Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic calming ramp or pedestrian crossing?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So the cyclists can more easily cross from one footpath they're not allowed to be on, to another footpath they're not allowed to be on?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that roundabout in that picture is on the shandon roundabout on the N25; in a town which is attracting cycle tourists of all ages. do you think all cyclists should use the road? i.e. do you think the infrastructure is adequate?

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0935478,-7.6225177,3a,75y,201.65h,86.5t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s65301SYTat5YnY2syGhx-g!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D65301SYTat5YnY2syGhx-g%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D306.6767%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I think they and everyone else should obey the rules of the road.

Pedestrians must not be ignored, just because motorists often sh!t on cyclists is no excuse for cyclists to sh!t on pedestrians.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you think the infrastructure is adequate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭zg3409

I don't like zebra crossings. It encourages the pedestrians to assume cars will realise they intend crossing and know they are going to cross.

Like mentioned I have seen cyclists go from footpath to crossing without checking. In one case I was a passanger in a car that had to stand in brakes as cyclist suddenly turned to cross zebra crossing.

I much prefer a traffic light controlled crossing away from junctions. However I would prefer if they went quickly to red when button pressed, rather than linked to nearby junction lights where they let cars go for ages making pedestrian wait and consider running across. I know at peak times these crossings delay traffic but at non peak times pedestrians should get immediate priority.

The OP crossings are not very clear and pedestrians and motorists get confused. At night they are hard to see, and sometimes there is parking spaces both sides meaning pedestrians cannot be seen staring to cross. A red light is far clearer and tends to be obeyed by cars. However as said costs of putting in traffic lights and maintaining them may mean they are not used.

I always watch like a hawk but it's very hard to tell if a pedestrian or cyclist on a path intends crossing shortly. The red light adds a tiny delay and confirms the intention of the person crossing. I would like to see statistics on road deaths and crossing types. I know in my town a new junction was not made a roundabout instead it was made a signal controlled junction with pedestrian crossings everywhere, it is safer but by God for motorists it creates delays that never existed when there was no traffic lights there at all. When car junction traffic lights are broken often traffic moves far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭veryangryman

If the roads just had multiple bumps so pedestrians can cross easily without fear, we wouldn't need traffic lights. And stopping would be a rare need on a straight road as you'd see the pedestrian and be already going slow enough to time your approach

• Registered Users Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So cyclists can't see the black and white strips on the road or flashing orange beacons? Of course they can and they have to stop for pedestrians on a zebra crossing like any other road traffic.

Wake me up when it's all over.

a cyclist going full tilt should be able to stop their bike within the distance visible to them. that's a no-brainer.

Is that supposed to be an excuse to scare the shít out of elderly pedestrians on what is supposed to be a space which is safe for them?

• Advertisement

i am asking you if you think the current infrastructure is safe for a ten year old to use, for example. you're conflating the point i'm clearly trying to make with 'scaring the **** out of elderly pedestrians' so i suspect we're coming at this from different approaches which will be difficult to reconcile.

(that's a polite way of me saying you're strawmanning my argument)

It's not strawmanning to point out that a footpath is a space for feet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To repeat MB's question, all things remaining equal, would you allow a ten year old to cycle on the road or what would you advise?

Advertisement