Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you glad you were born?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Yes. That is why I wrote "I am content and frequently happy". Contentment is something that can be long term and constant. Happiness is more fleeting and periodic. I wonder if a lot of unhappiness in our world is caused by people spending most of their time pursuing the latter rather than the former.

Love is similar. Even for our children we are not in a constant state of deep love. We probably could not operate in the world if we were. Explosions of love happen periodically and deeply. But most of the time the relationship with our children or partners are close and content and safe and caring.

To answer your last question - yes - I am in a truple relationship with two gals and we have 4 kids between us.

Love and Happiness as you say come in captured moments. And usually in response to something. But it is possible through things like Mindfulness to access moments of happiness without anything external. We do not constantly need our favorite ice cream on our lips - praise from our peers - the latest iPhone - or anything else to attain happiness. It can be found isolated in the present moment.

A sense of purpose seems to be the source of much contentment and resulting moments of happiness for many people. There was a book I can not right now recall the name of about how the Jews who most often survived the camps were the ones who found a sense of purpose even in their pain and torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for all the replies.. its an interesting discussion..

I often here "life is a gift" etc..

I guess its just sometimes hard to see it as a gift when times are tough..

but I know people who have had a lot of hardship in life but still feel that to be alive is great..

Well as that well known Philosopher - Tuvok from Star Trek - once said "How could one ever recognise light if one has never known darkness".

Many people are not seeing life as wonderful "despite" the hardships in their life - but rather because of them. Because like darkness can define the light - their hardships can outline and define the good in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

yeah I get you on that...

and I think perhaps "living in the moment" is v important..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I am a grumpy git at the best of times but I do love life. I am glad I exist and am glad (most of the time) that I am me. God knows I have a lot of flaws but sure that makes it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes. I am glad I was born!

The poster above says that everything is depressing at the moment. It is a matter of perspective. I lived and continue to live in the interesting times. Current events are just a continuation of these interesting times, and I am so glad that I am here, in Ireland, and a bit further away from the epicenter of the "fun". I have spent my childhood in the collapsing USSR, I got robbed twice, once at knife point, my family lost all their savings due to the inflation. Coming to Ireland I was lucky enough to witness the happy Celtic Tiger times and bought a house in 2008 which quickly went into negative equity. Lots and lots of crises that I went through to list here. This time? Sheesh, if we do not perish in a nuclear war, I am happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

I’m very lucky that I love my life and I’m happy I was born.

I’m an optimist and have always been a very content person. I’m not one of those bubbly hyper people but quietly content in my own head. This is a privilege as I know many others don’t feel this. Even in the depths of winter and a rainy Monday morning I just feel happy.

doesn’t mean I haven’t had very tough times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Glad yes, but not really sure of the point when my folks seemed to despise each others existence. Often wondered why we were brought into this shitshow. It was obvious that one parent didn't want to parent and would rather be out of the house.

The repurcussions of this are that it has hardened my own character and I find it difficult to build new friendships and let my guard down.

It's taken me a long time to realise that most people generally are kind.

I cling onto the hope that the worst days are behind me and my best and happiest days are ahead. I want to give more to the world and society and hopefully that leads to more self fulfillment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Sounds like me,I love my life and very glad I was born.

I don't bother much with the news or politics or the latest bandwagon that everyone is jumping on,I just live my own life with my kids and immediate family and friends.

I like going on holidays, partaking in my hobbies and having a few pints. Have no mortgage for the last 10 years and a few quid in the bank so not really worried about money.

I don't let external sh1t that I can't control bother me so I guess I'm living my best life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

My daughter is going through a really tough time with her health. For the past several years. I'm not sure she will survive let alone thrive. I'd give my life if she was healthy and happy. And that's just one of my problems.

I went for a long walk this evening. I'd forgotten it was summer with all this and all the bad news in the world. But it was a glorious evening and the swallows were zooming around. Not as many as years ago, but still the most amazing beautiful birds. Would make your heart sing. And I was so glad to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m glad I was born I just wish I was different.

Different how? No pressure to answer of course

I wish I wasn’t disabled (MS) and that I didnt for some ungodly reason go out of my way to destroy the opportunities I had not by luck , but because I’d earned them . I fell into the wrong crowd when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭sully123

I'm glad I was born.

I quite often don't enjoy the my day to day life, but thankfully I've been able to remain optimistic. I don't really want to do anything in particular with my life. After all "there's nothing you can do that can't be done". But I'm glad I'm here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I hope your MS is manageable, autoimmune conditions are a cruel twist of fate.

We all fcuk up at times, especially when we're younger. I know I did and wasted a lot of opportunities too. Puberty just diverted all my attention to partying and boys. 😄

I'm really sorry to hear that 😔 I really hope other opportunities present themself to you somehow 🙏 and no doubt it's made you a much more empathic and wiser person because of it 🌟 I can't fully relate but due to a long term disability and a career that's left me financially broke, I can empathise on some level. Here's hoping there's lots of positivity to come 🤞

I’m going to try and get back , which means a ferry to England and a drive around England, which I’m looking forward to.

Hope you're able to have a fruitful time while doing so!

It’s either that or write the book I’ve been contemplating,

• Advertisement

Why not both, like others have said, we can't change the past and control what's outside of us, but we can take control now with what's within us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm thinking about starting the only true religion to exist and writing the correct bible. The current one is complete smack.

I get visions every night about life in general and messages about write the only true bible to exist.

For years I thought it was just a side effect from the opium but I have furthered my knowledge since then and realise it is my true calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

On the pigs back so you are, I won't say much more than we were staying down in Kerry for the last few weeks in a holiday home belonging to a member of our extended family, the house next door was always a B&B but this year it's filled with Ukrainians, not the best experince I can tell you. my OH dropped over a few books to them last week all they reply they got form the person in charge was "they don't speek English so why do you thing these books would be any use to them", ah good look and we just trying to be nice

Advertisement