Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you glad you were born?

Options
  • 26-07-2022 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭

Was in company recently.. and this topic came up.. about how the fact that we wer born was like winning the lottery..

What say you - you glad your here?

Me? i'm 50/50.. could take or leave life.. tis hard.. but lots of beauty to be enjoyed too..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm glad, life isn't a bed of roses all the time, but I've great memories, family and friendships. It sure beats the abyss of nothingness and it's short, treasure it and keep your head down through the hard times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I’m Ukrainian well that’s what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Nope, and I didn’t ask for it either 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Sometimes I am but there are more times that I'm not. It mostly depends on the situation I'm currently in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yes, but lots of soul destroying problems to deal with everyday that I could have avoided, but I was naive, and ignorant.

But it was a different time and culture and I couldn't Google solutions. Also, maybe I'd have a different set of problems.

I love life, nature and the world. It **** kills me that we are destroying the place for our children and for other life.

And I'm surrounded by people and leaders who don't get this or care. We are supposed to be intelligent life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

how do you know it beats the abyss of nothingness? you wouldn't know if you weren't born...

Back in the time when I would have even considered an answer to that question - the answer would have been a strong no.

I was a lay about waster with a bad diet and worse physical health - few friends - no luck with women - full on ripe fruit for the aggressive INCEL movement or some other cult or terrorist group if they had managed to get their hands on me and given me a feeling of hope or belonging.

While not full on suicidal I was certainly in that "Hope when I go asleep tonight I do not wake up tomorrow" head space.

I woke up to myself and took some strong steps to change all that though. And over the years I have certainly adopted the "Accept and put aside what you can not control - and focus on what you can" stoicism mentality. Which means that the question of asking myself whether I am glad to be alive or not is not even a question I would really consider.

But I've found the best diet - physical health plan - friends - relationships - life pursuits - and head space - for me. I am as content and regularly happy as I think I am capable of being. So I am in a great place and happy to continue on as life throws the curve balls and challanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

@[Deleted User] go you.. and twas a pleasure to read your post.. v honest and sincere..

but are you glad you wer born? do you feel it an honour?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

If I wasn't then I wouldn't have an opinion.

But since I am, I hate it goes by so fast. Hate the thought of being buried and rotten away ( even though I will know nothing of it). Hate you don't get a second chance, it would be be so much better.

But while I am reasonably fit, just intend to enjoy the remainder. Will hate being sick and on the way out

No easy answer to this I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I rather think of this question as am I glad our existence is a thing at all, for everyone not just me.

It's a toughy. I don't have enough information to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I wish I was dead. I might off myself one of the days. I was born an accident too so I wasn't suppose to be here. I'm also the black sheep of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I'm not sure. Your young days are good but as you get older it's a load of bollocks isn't it? The world doesn't have much wonder to me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's an interesting question, I'll answer it this way

I wouldn't mind if I had never been born

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Very bleak future ahead for most of us imo. I had an amazing childhood and 20's I did loads but damn the world is getting dark these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Good question... Some days you're the pigeon... Some days you're the statue

So I guess it's a yes and no answer... It can't all be good

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Absolutely not. Of all the galaxy's and all the stars and all the planets in the universe I had to be born on this ggod forsaken planet that's full of hatred where everyone hates everyone else and the billionairesewont use their money to help others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The world is fucked. The one percent of the richest in the world have the resources to sort it all out. But Greed prevails. The biggest problem with the world isn't that the poor dont have enough. It's that the rich don't have enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

I've far from an easy life but man what a joy it is to experience life, all the good and all the bad.

hate to give a motivational shpeel but what a f*cking sin it would be for me to waste it and not leave a positive mark on the world, even if small. If there is an afterlife just imagine facing your ancestors who hard laboured themselves to an early till death, faced a life of comparable misery so you could be here living in one of the easiest times in human history only to tell them "poor me, life was hard and I was permanently miserable because of one thing or another". The most amazing thing about life, which I don't think many have realised is if you don't like yours you can change it.

As long as I'm here, I'm going to make the most of it.

If you're da had of sneezed when he was riding your ma you wouldn't here, it's truly a gift.

God, Yes.

Once my teens were finished, life started improving gradually, building up momentum, and honestly, I love my life now. I'm not wealthy, borderline comfortable with few real needs. Have managed to travel/live extensively abroad, and I'm set to head off again soon for another decade or perhaps more.

Life is bloody brilliant. Plenty of pain in life, but that's there to make the joys so much more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,863 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The world is fûcked because in every country the rich are untouchable and they’ve volunteered the squeezed middle classes to sort out all the problems, whereby they / we get taxed to fûck in relation to our income and on our purchases and get very little back in return…. We are actually asked to pay again, often… for the likes of healthcare etc.

am I glad I was born, pretty much, life has been 9/10 so I’m not complaining, I’ve experienced immense joy, happiness and yet challenges too but it’s good…and getting better.

I enjoy my life..deal much better with adversity and challenges, filter out fuçkwits with greater efficiency and have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Despite all the crap I've been through, I'm glad I've survived and keep on fighting the good fight, hoping better days are to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Keep fighting, several of us were born accidents in our family like plenty others, and no one is perfect, we've all fecked up in some way or another, look forward to the future and find goals to work towards and positive distractions, seek help if things are getting worse

Well as I said - I do not think of it in those terms. The fact I was born is in the stoicism category of things out of my control. So I do not see it in positive or negative terms so much as I see it as part of the framework I operate in. The things I can change or control I look at in positive and negative terms.

So I am neutral on the question. But I am content in my life - frequently happy - and bring a lot of happiness to my girlfriends - our children - my friends - and some people in my community. So I guess by inference I guess the answer to your questions is a "yes" even though I would not myself give that answer either way.

In life I subscribe to the notion that "The journey is the destination". So the question itself feels to me like asking if I am happy I arrived - when I still see myself as being on the journey. If that makes any sense :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

I haven't read on down yet, but I had to stop here - You are the first positive post i've read and there was me thinking ... 'am I going to post and be the only sound-of-music here??' Definitely, life on earth is no picnic and I agree that the human species is largely a greedy and selfish pig, BUT, I have my integrity and my family and friends and I love my life to be honest. I don't have a lot of money, but that's cause i'm not money motivated. We get by fine and I'm perfectly happy with my lot. I love our home and the location we live in and I am generally glad to be experiencing life. I haven't always been so upbeat, but i've never regretted being born! Honestly, I don't think this is a question we should ask ourselves. We're here and that's it. Why question your own existence? Just get on with it and make the best of it.

Yes. Well put - the journey is the destination. And nobody sits there in a permanent state of 'happiness'. The feeling of happiness is a transient thing, caught in tiny moments. I would say that to be content on a regular basis is a far better feeling to aspire to. But we're creatures with emotions and feelings and all the trappings of society - we have to remind ourselves that we are no better than others, no more deserving than others and we need to constantly remind ourselves of what is good in our lives and what we have/ have achieved, rather than dwelling on what we don't have or what we feel is the negative. I don't sit around constantly buoying myself up either - sometimes you have to allow a bit of feeling sorry for yourself - but then you have to try and move on and out of it. I think a positive mindset is very helpful if you can train yourself to have one!

To answer the OP, yes i'm glad I was born. If I said no, what are my reasons? Suicidal? Martyrdom? I didn't have any input in my birth - ditto my name! Stop pondering the meaning of life and just get on with it, would be my motto!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not particularly is the best answer I can give.

Everything seems to be so depressing at the moment. We're seeing the worst of humanity more and more at the moment while the planet is getting worse daily.

I'm trying to be healthy by lifting weights and eating properly, making sure I travel every so often, and reading regularly but ultimately, it all feels a bit pointless.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement