Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I'm pretty damn smart, but am I actually thick?

Options
  • 11-07-2022 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I got about 320 points in the leaving. Pretty pathetic. I had no extenuating circumstances. I was just lazy. A lazy fucker who assumed everything would probably work out. I didn't really think about the future, and like a true thicko...I thought it was cool not try at school.

But since my school days, I managed to get a good degree as a mature student and I eventually ended up in a great job that earns me decent money (not sales). It took me until my late 20s, early 30s to get into this line of work, so it wasn't quick (for context, I did not grow up in Dublin and I did not have connections or an old-boys network to fall back on).

I mostly work with people who were straight A students and went to serious colleges (globally), and I'm often the one who's better at the job.

If I did the leaving now, I'm sure I could get straight As, or at least between 500-600 points.

I think I would class myself as very intelligent. But...am I actually thick?

My point is not if the Leaving Cert matters. It clearly doesn't as evidenced by this post. My point is if you're actually intelligent, you'd have figured out quite early that picking the subjects you like and acing them opens up a lot of doors.

For example, I'm friends with a few people who have aced every exam they took, got into an exciting field they love, and are now cruising in their high-salaried jobs, or are doing their own thing and basically millionaires (not via old-boy networks btw). I think the difference between me and them is that they figured "work ethic" out when they were 12 or 13. Basically they are the real smart people, whereas I'm basically thick, but adaptable.

That said...I know people who got 500+ points in their leaving and have dull jobs that they hate (often relatively low paid).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Leaving Cert points means SFA...

My OH 350pts - Currently earns €42k

Me 330pts - Currently earn €37k

My oldest main from school 530/60pts - On and off the dole since Covid19, and currently crashing on mates couches as his flat broke

Myself and the OH could move jobs in the morning and increase our wages by between 20-30% but we are currently happy with our work life balance and the security bond our current jobs ...

Leaving Cert is meaningless measure and I know many who are going out to work straight after school and some who did this and then went back as mature students when they figured out what they wanted to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gerrizz

I don't think I'm insecure, just being realistic/self-deprecating. Sometimes I find myself thinking I'm "smart" but I need to remind myself it took me a long time to figure stuff out. I really wish I figured things out in my early 20s, would have been awesome

I know a few guys who got 500+ points in their leaving and do nothing now. I'd put that down to a lack of confidence/mental health issues. Doesn't mean they are "thick".

I just have to laugh at how lazy I was in my teens. Tbh I think school and the leaving is BS in general, but there are benefits of working hard at it.

Post edited by gerrizz on

What's 'smart'? Academically gifted? You could be like Boris Johnson and be lacking in cop on.

Is it cop on? Emotional IQ? An ability to find a way of doing your job without being in Mensa? 320 points is fine, you said you didn't work hard. A lot of the 600+ points people would be learn by rote. ie. not that smart.

What talents make up smart? Are you good at maths, writing, languages, DIY, art etc. All are talents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

I was lazy when it came to school stuff...

But when it came to things I had interest in I put the work in...

Used to play a few different tabletop card games, competed at European level and domestically won numerous comps and tournaments and placed in many others...

The way things a done in school aren't optimal... Remember in biology not being able to understand how amylaze works, the teacher just kept explaining it the same way...a few years later watched a YouTube video about it, got it straight away, no confusion...

I typically prefer to see something in action and to be provided a real world example in order to understand it, your leaving cert typically ignores all that

What do you expect to get out of this? Reassurance or people telling you that you are thick.

Anonymous people making statements about someone they don't know.

🙄 You signed up for that. None of it is remotely funny or banter.

Am I thick or am I smart. Bantz.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

I got 575 I'm a pharmacist. My husband got 525 he was an electrician. I earned 52 grand a year. He earned 69000

In conclusion you aren't smart you just got lucky you absolute weirdo

Plus I'm pretty sure we earn more than you for all your "smartness"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Being in a secure job you like , earning enough to pay bills, own a house and enjoy life to a certain degree is a smart decision regardless of intellectual ability. You could be earning 45k a year and be happy but to move to 60k a year could bring more stress, worse work/life balance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There are different types of intelligence. Most genuinely smart people possess a number of them and know how to combine them for the optimal outcome in any given situation. That's generally how people become successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You should look up what happens to genius kids and realise there is way more to being smart. If you spend your life finding it very easy to understand something you don't know how to work hard to learn or do something.

I was a top student in many subjects but bottom of the class in languages. To me language seems to be memory based and I just don't have a good memory. In work it really has no effect because I take notes and create crib sheets. I can still figure out issues quicker than most people I work with but encoutering the same issue again I probably won't remember and have to figure it out again. Somebody else will just remember. As a result I am very particular about recording events so they can easily be looked up again by anybody but some people I work with rely on their personal memory that nobody else can access. Probably the biggest issue I have in jobs is people not recording what they do

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Success = Ability x Motivation x Opportunity

You mightn't have the highest IQ but you might be very motivated and get the opportunity and you are far more likely to succeed than someone who has a very high IQ but very little motivation and very little opportunity.

You might have a huge ability and significant motivation but if opportunities don't present themselves you may struggle to succeed.

And yes, sometimes it takes ability and motivation to create your own opportunities. But generally success is a combination of all three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,502 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There's book smart and real world smart. They're not part in parcel. Some incredibly book smart people I know come across as utterly thick, incompetent humans, and vice versa.

To me, it sounds like you matured later than most others. I can relate. Better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres actually nothing wrong with you at all op, our educational is beyond diabolical at this stage, as its effectively a giant memory test, which is an absolutely dreadful method of testing and improving peoples abilities and capabilities, its actually a great destroyer of them. many leave our educational system thinking theyre are very intelligent, with high points etc, but in fact, have only truly proven, they have a good memory, and are very capable of effectively following orders, i.e. perfect candidates for such work environments.... then theres the 'negative' outcomes, people who think theyre thick, struggled to 'successfully' complete the whole process, i.e. low points etc, many of these go on to develop very low self esteem, and the issues that brings about, all sorts of complex dysfunctional outcomes, including mental health and addiction problems etc etc.... so all in all, what a fcuking sh1t system! look after yourself op, you re one of the lucky ones, congratulations and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I'm not the sharpest tool in the box myself, I run on my own volition I'd say 90% of the time .

Every mistake made in life I've learned from it. And made better decisions. I still make cock ups now and again. And there's no point in blaming anyone else or people places and things. Just own it.

But the op in my opinion is emotionally intelligent and self aware. That's better than being obedient to the system and relying on MSM or influencers for what direction one should follow in life

There's a lot more intelligent idiot's out there, than there's unintelligent idiots.

I know plenty of people who leave work with a suitcase or laptop full of problems, while I usually leave any trivial work problems at the gate until the next day when I can do a few simple tweaks.

Embrace your life op at least you're not one of the normies or a pleb like me lol

There's fun and adventure in being disobedient, a rebellious individual or going against the status quo. **** it, life's too short to be comparing oneself to the plebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Rejoice; in feeling stupid.

specially in this heat my goodness..

Earned? Past tense? Are you retired? Those are both good LC results AND salaries. I hope you are happy with your success because you've done well for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

LC has been a joke for many years

Loads of people work hard and end up with very little

Loads of people just swan along Homer Simpson style and end up with loads

The reality is, for the most part, it's luck (and also who you know, cause it's Ireland)... and that's probably one of the scariest/thickest thing of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah you know the old saying, judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... you're an idiot for trying to judge a fish for climbing a tree.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

*** Takes notes furiously*

Is this going to be on the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Advertisement

Got Low points in my leaving and now work in Pharma. Earning close to €60k. Worked offshore for awhile and built my experience up. its what you make if it. I wasn't academic in school and I knew it. Just needed that piece of paper as a stepping stone.

Advertisement