Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say nothing

Options
  • 07-07-2022 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Family gathering at weekend. Following it, three people tested positive for covid. The organiser of this gathering kept it all very hush hush and told nobody.

I know the fear factor is gone with covid and the rules are less strict. However, surely one deserves to be told if they were in close proximity people who have tested positive for covid?

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

meh

how do you know it was the get together or that the "organiser" kept it hush hush?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Close contacts no longer need to isolate and contact tracing is a thing of the past.

Covid is now another virus that's become part of life, if anyone is still paranoid about it their only real option to avoid it is to stay at home. I wouldn't think twice about it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's true for many people, but the elderly are still vunerable. It'll likely take you out of work for a week, so it's still a serious thing. I don't see the need for hush hush though, there's no stigma to getting Covid, but you should still isolate if you're testing positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

I'm just simply disappointed that I didn't get so much as a text. Not even taking myself into consideration but my partner works with very ill people daily and we're just both upset with how they've dealt with it.

Anyway it all passed off and nobody has gotten properly sick it seems. Just want people's opinions to see am I being dramatic about it all

Influenza kills people every year and can have you out of work for a week or longer too. Eventually the advice to get tested if you have Covid symptoms will be scrapped too. We need to live with it, not in fear of it. Get the booster if you're vulnerable, wear a mask if you want, but the days of frantically contacting everyone if someone tests positive are gone. There was enough hysteria in the last 2 years, time to move on.

• Advertisement

We all know Covid is still here, we all know numbers are high, we all know that there is a risk of infection in a group setting.

Even if you partner knew she was a close contact she would still be required to go to work so I don't really see the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Anyone who’s covid positive and isn’t keeping to themselves is a prick. Especially at this time of year.

Same goes for anyone bringing a chicken pox kid “out and about” while they’re infectious.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

Seriously, what is the problem? They don't do a covid test before you're admited to hospital for a procedure. Nobody is requested to take a covid test to enter this country. If you're triple vaccinated what are you afraid of? Most people aren't going to pay 50 euro to go to their GP for a sick note for work, especially those who don't get sick pay and would have to claim social welfare for the days they're off. I had covid and my husband didn't get it. Seriously people, move on already it was a huge global overreaction to shut the world down and anyone hoping for another lockdown is out of luck. It's a head cold now with possibly a cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

So what you're saying is, it's just the flu?

Imagine someone said that out loud two years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Even two years ago a flu was not something to be ignored by vulnerable people and that has not changed, another one was just added. Most families have a granny or a granddad who would be better off avoiding either of them. So allowing this to propagate in a family is not to be recommended. But of course with some people it's all about themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭I Blame Sheeple

Ah give it a rest, Jim. We're not all as serious as you with your big fancy lawyer career and all a that malark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Whats wrong with bringing chicken pox children out?

Its far safer to expose other children to chicken pox at that age, if they dont get it as a child theyre at much greater risk when they get old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Thank you doctor.

I suspect most parents of healthy children would strongly disagree, and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Yes, you're being dramatic.

Be the hero After Hours deserves, not the one it needs right now...

Come off it. People need to move on with life. The flu jab is available to everyone, many OAPs don't bother with it. I don't recall the elderly being advised to hide indoors, avoid all human contact and stay away from public transport because of the flu. For most people Covid was harmless, so harmless that many didn't even know they had it. So many lonely elderly people living alone went through so much fear and hardship and isolation for what? For nothing. People boasting about leaving their elderly widowed parents alone over Easter/Christmas as if they were doing them some sort of favour.

A huge amount of damage was done to elderly people with all the scaremongering and it's disgraceful. 2 years were spent filling people's heads with fear and dread and paranoia which was totally unnecessary. 24 hours a day, hour after hour on the news, story after story on the radio and in the newspapers constant adverts all ramping up the fear and then suddenly it ended and people were told to get on with their lives and many can't or won't move on. To this day I see people of all ages walking alone around my town wearing face masks. It's insane and immoral the way the whole farce was handled.

We had an apartheid system here when it came to hospitality, even this year people wanted anyone without a booster to be excluded from indoor hospitality. We've had the guts of 50,000 people arrive in the last 6 months most of them unvaccinated and none of them told to isolate. So give it a rest with the 'some people it's all about themselves'. Insanity calling for Paddy to isolate when non Irish can swan in regardless. Paddy is done now, anyone that feels at risk can stay home and lock themselves away, the rest of us will get on with living.

It’s would ruin a good chunk of the summer holidays. Last thing you’d want when you’ve got holiday “plans”.

Covid could ruin them too. Only a truly selfish person would, knowingly, pass either onto, unsuspecting, others.

There’s also a vaccine against chicken pox now so those “pox parties” of the 80’s are a thing of the past.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Why would it ruin someone's summer holidays unless they chose to stay inside? There's nothing stopping you from going outside and enjoying yourself be it with chickenpox or covid. You could be infectious with both and never know it too sure.

Chicken pox vaccines are only recommended if you have immunocompromised relatives, like parents undergoing chemo who you shouldnt put at risk. For all other situations let the children party

Only a truly selfish person would, knowingly, pass either onto, unsuspecting, others.

Learn to use commas! You type like William Shatner speaks!

That's all very noble, but how many employers will appreciate their staff taking days on end off because they have a communicable disease? How many employees can afford to take unpaid leave if their employer doesn't pay for sick leave?

Should be all stay at home every time we have a headcold? Chances are we'd be shedding the virus before we developed symptoms anyway. There's no need to live in fear unless you're immunocompromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I would imagine a lot of employers would appreciate their staff taking days off due to COVID. Look at the havok that outbreaks have caused in many sectors.

I don't want to work beside someone who has COVID. Why would anyone?

There are a lot of childish and irresponsible comments on this thread.

The post I responded to mentioned flu. The current advice is still to isolate for 7 days if you have Covid.

How many employers do you think will appreciate it when that's lifted?

• Advertisement

I don't think sending a few texts is a particularly big ask. Some at the gathering might have visited with elderly parents soon after. A simple text might have given them pause as to whether to visit or not.

Pretty obvious when someone is infectious with chicken pox. And, while many have no symptoms with covid others are, laid up, in bed for a few days.

I’d be, fairly, “ticked off” if one of my kids caught chicken pox, or covid, from someone who knew, full well, they were riddled with it.

They’re in summer camps and have a holiday booked. Lousy behaviour to be going around infecting people, ruining their plans, just because you didn’t want to miss a party.

And that’s just the “inconveniences”, would be far more dangerous to be, knowingly, infecting an old, or immunocompromised, person.

The tide is turning…

They don't. My husband worked through the whole thing. He couldn't socially distance in his old job and he was fine. Where he works now has changed their policy on Covid, they see it as any other illness. Lots of people have it all over the country, it's little more than a cold and tear and stay home and isolate away if you get to stay home on full company sick pay but a huge number of people can't do that because they don't get company sick pay.

A lot of people don't even know they have it. If I hadn't been in hospital, where I picked it up incidentally, I wouldn't have even done a covid test because it seemed like a cold. People need to let go of the paranoia. If you've a cold you don't stay off work because if you ring your employer saying you've a cold and you can't come in it's considered unacceptable.

I'm an immunocompromised person. I don't expect anybody to mask up around me or take extra precautions. I didn't and won't hide away in fear of Covid. I've had Covid, it was no big deal. My parents had the booster, their reactions to the boosters were worse than my Covid systems. My health is my own responsibility nobody else's. I haven't had a booster. I won't have a booster. I'm done with it.

Lie la lie, lie la lie la lie la lie Lie la lie, lie la lie la lie la lie, la la lie.

Jesus but I’ve had ‘The Boxer’ by Simon and Garfunkel stuck in my head.

The tide is turning…

It won't likely take you out of work for a week..

It'll maybe take an extreme minority out of work for a week.

Post edited by lawred2 on

I wouldn't. It happens routinely that kids catch chickenpox in communal settings. There's usually not a witch-hunt as a result.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When that is all you got you really got nothing at all. Even your assumptions about me are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You're expecting humans to not be selfish! Ahahahahahahahahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think the future looksas if its likely most people will get covid, if you get it isolate for 1 week, obviously people over 60 or people with preexisting conditions should be shielded and take extra precautions , at this point the vax rate 96 per cent

I'm not a medical expert just my opinion at this point there should be no stigma in getting it most people cannot stay at home or avoid being near strangers everyday

Many people have stopped wearing masks unless they are going to a place that requires one

I go to shops i put on mask i don't dine inside cafes I don't go to pubs I think everyone should get boosted why take a chance unless you get it you don't really know how bad it can be even if you have been vaccinatted

I think your reaction depends on your age your metabolism levels of vitamin d are you in generally good health not overweight immune system various factors

Advertisement