Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At Your Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

jellybear wrote: »
    The dog was lovely :D
    The place has a lot of potential! I would add an awning to the huts with an outdoor table and chair set. I actually think there are too many beds in the huts. I'd like a table and chairs for board games etc.
    They did a lot of work in the time though so fair play to them!:)

Yeah fair play to them they seemed a lovely couple. Should have got more shots / made more of the view of the water. One thing I could work out why they had so much gravel on the site and why they had all the pitches right next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That campsite on last week's show was one of the most run down locations I have ever seen on the show.

The place was like a building site crossed with a dump. I'm glad John told them straight that it was nowhere near acceptable.

It looked better by the end, obviously but I don't know how anyone could could invite paying guests into a place looking like that, never mind a Television series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Loftus House! My goodness! What a project. They've already put in a fair amount of work if the garden is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Your man clearly isn't used to cleaning rooms if he thinks that is bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Loftus hall is some undertaking!!!

• Advertisement

By far the most enjoyable episode of At Your Service I've ever watched. The time just flew by and the show was over in what seemed like half the usual time. Fair play to the owners. They are a great team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I agree. But it was a pity to give up on the glamping after one bad experience.

Also sad to see the house in that condition. Maybe they will go on The Great House Revival next.

happyday wrote: »
    I agree. But it was a pity to give up on the glamping after one bad experience.

Also sad to see the house in that condition. Maybe they will go on The Great House Revival next.

LOL! That would really be something to look forward to.

The glamping "tents" looked lovely. Maybe, once they really get going, they will try the glamping again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,248 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Love this series.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Love this series.

Yes! The "boys" have upped their game. They may be modeling themselves on certain aspects of Gordon Ramsey-type shows. Witness arriving in on bicycles, tractors, steam-rollers, etc. Next has to be by helicopter . ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

Those tents and huts would make a lovely weekend market. Have a few local craftspeople, bakers etc renting out a space. Would go perfectly with the family day out they're trying to create.

No dog this week so didn't enjoy it as much.

Brennan brothers as legendary as ever!

A huge undertaking this week. No pun intended! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I used to find Francis funny but now hes just boring and cliched. You always know exactly what hes going to say and his attempt to be zany just annoy me now. Its always some comment like "Goodness Grief, are you living in the Dark Ages or what" or "Oh my Lord, I last saw that tablecloth in 1945!". Yawn.

But hes certainly milking it for all its worth, turning up to literally the opening of an envelope, Ryan and Ray love him for some reason as hes been on their shows dozens of times by now. And I get the sense he believes his own hype and that hes some sort of "celebrity" instead of a businessman who was given a good opportunity.

Did they really sleep in the bunk beds? I doubt it.

Ah Lord! What a disappointing finish! Seems I'm talking to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Ah Lord! What a disappointing finish! Seems I'm talking to myself.

I suppose they can't all be success stories but this one was very disappointing.

happyday wrote: »
    I suppose they can't all be success stories but this one was very disappointing.

Has the potential to be a great business, but the woman running it just seemed to be a bit run-down by it all.

Actually really enjoying this season, great to see more of John.

There was a huge amount of work to be done. Just seeing all of those bunk beds go out must have been soul destroying. The sister seemed to be carrying most of the responsibility. She obviously had done her best - but sadly that was not enough.

It's a very fine place. Hope they get it together for the following season.

I am enjoying this run more than recent series of the show.

There is a greater variety of businesses with different issues, and John is being featured more prominently.

The show last night felt like a real challenge. The end result was disappointing but it was genuine, unlike many episodes in the last few years where the owners seem to have their renovations already planned in detail, and are only on the show for publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Skid X wrote: »
    I am enjoying this run more than recent series of the show.

There is a greater variety of businesses with different issues, and John is being featured more prominently.

The show last night felt like a real challenge. The end result was disappointing but it was genuine, unlike many episodes in the last few years where the owners seem to have their renovations already planned in detail, and are only on the show for publicity.

Haven't watched this one yet, but I agree Skid
    Some of the earlier ones, I remember one in particular where, honestly, there was no challenge as such. There was endless money, and it felt like an ad.

I like what John brings to the programme. It works better with both of them rather than Francis on his own, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Haven't watched this one yet, but I agree Skid
    Some of the earlier ones, I remember one in particular where, honestly, there was no challenge as such. There was endless money, and it felt like an ad.

I like what John brings to the programme. It works better with both of them rather than Francis on his own, IMO.

I think that was the couple who bought a hotel and it was nearly up and ready to go before the Brennan’s got to it.
    The woman in question was from a family of hoteliers so absolutely no need for the Brennans as the lady’s parents had more experience and know how that both John and Francis.
    It was clearly a paid advertisement for the new hotel. I think they had deep pockets as well.

harr wrote: »
    I think that was the couple who bought a hotel and it was nearly up and ready to go before the Brennan’s got to it.
    The woman in question was from a family of hoteliers so absolutely no need for the Brennans as the lady’s parents had more experience and know how that both John and Francis.
    It was clearly a paid advertisement for the new hotel. I think they had deep pockets as well.

Yeah, that was the most blatant pre-planned renovation, although there were a number of others where the owners looked to have their revamps planned in detail regardless of what advice they were given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, that was the most blatant pre-planned renovation, although there were a number of others where the owners looked to have their revamps planned in detail regardless of what advice they were given.

Yes. I think the one I was thinking of was a hotel in Ennis - possibly.
    The son was inheriting it. Loads of money and really just an ad for the hotel, in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

No dog / cat yet.

Still no dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Denise a very pretty girl

They have done a nice job on the renovations.

The reviews on Tripadvisor are glowing https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186621-d15327163-Reviews-The_Bedford_Townhouse_Cafe-Limerick_County_Limerick.html#REVIEWS

I liked what they did but really it seemed an advert for their place. Granted they took on board a few ideas but prefer the smaller budget businesses they often help.

Also more dogs needed in future episodes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There was a glimpse of a dog at the very end of this week's episode!

Bloody hell, what an undertaking - I have nothing but admiration for the people who run those stately piles, I'd be exhausted just thinking about it.

I wasn't mad about the end look of the wedding reception room/bar - but then the place isn't your usual run-of-the-mill venue, so formulaic decoration was never going to suit it (or get past the owner!).

I was surprised by how determinedly and nearly painfully bland Dromquina Manor was - I don't know what I expected, but that wouldn't do it for me either - too far the other end of the spectrum.

And to be fair, quite possibly both look FAR better in real life!

Anyone else get the feeling that the "wedding" at the end was totally staged for the show? They were on about their numbers needing an overflow space, but it looked like there were about 25 guests! Maybe I'm gone too cynical in my old age....

Advertisement