Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Cork

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Cheers, thought Pearse Road ended by the church for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭notAMember

Mahon to Cork

That's the whole point of it. That's why trees get knocked and people lose their gardens / houses.

Bus connects =

Inbound and outbound bus lane

Inbound and outbound car lane

Inbound and outbound bike lane

Inbound and outbound pedestrian path

That's 4 types of traffic, each way = 8

See the cross section and the link above to the maps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭kub

With the amount of space these routes are going to take up, then i cannot help but compare them to with dual carriageways like the Blackpool bypass and how it cut through an urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭snotboogie

So you are counting a pedestrian footpath as a “road lane”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,898 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ah, I love the hyperbole of the 8 Lane roads!

By that standard, there's a 5 lane road runs close by my house. It has a footpath, a cycle lane, a car/bus lane, another car/bus lane and another footpath.

Of course, in any normal circumstances, as observed by any normal person, it would be described as a 2 way street. But hey, now it's a 5 lane road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Are you joking?? I presume you are. So you now classify a footpath and cycle lanes as roads? 🤣😂🤣😂

I live in a quiet estate but I guess I now live with a 6 lane road outside my door. 2 footpaths, 2 cycle lanes and 2 road lanes.

The hyperbole and downright lies over BusConnects is something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The lengths and lies the NIMBYs will go to knows no bounds. There was a fella on Twitter recently claiming the Douglas Road was being turned into a full on dual carriageway under BusConnects. I lay a lot of the blame on the councillors in these areas telling lies and riling up the locals for their own short term political gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PreCocious

The people on Boreenmanna Road also forget to classify the current two lanes of parking as lanes. The children that will supposedly be endangered by the cycle lane are somehow not in anyway endangered whilst crossing through the parking lanes.

Yes, of course I am considering it infrastructure. There it is on the plan. It's not a tree, a private garden, a ditch, grassy verge, planting. Nothing natural remains there. It's a barren strip hard surface. It takes up physical space. It's an actual visible piece of transport infrastructure.

Meh, some people value living things, for shade, sound absorption, air quality, water management, wildlife support, ecosystem maintenance, visual aesthetics, and want to find ways to accommodate both natural and transport. Ya know, compromise, happy medium.

Others just want to concrete over everything. What can I say, I don't get the vitreol, maybe you're in tarmac sales. :D More more more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Schorpio

A footpath is definitely infrastructure, and it's definitely not a road.

Some of the comments would seem to suggest that the proposals will demolish lovely natural areas and produce a concrete wasteland. The reality is that this is is already a city centre area. BusConnects are proposing strategic corridors on existing heavily trafficked routes (by and large - there are some new routes).

I'm not saying that there won't be a single blade of grass harmed - but equally people need to accept that this is a city centre location. Perspective is required.

• Advertisement

Yes exactly. Perspective needed. These projects can easily incorporate some existing established life with a tweak or two, and then we're all sorted. At the moment, the plans are pretty much a concrete wasteland.

I'm all for buses, in fact, I'd like more right now. Would it kill them to throw on some extra buses on the routes while we are waiting for 2030 / 2040 or whenever they get around to this ginormous capital project? Because that would also take some cars off the roads short term. Maybe we will all be flying around by the time this thing gets off the ground. Yes, pun intended.

Because that's the goal, right? More public transport? Somehow it seems pointless having one bus an hour using some of the "heavily trafficked" roads now. Could be the very reason they are heavily trafficked imho, some of these routes already have bus lanes here and there.

Call me a cynic, but this plan just adds another pile of lanes to be unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

”8-lane road” would normally be taken to mean 8 normal traffic lanes, like the M25 in London or parts of the M50 in Dublin. Somebody who includes adjacent cycle tracks and footpaths in the total number of lanes is being very disingenuous.

Advertisement