Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I'm pretty damn smart, but am I actually thick?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The leaving is a test of can you write fast, can you memorise 1000s of facts, dates, etc and of course you can pick out certain subjects you like, no one gives a feck what you got in the leaving unless you are applying to go to 3rd level. Employers pick people based on how they dress, look, can they talk can they make conversation, the leaving is a screening test, eg you need x amount of points to be a doctor, solicitor,

We need more nurses, teachers, the leaving is just a hames of a rest. Part of the joy of life is learn from your mistakes, be polite, try not to piss people off, don't be rude, common sense is not so common

Most of life's lessons are not learned in a book. Also you need motivation. Energy , high iq by itself is like having a phone you never turn on.

Also being dependable on time showing up is half the battle. Unless you are a scientist, doctor, programmer no one gives a feck about your iq. There's a phrase I graduated in the university of life and its open to everyone

There's no fees no forms anyone can join

I only started learning maybe years after I left school. Library's are full of books that no one reads. Maybe a few per cent are worth reading

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Quote from the witch of the wilds in Dragon Age Origins: “ If you have to ask...”

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Common sense really goes a long way in the workplace

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

OP, would you like us to actually answer the question posed in the thread title, based on our first impressions of the standard of wriiten word you presented, or was that question rhetorically posed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Based on my experience, LC points correlate strongly with academic intelligence, problem solving ability and the ability to deal with many aspects of modern life. However, intelligent people can still have serious blind spots which impact on their success in life. I think they often retain a school mentality into adult life and get outmaneouvred in the workplace by spoofers, bullies, networkers, manipulators and assholes.

The Dunning Kruger effect could also be of relevance here. Intelligent people question and doubt themselves whereas stupid people are often brimming with confidence. If an intelligent person is naïve, he may take what a stupid person says at face value - sure, why would they say something unless they were sure it was correct?

People are making career decisions at 17 or 18 years old - they may be highly intelligent but clueless due to lack of life experience. An equally clueless but confident adult then gives them career advice that they run with. They may also easily fall for lies from vested interests.

I'm a scientist and got over 500 points in the LC, I have also been around a lot of highly intelligent scientists - people who were better than me and scored 550-600 points in the LC in the mid nineties when it was very rare. Yet, very few of us have had great careers. It is a terrible choice if you want to make money so why would someone who scores 600 points go down this path when they could do anything else? Is it because they somehow don't care about money or because they are both stupid and intelligent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The fact is over the age of 20 no one gives a damn about your leaving cert results,

You are judged by the clothes you wear, your manners, sense of humour, the problem many jobs won't take anyone who has no degree, even if it's useless, eg old english poetry, also for some reason women seem better at doing exams, i unless you. Want a medical degree or to study nuclear science law etc 500 points is not needed

There will be exceptions, anecdotal. But, if you did well in the LC chances are you did well in your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Same here as an aspiring clinical psychologist, hindsight bias is a great thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,390 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

A degree shows an ability to learn, to apply oneself and to stick things out. For many employers, their value is in those things rather than the subject of the degree itself.

Obviously experience etc. should also be a huge factor but the above is why a degree is a prerequisite in a lot of companies. Generally the more senior the role, the less importance is placed on academic qualifications, though. Depending on the sector, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I did terrible in my school years (from the UK, certifications different), messed about thought I was a "lad" and just tried to cruise through, obviously the certs proved I did not learn or listen.

I'm over 50 now and in fairness have a decent job and earn a decent salary (110+) but it took me 20 years to get to where I am, I learned an incredible amount going through jobs etc.

In my opinion, a good work ethic, a LOT of experience and the ability to be adaptable and quick to learn really got me to where I am, but I 100% realise that if I had studied and succeeded in examinations, I could of got to here about 15 years earlier.

Advertisement