Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking in or near East Point Business Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I have to agree. I thought about a role with a commute like that at one point, but quickly realised that the opportunity wasn't worth the impact it would have had on my private life.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

No. I can't find a way to DM you; your profile won't load, it's private.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Sorry, I mustn't have hit save. Am public now.

Same old story. I worked in East Point Business Park and it was the usual "waiting list / no guarantee". The parking in East Point never scaled even twenty years ago and the infantile mentality of the facilities departments about it is unhelpful. No parking close that I know of. Maybe bike it. Or use the DART/Shuttle. Or don't sign the contract and keep looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

From working there I get the impression that they really don’t want people driving there and are making it more difficult.

I kind of understand they don't want to encoursage driving to work. But then they should have arranged for the tram to get there.

Single track from Conolly or somwhere around there. Tram goes there returns, then the next. Same track could be used for cargo except for rush-hours. Or cable car from Grand Canal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Single track from Conolly or somwhere around there. Tram goes there returns, then the next. Same track could be used for cargo except for rush-hours. Or cable car from Grand Canal.

I kind of understand they don't want to encoursage driving to work. But then they should have arranged for the tram to get there."

Well the Red Luas line (tram) already runs past Connolly and down to the Point Theatre, which is pretty close to the business park. They run a free shuttle bus from the point theatre Luas line to the business park.

Between that, the DART and now the N4 operating to it 24/7 and the new N2/58/71/72 bus routes to come and the nice new bike lanes being built in the area, it is probably one of the best connected business parks in the country. Sure it might not suit you, but it is definitely well served by public transport.

"Same track could be used for cargo except for rush-hours. Or cable car from Grand Canal."

FYI Luas/Tram can't share track with heavy rail as they use a different rail gauge (along with other differences). Luas uses European Gauge, while rail uses Irish gauge, basically different width between the tracks. Plus that piece of track you are talking about is already the most congested in Ireland, running DART, Commuter Rail, Intercity, etc. No way could it fit Luas, nor with it makes sense as you can just change to the DART for Clontarf Station.

Not that it matters as Luas already heads down that way. They currently plan on extending that Luas line from the Point Theatre, to cross the river into Poolbeg/Ringsend area. Though in future in Dublin Port gets developed, I could see another spur going down Dublin Port which would bring it closer to the business park.

Actually an easy and cheap adjustment would be for them to put a pedestrian and cyclist crossing across Promenade road, by Bond Road and open up a pedestrian and cyclist entrance to the back of the park by the Deutsche Bank buildings. That would put the back of the park in pretty easy walking distance of the Point Theatre Luas stop (about 10 minutes walk).

At the moment, that entire rear of the area is designed to be super pedestrian hostile. Some small changes would greatly improve it. Many people scurry across Promenade road as is, despite there being no pedestrian crossing there currently!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Actually an easy and cheap adjustment would be for them to put a pedestrian and cyclist crossing across Promenade road, by Bond Road and open up a pedestrian and cyclist entrance to the back of the park by the Deutsche Bank buildings. That would put the back of the park in pretty easy walking distance of the Point Theatre Luas stop (about 10 minutes walk)."

Ah, it appears I'm not the only one with this idea!

The new route will include a dedicated bridge for cyclists and pedestrians to safely cross over the busy Promenade Road.

Sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,378 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I worked there 15 years ago and it was the same problem then.

• Advertisement

@bk: It was more a rant than a real proposition. If I were to talk seriously, I'd say that the only real solution to fix the transportation situation in Dublin is to change legislation and create corridors as straight or short if you will as possible for:

1) Cyclsits: near pedestrian paths, not cars. The practice of combining human flesh with tons of powerful metallic machines is barbaric IMNSHO. It should never have happened.

2) Light rail, possibly somewhat below or above street level, but not under the earth nor above the houses. The latter being ugly and expensive and the latter.... Well, apart from being expensive, metro/subway is also extremely unhealthy. After all we are primates, not moles. That to should never have been accepted by the public as being an ideal solution as many say. I rode subterranian trains for years and the horrible noise, the quality of the air, fluctuations in airpressure, lack of sunlight and over all claustrophobic conditions took a heavy toll on me.

The solution is to ban cars from the core city center and give the road space over to busses, trams, cycling and footpaths. There simply isn’t enough road space for everyone who wants to drive.

It is simple maths, cars tie up too much space and are too inefficient in their use of space. That is why you are seeing places like East Point and frankly most new city center offices have little or no parking space.

Light rail below street level is called a Metro. While I absolutely agree we need to build Metro lines, they do cost billions each and will take decades to build out a comprehensive network. Even then, you’d still want need to reduce cars, see congestion charging in London, despite them having the London Underground. Overhead trams is a complete non starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Not sure what company you're working for but parking there is not an issue for at least one of the companies. You get your application in with the days you want and they give you a sticker, Job done.

Never even used mine. The bike is king in Dublin. I appreciate that you may not have that as an option but life in Dublin sucks for getting around without a bike.

Advertisement