Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New laws on Consent are deeply-flawed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Stop it. If you are in any way suggesting that males are likely to report a woman for rape because they had drunken sex and he feels he was unable to give consent... thats nonsense arguing.

How many cases are you even aware of that a man said he was quite drunk and she shouldnt of taken his yes as a yes? Next to zero in comparison im sure.

It doesnt happen, we would be ridiculed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You need to stop using the word rape. It's a separate thing to sexual assault as I already explained to you.

Now if you are going to make claims that concern you, these claims need to based on something tangible and presented to facilitate the debate you are after.

Now if you can do those things I will gladly engage, but all you are doing at the moment is incoherent ranting and raving about the huge disparity of male rapes being unreported without providing a shred of citation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

You know what, you might be right. Im emotional about this topic. Its a scary topic to me after some things i've seen happened to close ones. Ive had two incidents were women have pushed themselves around my penis without a condom, and it bothers me personally that it would be ridiculed in society for me to ask for it to be considered.

Ill take a step back incase my emotions are blocking me from being reasonable. Cheers for your patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

I agree it's more relevant to sexual assault.

A man and woman wake up naked together after a drunken one might stand. If the woman regrets it, she has been taken advantage of and is a victim of sexual assault. If the man regrets it, then he should know better than to drink that much and go home with someone. I think that's the way society views it.

When it comes to sex, I think it's different. As a man I have to engage in it. I might regret it the following day, but if I didn't want it to happen at the time I could have stopped it. Whereas that's not always the case for women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

A charter for Misandrists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭combat14

the principle of consent is fine .. there are also many men who are drunk and taken advantage of in the bedroom by women too..

however all anyone has to claim is "i 100% asked for his/her consent.." and "they 100% said yes and consented"

straightaway its back to he said / she said

unless there is a written contract or audio/video recording of consent being provided by both parties its he said/she said

in millions of years of human existence there never has been a need for audio/video recording of consent perhaps the closest thing to written consent is the old fashioned concept of marriage witnessed by the community however that is now gone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,467 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That has an inherent assumption that one party is in full control of their senses. The reality is quite often a long way from that.

Ive had two incidents were women have pushed themselves around my penis without a condom

I assume you asked them to leave immediately or you left yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They are always other males. It is not possible under Irish law for a woman to commit rape on a man (only penetration of the vagina with an object counts as rape, not the anus).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The principle of consent regarding sexual acts is fine and should be widely encouraged. But and it's a very big BUT

Almost impossible to legislate for when you've just got two people and their varying accounts and recollections.

At present, the accused is protected when there is doubt. This proposed legislation would give the benefit of doubt overall to the accuser.

I'm amazed that any justice system would go down this road.

The only fireproof protection with this, would be for couples to sign consent forms either physically or digitally on some app before engaging. How realistic is that and is that how we see the future.

Helen McEntee has gone waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in my estimation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

It cuts both ways. I remember working with a French/Portuguese waiter in the 1990's . I must admit he was exceptionally charming and good looking. He was targeted by a female co-worker who plied him with alcohol at a staff party and dragged him to her bed. Needless to say.. she was barking up the wrong tree.. He had a Mexican Boyfriend. I remember talking to him afterwards and he was very angry and upset about this.

The only fireproof protection with this, would be for couples to sign consent forms either physically or digitally on some app before engaging. How realistic is that and is that how we see the future

Consent is ongoing, so that wouldn't work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

How can you prove you asked

The same way you currently "prove" you had consent. When these things get to court it is often a case of believability of the accused vs the witness.

From what I can see the new law does not fundamentally change anything in terms of presumption of innocence or guilt. It merely removes the possibility of a complete sociopath who thinks all women want him from using his "genuine belief" that all women want him as a defence for his actions because it is not an objectively reasonable belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Essentially men need to treat grown adult women like they are children.

There is no way to prove consent, even if you could you could be accused of coercing her into consent...more often than not we are talking about two intoxicated people.

This was introduced across US campuses by Obama in 2014...it has been a disaster there it will be here!

We are dealing with a cultlure of man hating especially amongst young women, who, are also the most depressed generation of young women this country has ever witnessed, and if the US is anything to go by, it's gonna get a lot worse! Put that into a casual sex scene laced in drugs!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,647 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP

You have started a similar thread in Legal Discussion

Pick one place and stick to it

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement