Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you know that wears suncream everyday?

Options
13»

Comments

Make sure whatever moisturiser you choose is free from fragrance and alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I live in a hot climate so do wear sunscreen on my face everyday but is covering every bit of exposed skin at all times really necessary? Don't the people who do this care about their vitamin d levels? I was advised by a doctor to sit out for 10 mins a day without any sunscreen on. Even in the shade it will still be enough to make vitamin d

I only use sunscreen on my face all year round, and on other exposed skin in the warmer months. I wouldn't be putting sunscreen on my arms or shoulders in December, when they're fully covered up!

I take vitamin D every day since covid, so not too worried about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I do if there’s any hint of sun. I’m on medication that makes me really sun sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

Work in the forest sector, use sunscreen when working outside. Any exposed skin but not over the winter, always have layers on. Probably should use it on my face though. I know plenty that do not use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Myself and three of my kids spend a lot of time on the water (sea water) and anyone that knows what's what will wear factor 50 in and on the water during the late spring, summer & early autumn at sea. We cover our noses, ears, foreheads & cheeks with zinc. We surf with South Americans, North Africans and Southern Europeans (in Ireland) and they do the same even thought they have darker skin.

We've had friends that have scorned our insistence on sun protection that have ended in trouble after a full weekend of exposure with our long long days and short nights in the water including one farmer who insisted he was used to the outdoor weather and ended up in hospital with a serious problem that involved his eyelids being scorched so badly he couldn't close them. Another time a fella that married in to the family, insisted that he didn't burn, lay on the top deck of the boat all day and ended up in Beaumont hospital with blisters the size of grapes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I wear SPF50 on my face every day - doctor's advice after being diagnosed with acne rosacea ten+ years ago. I do notice the difference if I don't wear it especially on a very cold or very sunny day os I try to never miss a day or run out. A cold wind can even make my skin sore, it's very sensitive.

For years I had been using La Roche Posay SPF50 mixed with one of their daily moisturisers on my face every day as there were no SPF50 moisturisers when I started. I've recently tried Alpha H Protection Plus Daily Moisturiser which has factor 50 and was good, no complaints except that it's about double the price. I've also recently tried Rosalique moisturiser which is also supposed to be factor 50 but is not - I am recovering from a breakout from last week to prove it so will be using that only on days I am mostly indoors now. I'll probably go back to La roche Posay when I have run out of the two above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't abide putting any kind of creams on my skin. Only oil based if necessary.

It doesn't make any sense to completely block sunlight because then the body won't be able to naturally defend itself from sun rays.

The reason Africans are black is because their skin has developed a natural defence to intense sunlight.

So using sun screens everyday to me is like using antibiotics unnecessarily. We would loose our natural ability to defend our bodies from viruses or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I've snow white skin and I wear sunscreen on my face every day. This is because I ended up getting a couple of dry spots on my forehead which turned out to be actinic keratosis which is a pre cancer condition caused by overexposure to sun. I got the dry spots frozen off by my GP and thankfully it hasn't returned since I started using sunscreen on my face. In my lab we regularly get dermatology samples from elderly patients with horrendous bcc cancers on their faces and scalps. Some of the skin samples we get resemble crusty volcanic craters. I dob't want to end up with that when I reach my 70's or 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ladybird25

I was recommended to use sun protection 50 SPF on my face daily, regardless for the weather or season. However I do not put any protection on the rest of my body unless I know I'm going to be exposed for a long time on the sun (more than 30 minutes or so), I am just not used to it and I am not sure if it's that important when it's not a daily recurrence here in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Its a myth that darker skinned people don't need to protect their skin from the sun. They can also suffer sun damage and develop skin cancers. All skin tones are advised to wear at least factor 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I do. SPF50 on my face and other exposed parts when the sun is out, all year round. Fitzpatrick type 1 skin so skin cancer is a real risk, and also use it against premature ageing.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

My grandmother did. Even if she was just going to stay in the house all day. Even if she won't go out of the house for that day, she would put some on. If I'm with her, she'd give me some too. She said that it can help the skin age gracefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm a couple of weeks into wearing it everyday now.As mentioned I go very dark in the summer for an Irish guy and already I can see that my arms are way darker than my face!

I've tried 3 different types now but haven't found anything I'd be happy with 365,can anyone recommend a non geasy (mattifying? I'm learning a whole new vocabulary!) Spf moisturiser.,Thanks.

Advertisement