was proven 100 percent it was him.

That's just my opinion though. I respect your view on it Todd.

23 years ago today that he went missing. Sad stuff. I'd absolutely love the family to get closure. Along with all of the other families of missing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭GavPJ

1 guy eliminated from enquiries and they are looking for another.

Trevor Deely: New focus on mystery figure in decades-long missing person case (msn.com)

Nothing new in that.

The person outside the work place has been in the news a good few years now.

I always thought that the Gardai thought they were the same person.

When the video was enhanced a few years ago they said it might be the same person and thus wanted one or other of them to make contact.

And that's what happened.

The guy at the door is still unaccounted for.

Cheers. I always thought it was something to do with cyber crime or something along them lines.

Please God one day the family will get closure.

They did. It still might be the same person. I'm not sure on what basis the Gardai can take someone coming forward after all these years as credible. That hasn't been explained. But AGS can do no wrong according it would seem. However it appears they do think it's credible. It's more than likely however that neither of these people had anything to do with Trevor's disappearance.

I'd be amazed that someone came forward after 23 years and they and AGS can be iron clad sure that its them in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GHendrix

It was a criminal who came forward a few years ago and gave the Garda intel that Trevor had been shot by a known criminal and his body or possibly materials might be at the Chapelizod site.

That theory could well be correct. There may be an informant who knows some details about the criminal(s) that may have been involved and the sites they used etc.

Someone like that might have even been able to give some names that could have led to identifying the person.

Something like that would actually be more plausible than thinking the guy just came forward after 20 odd years or they magically identified him from the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,361 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Im sure Gardai can and do make mistakes.

I'm pretty sure too that a nosey randomer on the internet isn't the person to decide whether mistakes are made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

How come the garda dont believe he fell in the Dodder? There was storms with 60mph wind that night. Imagine he went for a piss and fell in or a gust of wind pushed him in. Apparently he went missing on a Thursday night but alarm was not raised till Monday. Well washed away by then. His sister said she rang him over weekend. She was not sure if phone rang or went straight to voice mail. If phone had hit water it would have died straight away.

Advertisement