Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking in or near East Point Business Park

Options
  • 11-07-2022 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I was offered a Mon-Fri-job there and the only way to keep the commute to under 2.5h/day would be bike or car. Bike isn't really an option, not long-term. And if I were to use public transit, I would still need to drive to it and it be both: over 3h/day and more expensive.

So are there any options to park? (The company I'd be working for has a waiting list, does not "guarantee", etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Is there anywhere along the DART line you could park. Could also park somewhere along the new N4 bus route and use that the rest of the way. Should be able to park in one of the estates around Finglas then get the bus from there. Failing all that would WFH be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Where would you be coming from? EastPoint run a shuttle bus to and from Clontarf Road DART station. They also have another one that runs from Wapping Street, near the Spencer Dock Luas stop via The Point but it can be a bit unreliable.

I work in EastPoint myself but am working out my notice at the moment. The commute from Drogheda has been too much for me, 2 hours each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

I live in the Wicklow mountains, an hour's walk from any public transit. Walking home from the bus would take over an hour and the elevation is some 400m. So biking would be very hard and impossible in the winter.

I tried different combinations on google maps, and they were all too long and complicated. Working from home is not an option for this job.

Parking along the DART, possibly, but, as above: it would be long, complicated and I am not sure where along the DART would I park.

So, again, my question is:

Where can I park if I work there?

What would be the closest parking garage?

I can take a bike or roller with me and use that to get from car to work. But I can't find anything except WW and DART etc, which is only for their customers.

Greystones has parking. Booterstown is another option.

Greystones wouldn't work at all. Booterstown would, but it'll take much longer than driving through to East Point.

Have you tried that? Are there any spaces at like 6-8 AM?

So, there is just no parking in Clontarf or EastWall?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You should really talk to your employer and if it isn't too late already, perhaps make parking at East Point a requirement of your employment.

East Point is pretty much a ghost town at the moment, with visually tons of empty parking spaces, though they maybe designated to other companies. But perhaps the company could make some arrangement to get you a spot?

There is parking nearby at Clontarf DART station, there is a free shuttle bus that runs from the car park to East Point, but the walk only takes 10 minutes and is quiet pleasant. Only issue is the car park might be full by the time you get there, others with more experience might be able to advise:

There is also parking with Dublin City Council nearby at both Fairview and Clontarf, about 10 minute walk from East Point.

I'm not sure if it is still an option, but I know in the past a lot of folk at East Point would join the Westwood Gym, which has an overflow car park next to the DART station. They would then park in there for the day. Though that might have changed now, depends on how strict Westwood Gym security.

One thing to keep in mind about driving versus using the DART/Train. Even if the train is a bit longer, it can be a lot more comfortable. You can relax on the train, maybe sleep, maybe watch a movie, maybe get some work done, all things you couldn't do if driving.

Thank you! But it looks like all these places are for up to 2 hours only. I need to park for 10. I thought of WW already btw. But I doubt they will allow me to do that long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,671 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I used to work in Eastpoint and like that was trekking in from 2 counties away by car. The only way I think it'll work for you is if you get onsite parking to be honest.

I would talk to the employer/recruiter and have it as part of your terms before you accept as was suggested above.

Otherwise you may have to turn down the job IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭blackwhite

If coming from the Wicklow mountains, there's ample parking daily at Shankill Dart station

They could be coming from the Blessington direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's even more parking on the Red line at Cheeverstown or Red Cow and it's not too far a drive to reach the Green Line car parks, depending on the OPs starting time it could be an option.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ah the Dublin City Parking ones seem to be 3 hours alright.

However the Clontarf DART station one is definitely all day parking, assuming there is space.

Asking the employer was the first thing I did. I won't quote, but they might have as well just said "fcuk off!".

But isn't DART parking only available to their customers? Do you mean I could buy a DART ticket and park there? But then, wouldn't I be better off parking in Booterstown? Financially at least I definitely would be...

Afaik you can as the car park are managed by a separate company. Once you pay of course no real way of verifying if you're using the DART or not.

No need to buy a DART ticket, you just pay the parking fee which are listed here:

https://www.apcoaconnect.ie/locationDetail/?id=1425

Only issue might be what happens if the car park is full by the time you arrive. I don't know how busy it is at the moment.

Looks like APOCA also operate the car park at Booterstown and it is the same fee.

So at Booterstown it is parking fee + DART ticket, at Clontarf it would be parking fee + extra Diesel used to drive there.

Though again I'd consider the stress of trying to drive through the city center at rush hour versus just being able to relax/work on the DART.

Thank you! It suprises me though: I read "only for DART customers everywhere. I am not sure how to make sure...

I will consider taking the DART, not as much because of the stress of driving, which to me is less than the stress of changing horses and sharing space though. I will consider the DART only because cars were never an economically much less environmentally sustainable solution. But the transit in Dublin is just so miserably organized, I think the only alternative to a car for me would be a bike, an e-bike or a motorcycle, but not feasable where a live anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

there are a few roads down around East Wall which are residential (e.g. Church Road, Caledon Road), and parking is free. You'd be parking on the road outside someone's house and probably end up annoying some people. Other option is to stick a note in peoples doors offering a sum of money for use of their driveway. Friend did that and parked outside a house in Donnybrook and walked the rest of the way into Town - gave the house owner a fixed monthly fee.

Its about 15 minute walk from East Wall to East point

I thought about parking there actually. I wasn't sure if there is free parking for non-locals and also worry that might vandalize my car. I have been threatened and called "foreign cnut" in a nearby area.

Even the idea of asking residents accured to me. But I wondered if that would come across as totaly abnormal and just have them call the guards on the foreign cnut I am. So it is very good to know that people did it and succeeded. Great! Thanks!

Even better would be to leave the car at Lidl or Aldi there. But there surely it would be towed eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Based on what you describe I think you'd need to make parking a condition of your contract.

Switching between car and the DART is fine in the summer and more or less okay in decent weather, but remember you're going to be trying to do this in winter and in heavy rain.

For what it's worth, the very thought of a commute over two hours fills me with existential dread.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

When I inquired, they clearly said that prking isn't part of the employment contract.

Existential dread compelled me to considering taking the job in the first place. And procrastination might have brought it all about, or vice versa. At this stage I can't tell the chicken from the egg, making it irrelevant what came first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I have a free driveway I would consider renting out. DM me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All day parkers get clamped regularly in LIDL East Wall.

I presume Aldi is worse, being enclosed in their building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

My response to that would be along the lines of "I'm sorry to hear that. I'm really excited by this opportunity, but without guaranteed parking I'm afraid I won't be in a position to take it up. If you change your position on this in the future then I'd love to chat again."

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My second response to it would be to leave this job. Thats a disaster of a commute, horrendously expensive in terms of diesel but also the M50 tolls will cripple you if you go that way, or if you plough through Dublin from the N11 you'll have the East Link x2 every day as well.

I can do that. Let's hope they break and give in... ...not.

Unfortunately, I am entirely dispensable.

Is threre a way to DM a private profile? We're stuck! One of us will have to 'go public" for a minute. So we need to find the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stoofer

While there is a waiting list for the limited number of allocated parking spaces for each company within the business park, there's also an overflow car park located at the back of the business park which are general, unallocated spaces.

You'd still need for your employer to issue you a sticker/ log your car reg. but there's no waiting list to use it and it's max 10 min walk to any building from there

I tried to find out about the overflow car park, but didn't find a way to contact anybody. When inquiring with HR, they answered as above: waiting list, only temporary, not in your contract. So I am not sure now if what you describe is something independent from HR or have they denied me that already. I think it is the latter though. 10 min walk doesn't scare me, but I don't know if it is the solution. If I can park there, I'd surely try the commute. East Wall and DART is more of a hassle and it seems that we are at the end of the rope/thread here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭stoofer

Yes, it would be the company's HR that should sort out a parking sticker. Tell them that you'll be commuting by car and ask to be put on the waiting list (probably 2yrs+ - doesn't matter). They should take your reg details and issue you a parking sticker for your company and direct you to where overflow is located.

The overflow car park operates Mon-Fri from 6AM-9PM manned with a security guard. Perhaps, this has been scaled back post-pandemic. Eastpoint have a website with contact details so you could enquire there.

• Advertisement

I think I understood. Thank you! That was actually meant to be the begininng of this discussion but, never mind the order, it looks like we've covered the subject.

Since they haven't mentionned the overflow nor bothered explaining or suggesting this process, they aren't planing on providing parking in overflow for me. I'll probably try them on Monday, but it doesn't look promising. Shame.

Advertisement