Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with neighbours- constantly on edge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Pistachio19

Tell your partner to tell his mother to stop passing on these ridiculous messages to you both. There is nothing to complain about. If your partner's mother chooses to engage in this nonsense with the neighbour, then she's as bad as the neighbour. You need to ignore his mother and he needs to tell her to either stop taking calls from the neighbour, or stop bothering you both with the complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes but bear in mind that the OP might want to keep a good relationship with partner's mother. Really up to her partner to take the lead on matters like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 chloe775

Lol I’m far from oblivious. I’m not even a dog person, it was my partner who wanted a dog. I love him but he can be annoying as f**k but I’m not going to have complaints when I have video proof of them lying.

Leave the dog on his own a lot? If going shopping for food once a week and going to work constitutes to leaving him alone a lot then yeah. I worked from home up until 2 months ago and then was written off work for my mental health. I only went back to work 2 weeks ago. If we go anywhere he either comes with us or we put him in the kennels over night.

But please, if I’m downplaying his behaviour I can send you the last 2 months of footage no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,323 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How long are you leaving the dog for ?

Normally he’s never on his own more than about 3 hours and that’s rare. It’s usually about an hour when we go food shopping once a week. When I started my new job, I had to go into the office but we’re lucky my partner has flexibility with working from home so he’s been home the past two weeks bar 2 days (one each week) so he was on his own all day. If we ever actually go anywhere he either comes with us or goes to the kennels if we’re going out for the night. We’re putting him back into doggy day care but it’s just finding somewhere that has availability, but we’ve one or two options so hopefully in the next two weeks we’ll be sorted in that aspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think you need to lay down the law to your partner's mother. Every time the contact her she should say to talk to you partner. If they keep it up she will have to end her friendship with them. 

They are making a nuisance of themselves I'd get solicitor to send them a letter. Telling them to stop bothering you. If they make anymore false statements about you then you will take them to court for defamation. Also drop into the Guards and ask them to have a word with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If you're not hearing from the neighbour directly, maybe it's actually the mother in law who is the problem.

Might be a handy excuse for her to pick up the phone and stay in contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

🙈This makes me so grateful to live in the sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

No stones?

-------------------------------------------------------

Warning for breach of charter. Please stop posting irrelevant posts on threads.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

So many people sit at home with nothing to do other than look for petty ways to preoccupy their time. Such a waste of life...

My sister has a similar problem to this but she owns the house and the neigbour is a psychopath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Citygirl1

Reading this, I tend to agree that there are two sides to every story. And, in this story, while your neighbour is certainly difficult, you've clearly put yourselves in the wrong by bringing this dog into the equation.

In your first post you've admitted he is a hound with a "loud bark". Immediately this sounds unsuitable for a residential area.

And initially the dog's behaviour was such that you had to get a trainer. His barking prior to that would have got any neighbour offside. You seem to believe that you did this as a favour to the neighbour, and any further complaints were unreasonable.

What strikes me most is when you say "He would bark for about two minutes when we left...". You must consider that to you this was predictable, as you know when you're leaving the house. And of course, as you're walking/driving away you don't have to listen to it. From your neighbour's perspective this means the barking would start at any random time throughout the day, and continue for several minutes.

I would suggest you stop and consider how you would feel in the following scenario: Say your neighbour, every single day for months on end, at completely random times, turned on some rock music at top volume, for a few minutes each time.

Also, regarding your cameras, do these actually record sound? Most cameras I'm familiar with only record images. Assuming this, it's not really possible to always tell if the dog is, or is not, barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

You don't need to have a neighbour on side to keep a Dog. Op ignore that neighbour they seem like a head case.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I'd be very pissed off if I was the mother inlaw if I had to pass on these messages. What does she think about all this?

Put ourselves in the wrong by getting a dog? Are you for real? Do you live your life based on decisions made by your neighbours? We’ve had our dog a year. They’ve been causing tension around here for two years. There was problems long before the dog came into the equation.

We didn’t get a trainer for just his barking, we got him a trainer because we wanted him to be the best dog he could be and we felt we’d got him to the best we could get him on our own. The main reason for the dog training was leash training as hounds are notoriously bad for pulling.

I can completely appreciate how annoying it is for him to start barking randomly. I understand where they are coming from. It was when we bought the cameras and realised what they were saying and what was actually happening wasn’t adding up, that we became annoyed.

In terms of the cameras, yes they record sound and we can speak to him from our end too if necessary.

At the beginning she was. Since we got the cameras and have video and sound proof to show her, she doesn’t really get annoyed (not at us anyway!) She puts up with the calls and texts because they’re friendly anyway, but I’ve told her I’d rather her not. She does what she wants though so

Literally. She once gave out to my friend because he laughed as he was walking out of our house to leave. It was 9pm on a Saturday night and she’d only been living there a month. Not a great impression lol.

I feel for your sister! Hopefully things aren’t too bad for her

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

if the dog is causing a problem get rid of dog... problem solved...

Considering they complained about everything before we got the dog, doubt it will solve the problem. Also not gonna let neighbours dictate who lives in my house and who doesn’t

So you addes petrol to a fire and come here whinging that its hot... I wouldn't trust you with matches... you likely burn the house down...

Warning given for breach of Charter

HS

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Add petrol to the fire? We got a dog bro, like more than half the people in this country have. We didn’t do anything completely out of this world rare.

• Advertisement

You also made a difficult situation worse bro so that's your prob bro. Not half of country have problems with neighbours.

Live with it.

Advertisement