Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you know that wears suncream everyday?

Options
  • 15-07-2022 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭

Apparently this is quite common.

You supposed to wear high SPF suncream on your face 365 days of the year,even in Ireland,even in winter.

I have been very irresponsible in the sun all my life,had to see a consultant about sun damage on my face and he said I have to do this forever.

I should have listened to Baz Lurman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Baz Luhrman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

It's not that hard to do all part of a routine, there is plenty of sunscreens that are very light on the face. I would wear often enough, have been getting into a routine to do it daily again especially in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

Keep factor 50 off the Mickey especially the helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭HBC08

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sounds like the sort of advice you'd follow if you want to poison yourself! Mid summer if you're going to be out and about a fair bit, it makes sense. Other times of the year? We do also have a problem with lack of sun/ daylight exposure - needed to make Vit D, iirc. So a bit of skin exposure to sun/ daylight no harm at all in autumn/ winter/ spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

As someone who has had BCCs and skin cancers, I'll stick with the medical advise, thank you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

BCC Friend!!!

Yeah, that advise is not good advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

My aunt has a white cat with sensitive ears, he goes through tons of sun cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The mother and my aunt.. both had skin cancers and are told to wear it daily and do so.

Numerous medical studies show it decreases you chance of reoccurrence of skin cancer. Both have been told to wear it by dermatologists and do, the mother keeps a tube of sun cream in the car year round. As well as in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,472 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Try malignant melanoma and then see if you'd advise using sunscreen.

I haven't had it but metastasis tends to be rapid and deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I use suncream as a facial moisturiser year round, I put it on every morning.

Baz Luhrmann.

Sorry I'm after repeating your post. I hadn't read the thread🙂

Just listening to John Creedon and he had that song on,hadn't heard it in about 20 years,coincidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I've worn sunscreen pretty much all my adult life. I have to, I'm ridiculously sensitive to the sun.

On the plus side though a lifetime of floating about looking decidedly spectral has rewarded me with virtually no wrinkles.

Wasn't their something about nano particles in sunscreen getting into bloodstream before?

Me. Every day regardless of the season. I wear a mineral one because my skin can be sensitive. My main motivation for it is anti aging purposes and because sun exposure increases my sensitivity. Of course the health reasons are also important.

I wear SPF50 on my face all year around, following dermatologist's advice. Several years ago, I noticed a darker patch developing on one side of my face and had it investigated. The dermatologist I saw in TUH warned me that it was not cancerous "yet, but could become so" (heavy emphasis on yet) if I did not take precautions.

My regular moisturiser is SPF 15 so i suppose I am such a person. 30 or 50 (children's!) during very sunny weather. My face isn't crazy pale but the rest of me is milky white and there's no way I'd manage to get a tan. Got bad sunburn as a kid, and never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,740 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I use it all year round, but I do skip parts, like back of neck, front of neck, I use on face, I guess I need to up my game to use it on all exposed skin.

If you want a great product easy to use, leaves no white haze, then I recommend Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturizer with broad spectrum SPF 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I use a moisturiser everyday on my face with SPF in it. When in hotter climates usually cover up all exposed areas, that’s about it. Easy peasy. If it’s dark or post late shower just use regular moisturiser without SPF that’s the extent of me bothering really. Simple and effective skin care laziness

Edit: It’s Jack Black i use too. Seems legit. Cetaphil for no SPF. Kiehl’s is also decent for SPF and non SPF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I know nobody that wears Suncream. Everyone wears sheer spf sprays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Slideways

It’s “screen” not cream.

I live in a hot part of Australia and work in an even hotter part. When you see old fellas here you know what the affects of sun long term on the skin is.

I’ll be honest, I rarely if ever use it when I’m home, maybe if I went to the beach or was lying out in it.

At work in the height of summer I’ll try and use it but the red dust sticks to it and I end up looking like trump and when you try and reapply it’s like a facial scrub. This year I’ll be better, I pinky promise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I have to wear 30 SPF in winter, everyday. And 50 in summer.

Can I ask why? A choice or you were told by a consultant as in my own case.

Also can I ask what you use?

I've been using some stuff the girlfriend gave me but it feels greasy and I dont feel clean after it.Ive never used moisturiser before for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Was told by a dermatologist. I use la roche posy brand because that was recommended by the dermatologist. Use one for the face and different one for exposed skin like arms and legs but both of them la roche posy. You can get it in any good chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yea ive met one or two that do, i wear it a good bit throughout the year, obviously mostly during sunnier periods, but sometimes during the winter months, when on the mountains, as i experience wind burn regularly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

Wind burn on the backside is bad, no more mini skirts climbing mangerton now.

• Advertisement

Do you know your skin type? There are 4: Normal, oily, dry, and combination. Some will include Sensitive in that. Yours will determine what the best product is for you. There are tests you can take online which will help you figure it out.

The right product won't leave you feeling greasy and not clean.

Sun creams can be tricky though. Even those with skin of an armadillo can find it hard to get the right one. This isn't helped by talk of controversial ingredients such as oxy and avobenzone and the impact SPF products have on our oceans.

Factor 15 isn't enough. You need to be wearing at least 30. Also for women wearing makeup the SPF included in it is rarely decent. Checking the ingredients list on Incidecoder will help. https://incidecoder.com/

You need to wear an awful lot to get the full factor protection. It's 3 finger lengths for your face.

I used a Vichy SPF 50 for years until it start to pill, perhaps connected to having developed mild rosacea. It was a chemical form so not great for any skin sensitivities. Anyways I now use Elta MD Pure SPF 47.

It has antioxidants and is quite a sophisticated mineral cream but it leaves a white cast. I tried an Elave mineral SPF and while it didn't leave the cast it pilled and left my skin feeling dry.

I've always loved skincare products and makeup. Since my skin turned sensitive I've done loads of research on different products and what's best to avoid and include. It's a sort of hobby of mine now.

Advertisement