Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now clashing with SPRAOI every year - good or bad?

Options
  • 22-07-2022 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

I can't figure out why the ATN organisers pick, what most people in Waterford at least would call, 'the Spraoi weekend' to hold their festival. I love both but surely they would both be better taking place on different weekends. I know both attract legions of non-Waterford visitors but surely for locals, it would be better to have them on separately?

Or am I wrong, do they compliment each other? Would love to hear opinions and data from those in the know regarding attendances reduced or enhanced by running them concurrently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Its so annoying. I'm going to ATN this year but I'm fuming to be missing Spraoi. The clash definitely impacts Spraoi more than it does ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Guess it is one of those things that there is no right or wrong really. Personally, I would not have a problem with it. I think it enhances Waterford as a destination. The people from outside Waterford going to ATN probably would not have come otherwise. Had a quick look at hotels. The Granville is booked out next weekend. Tower is booked out on Saturday, little left the other days. So still seems that there will be plenty of non-ATN visitors also. But yes, if you want to go to both ATN and SPRAOI you can’t. Guess that is what they call a first world problem.

Post edited by BBM77 on

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Stupidity really!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nomoedoe

Two completely different festivals and the majority of people going to ATN aren’t from Waterford ,i doubt the organisers of ATN ever thought of Spraoi and dont care about it why should they!,its great to a have a music festival with international acts every August bank holiday right on our door step,Spraoi will still get the families and big crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Speaking of spraoi anyone know if there's a rhythm route this year? Can't find any info on their websites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aziz

Very little in the way of music in pubs this year, mainly outdoor stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Flow Motion

TBH Spraoi peaked in the late 90's/early 00's.... it definitely had that secret ingredient... but Waterford being Waterford it rehashed the same ol trick ad infinitum... its purely a kids event these days... all the craic was drained out of it... only have to look @ the timetable for this year with many acts repeating a performance over the weekend... large gaping gaps on all days... only have to look @ the rhythm route acts... no offence but predominantly locals... one name caught my eye.. Soul Reason! How long are these guys knocking about FFS??? They were old hat when I was in my prime and that was at least 30 years ago... I'll take the bus the Portlaw thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Realistically the Spraoi festival shouldn't really be at the August Bank Holiday any longer if it's really a kids festival now at this stage.

With so many families away on holidays, something like the last weekend in August might be a stronger option. It might actually give a bit of a boost to the Bluegrass festival in Dunmore if more people were coming down to stay that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

Spraoi for children a load of fiens going round with paper mache heads on them

• Advertisement

The rhythm route is garbage this year. Wow. Worst it's ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

King Kong Company are playing down the plaza Saturday night at 10pm, just in case anything some of ye are getting nothing off that 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great to have both festivals back

I love my live music as much as the next person but its such a pity there's no 'Day and non camping' tickets for ATN. Be nice to go out for the day and then bus back in. Hate camping with a passion

King Kong Company playing the Plaza on Saturday night

Nice for the plaza to be used for something worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

You dont have to camp at ATN.....

Drive out , park , go into ATN.

Leave ATN, drive home.

And repeat on the next day .....

You can come and go to ATN ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Wheres Paulie Cool FFS ! !?!?!?! 😂

Spraoi is dying a slow death ...

Not a patch on what it was 5 years ago...

Thats a fact.

Need to move it to Kilkenny wheres theres crowds and life on the streets ...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

Maybe you should move/stay in kilkenny if its that appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Crowds on the streets in Kilkenny because that is all there is to do there.

Maybe try travelling up, take a look around and report.

Crowds every where , on every street through out every weekend . Street vendors, music, Food stalls along the parade outside the castle.

A fine example of city planners making the best of what the streets have and utilising it , the opposite of waterford. Thats a fact.

Unfortunately the busiest part of waterford is people going into Penneys....

The Cats Laughs festival is a good example of what Spraoi should be now.

What age are you ??? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

So your answer is move the festival to Kilkenny? You complain about what it should be, are you involved? Do you support it ? Have you given your input ?Doesn't suit your narrative so move it to Kilkenny.

Great solution, that's really going to benefit Waterford city, thanks for the strategic advice, as I said if Kilkenny floats your boat go there and enjoy, if spraoi isn't for you don't go ! I'm sure the thousands who will go out and about will enjoy it.

Have fun in Kilkenny.....

Post edited by Rustyman101 on

• Advertisement

It's nothing but stags and hens don't kid yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭914

Ye Spraoi attracting 10k people on Sunday night year in year out, major failing alright!

Was the rhythm route not always outdoor music and it's only if it was raining that the music was moved into the pubs?

I presume it's up to the pubs to organise music within their venues and not Spraoi seen as it's a street festival

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Some load of disgruntled forty somethings on here. Kilkenny has a nice castle, fully maintained by OPW, which was and is the basis of their offer, which is excellent. Remove it and you have Clonmel, a very nice middle sized Irish town with a pretense to city status. Why people feel they have to have a cut off what is happening in Waterford is beyond me, other than the opportunity to do so, especially considering the number of people from Co Kilkenny who earn their living in Waterford city. Greenspurs in particular. People in Waterford are trying hard for their city, a place with many faults, but with a lot to offer. Spraoi does what it does. Any one with a great artistic and commercial vision about how to do things better would be more than welcome by Spraoi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Was in for spraoi today. Fairly desperate with the weather cancelling a lot of things. It ALWAYS rains August Bank Holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I think it was always a bit of both. They both outdoor music and music in pubs also. Music line up is fairly disappointing tbh this year.

Plaza was rocking tonight with Kong Kong Company, unreal way to close out Day 2, rain held off and all!

Even if it did rain I don't think it would have dampened the atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Valhalla90

Typical to see the Kilkenny trolls here as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Had a walk around today, great to see the crowds around town

Used to love the Bolton Street stage back in the day. Those light up yo yos were the job

• Advertisement

Great day Sunday, sun shining great crowds around with some great acts on.

Parade and fireworks were spectacular as always

Advertisement