Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be comfortable being roommates with a drug user?

Options
  • 01-08-2022 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

By drugs I mean anything apart from weed or alcohol. I have a friend who uses coke and ecstasy on the weekends and got accused of stealing one of her other female roomates iWatch. She never said it to her directly but overheard it after coming home from work. She's never stolen and works a pretty good job yet still stigmatized for her drug use.

Surprising seeing as coke is becoming commonplace in Irish pubs/nightclubs.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No. Absolutely not. I've a housemate who smokes weed and it makes the place stink. Anything harder would result in me leaving.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Wouldn't bother me much. It would really depend on her personality rather than the drug, as personality tends to be exaggerated with coke users.. so if she's a bit aggressive, the coke would exaggerate that. Kinda strange that she would be so open with her drug use though, with those who don't do drugs themselves (as her drugs seem to be party drugs rather than the use at home variety).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,152 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Depends on a mix of the drug and the person. If it was a regular meth user, almost certainly not. Someone who takes pills at the weekend? fine so long as it's not in the house/apt (mainly so I can sleep and not have to listen to **** music at 4am).

Ahh well, I was going with the party drugs mentioned, rather than other drugs with less.. attractive behaviours associated with them. Meth users (in my exp) are generally dodgy and unstable. It would be the same with any of the "hard" or heavily addictive drugs. Wouldn't want to be living with anyone doing those.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,874 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If they were using in the house or apartment, no, don’t need to be surrounded with personality unpredictabilities and the trappings of class A drug use… you might have even a couple of lads calling over money being owed etc… plus coke users are twats in many cases…

Anyway, Where have you been op ? coke has been commonplace in many pubs and nightclubs here for a decade or so not ‘ becoming’ commonplace it’s been commonplace …

• Advertisement

It would depend a good deal on the person's relationship with the drug.

Anything involving needles though would be an out-and-out no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Only if he shares

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Definitely not a coke user. Cocaine is powdered dickhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

It really highlights the ignorance of people who assume that just because someone takes drugs, that they are automatically subject to suspicion once someone loses their watch?

Let me live in a house with someone who enjoys their lives , as opposed to a house inhabited with docile bores, hell bent on sitting around watching rehashed American media dross on the Telly and not having an enjoyable weekend.

In saying all that, anyone over doing it on the Thingamajigggies is heading for a dramatic collapse in endorphins which can be detrimental to their livelihood. Anyone necking party pills needs to be wary of that, they incinerate your Serotonin levels over prolonged usage. They are lovely craic, but give yourself a break after the party is over. Also, the "Cocaine" which is giving you painful nosebleeds every Sunday morning is nothing to get excited about. It is brutal quality in Ireland for starters. Buzzers in Latin America are getting twice as high for a quarter of the price, it is fooking crap, please give it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

My housemates room was next to mine and him n his gf would smoke weed, I told them I had asthma and asked them to smoke it outside the house. It's feckn rotten shite, absolutely stinks, don't know how people use it. If other people used other drugs, I might not say anything unless it's posing a risk or danger or something dodgey. Don't know why anyone would want to risk going near drugs in the first place, the legal ones are bad enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭bb1234567

So long as they don't bring any ill-effects of their usage home then no I couldn't give a toss. And presumably, this pertains only to those who take drugs but are not heavily dependent on them, obviously that would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

If she did me sexual favours I would be ok with it but no I am not cut out for having room mates in general anyway due to not being an NT normie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

The majority of people doing drugs are holding down jobs, relationships and otherwise healthy lives. If it was that kind of drug user then yeah that is fine.

The kind of people who are scatty, messy, unable to hold anything down in their lives and go on binges which impact the house via loud music and all sorts of comings n goings. No that kind of person will eventually impact those immediately within their sphere of influence.

Might shock you OP but many are able to control their drug use and most keep it on the down low. So you wouldn't really know even if you thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A person of my acquaintance looking for the cheapest of cheap student accommodation ended up living with a middle eastern dental student who was also looking for cheap accommodation. The other tenant was a heroin addict, the kind of place where the landlord converted half the sitting room into a bedroom to make more money. They just found the whole thing sad and depressing, putting them off serious drugs for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Were they considering serious drugs before this experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I doubt people in general are rational enough to consider taking drugs writing out a pross and cons list but yeah watching the dirty messy reality might make a sensible person have a little think before they do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

A person can do what ever drugs they like. Coke, heroin whatever. Doesn't mean I or anyone else is gonna live with a person like that. But if ya do decide to do that, don't be surprised to come home one day and that 55 inch TV you got is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

No issue with coke. Needles would be a dealbreaker. Disgusting. Wouldn’t be keen on the smell of smoke inside the house either, but I guess it could be tolerable to some degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭patmahe

No, have seen too many perfectly nice people turn into dickheads when on drugs, do you really want to live with someone who's becoming paranoid and having their inhibitions lowered at the same time. Its similar to problems with alcohol abuse, I'd prefer their problem doesn't become my problem some night. Also people rarely remember their own behaviour accurately when they've been on drugs so they won't see the problem the same way you do.

I'm sure plenty of people can handle taking drugs, but a lot can't, its an unnecessary risk for your own peace of mind so why would you want to live with someone doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I thought it was processed from the Coco leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

haha.

speaking of the leaf it's mad what they do to make it. Using kerosene, bleach, lye and a whole lot of chemical cocktails to break down the leaf. All done in the arse end of South America. That's only to make the cocaine paste too. Drug cartels do who knows what to turn it into powder. Then along the way dealers are gonna cut it with what ever is in their kitchen press at the time. All to go up your nose.

Don't get me wrong I like a drink and sadly a smoke but some on here think they're the same. They're not. I could go in to Guinness Brewery right now and see sanitized equipment, health and safety practices, the ingredients right there that's used. Mad is all.

I've always asked around from friends who had done a particular drug about the pros/cons, side effects, the downtime after, etc. I've had others ask the same of me. I think most people who are considering a particular drug, do find out something about it first. I think I spent a week or so reading up on LSD/Shrooms before tripping. The internet is rather useful for checking what's the deal with any drug.

Naturally, it's different if you're partying and someone hands you a pill, or whatever.. you'd have to go with what you already know. Although, honestly, I've always refused drugs coming from sources I wasn't sure of.. so all my initial experiences were reasonably well thought out beforehand.

But then again, some people are simply idiots and give into impulse or peer pressure, doing **** they aren't prepared for.

As for messy reality.. some people can handle drug usage, some others can't. I doubt seeing others **** up will change anyone's mind.. After all, we're all well exposed to the effects of crap like Heroin from movies/tv, so it's not like someone can say they didn't know the risks before "trying it out". Nope. They were just idiots, and nothing would have stopped them, because some people are self-destructive by nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Personally I think it smells beautiful, I assume you hate turf also?

I've lived on the bog every summer getting turf and both are not at all comparable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Interesting, I've drank cbd oil for pain, now that tastes like the earth, dirt and soil🤢

• Advertisement

A regular weed smoker - absolutely not. The very occasional spliff I'd get over, but preferably none.

Coke, MDMA/ecstasy the odd weekend - totally fine.

Should go without saying that heroin/crystal meth are a no-no. I didn't even know meth was a thing in Ireland.

I know the younglings are into ket now - it sounds pretty great, but when overdone it seems more belonging to the heroin/crack/meth family than the party drug one.

LSD/mushrooms - that's a thing that I haven't known of in many years. Mostly art student friends. That would be fine - not a frequent thing.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement