Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Sisters (Sharon Horgan) [Apple TV+]

Options
  • 27-07-2022 3:45pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Not often an Ireland-set (and starring) show pops up on the streaming services, but here we are: this looks like it might be a good one, Sharon Horgan the biggest name attached. Looks like the humour will be very black, the story interesting enough. Coming August 19.

Gotta say: I sneered at it at first, but Apple TV+ has quickly shot itself up my rankings for streaming services. A lot of very eclectic, varied shows popping up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sharon Horgan s new Apple series has set its main cast.

The series, now titled “Bad Sisters,” will star Horgan, Anne-Marie Duff, Eva Birthistle, Sarah Greene, and Eve Hewson as the Garvey sisters. Claes Bang, Brian Gleeson, Daryl McCormack, Assaad Bouab, and Saise Quinn also star.

The series follows the lives of the Garvey sisters bound together by the premature death of their parents and a promise to always protect one another. The show was originally ordered at Apple back in September with a 10-episode order. It is expected to debut later this year. It is adapted from the Belgian series “Clan,” which was created by Malin-Sarah Gozin

Variety

When does it start

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

good cast!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I read about this yesterday but the article never said it was a remake

a great line up of actresses anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sharon Horgan has really become a power player in the TV/Streaming world.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Only last year I was death on Apple Tv+, and only subscribed once a year to watch Dickinson. Then someone pointed me to For All Mankind, and next thing I know I'm singing Apple's praises.

I've been looking forward to Bad Sisters for a while. I've loved pretty much everything Sharon Horgan has been involved in creating.

I agree about the Irish thing too. Netflix and Prime even film quite a few things here but they've never invested in anything home grown. Even the new thing Netflix announced a while ago, which sounds like an Irish Only Murders In The Building, is filming here and has some Irish cast members, but they're still throwing in an American lead and I don't think the writer is Irish either.

But anyways.... looking forward to Bad Sisters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sharon Horgan seems to be a very canny operator. Her film CV is a bit spotty - only good thing I recall her from was the underrated Game Night.

Re Apple. Just this year I've watched For All Mankind, Severance, Slow Horses, Foundation from the service - while things like this and Black Bird (not the Michael Flattley movie) further show an imagination and depth I had not have estimated at first. The Morning Show seems to be doing well for Apple as well; I've heard See is solid. The catalogue is impressive.

What's the "Irish" Netflix show you speak of? Doesn't ring a bell and from the way you describe may fall foul of paddywhackery.

Bodkin, it's called. Completely forgot the Obamas were involved.

http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4294479&tpl=archnews&force=1

She is talented

Looks like how Smother should have been

It has a decent cast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

She really has cornered the market on writing about a sister/family dynamic and she generally does it really well

Catastrophe,motherland, This way up etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

First episode of this is supposedly in the wild. Haven't seen or heard any reviews yet.

I watched the first one earlier, was decent, really just setting things up though.

All the reviews I've seen/heard for it have been glowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭trashcan

Haven’t seen the other two, but I enjoyed This Way Up. Herself and Aisling Bea worked well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Watched the first two…. Really good. I’d binge the rest if they were all available

Yeah, watched the second one there myself. It's different from what I was expecting, but I'm enjoying it. Apple are operating the smart way with their shows, releasing them weekly. I was only subscribed to watch For All Man Kind and was about to cancel when I remembered this was out this week, so they've got me for probably 2 more months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

I have seen the first two episodes and, while it is getting rave reviews, it is leaving me cold. Two of the characters (the husband to be murdered and the insurance guy) are completely over-written or over-played. The women are all good characters, entertaining and credible. It falls apart with the two guys however. (Obvs just my opinion).

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I suspect it'll be a cross between those Irish set episodes of Murder She Wrote and Wild Mountain Thyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭moby2101

3 episodes in and it’s ticking along nicely. Excellent cast, thoroughly enjoying this.

• Advertisement

I really liked this week's episode. I like that it's not just all the sisters at it from the start too.

This gets better every week, feels like it's hit its stride now. Gleeson maybe the only week link, but I think that's the character maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Only watched episode 1 but really enjoyable. Terrific cast, Sarah Greene is top notch as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Loving it so far. Haven't seen any of Sharon Horgans other stuff but this is great. Eve Hewson is fantastic imo

• Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She has some excellent stuff that she has written for and acted in.

Catastrophe and this way up are both excellent. The first thing I ever saw her in Pulling is great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭cmac2009

She is incredibly talented both as an actor and writer. Always enjoyed any interviews I've read with her as she came across as genuine and quite humble, especially considering all the success she's had.

Highly recommend Catastrophe - great chemistry between her and Rob Delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'm really enjoying this, I'm only sorry I didn't wait and binge watch it after the entire series has been shown.

JP is easily one of the most distasteful characters in a TV series in ages- vile- and brilliantly acted.

It's a lot darker and less comedic than I was expecting, and it seems to get even more serious as it goes along but I'm really enjoying it. Very curious as to what actually happened to him after so many failed attempts. I thought the neighbour might have done him in but I'm leaning more and more towards Grace having done it herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Enjoying it too. 10 episodes in total I believe. Love the houses, any idea where they are ??

• Advertisement

I know some of it was shot around Swords and Malahide, but then some of it is South County Dublin too

Advertisement