Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New laws on Consent are deeply-flawed

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,909 ✭✭✭Furze99

The principle of consent regarding sexual acts is fine and should be widely encouraged. But and it's a very big BUT

Almost impossible to legislate for when you've just got two people and their varying accounts and recollections.

At present, the accused is protected when there is doubt. This proposed legislation would give the benefit of doubt overall to the accuser.

I'm amazed that any justice system would go down this road.

The only fireproof protection with this, would be for couples to sign consent forms either physically or digitally on some app before engaging. How realistic is that and is that how we see the future.

Helen McEntee has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

It cuts both ways. I remember working with a French/Portuguese waiter in the 1990's . I must admit he was exceptionally charming and good looking. He was targeted by a female co-worker who plied him with alcohol at a staff party and dragged him to her bed. Needless to say.. she was barking up the wrong tree.. He had a Mexican Boyfriend. I remember talking to him afterwards and he was very angry and upset about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The only fireproof protection with this, would be for couples to sign consent forms either physically or digitally on some app before engaging. How realistic is that and is that how we see the future

Consent is ongoing, so that wouldn't work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How can you prove you asked

The same way you currently "prove" you had consent. When these things get to court it is often a case of believability of the accused vs the witness.

From what I can see the new law does not fundamentally change anything in terms of presumption of innocence or guilt. It merely removes the possibility of a complete sociopath who thinks all women want him from using his "genuine belief" that all women want him as a defence for his actions because it is not an objectively reasonable belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Essentially men need to treat grown adult women like they are children.

There is no way to prove consent, even if you could you could be accused of coercing her into consent...more often than not we are talking about two intoxicated people.

This was introduced across US campuses by Obama in 2014...it has been a disaster there it will be here!

We are dealing with a cultlure of man hating especially amongst young women, who, are also the most depressed generation of young women this country has ever witnessed, and if the US is anything to go by, it's gonna get a lot worse! Put that into a casual sex scene laced in drugs!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP

You have started a similar thread in Legal Discussion

Pick one place and stick to it

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement