Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say nothing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭airy fairy

If a woman is at the early or late stages of pregnancy and is exposed to chicken pox, it can be fatal for the foetus if the mother has little or no immunity. Being tested for varicella virus immunity is part of the blood work done in pregnancy, so it's serious.

Hospitals do a covid test on admission.

Take for example, a cancer patient going for surgery to remove a tumour. If covid is contracted before or during admission for a major operation to remove said tumour, the recommendations are that surgery is not to be undertaken for 7 weeks after a positive result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭timmyntc

You said it yourself the mother is tested, and can be vaccinated if they do not have existing immunity. So its a non-issue.

As for spreading colds and flus etc, if we all collectively got really good at infection controls and did the right thing, people's immune systems would be worse off for it - plenty of studies show that catching infections improves your immune system, and can also be linked to better likelihood of not developing certain types of cancers. Remember that your immune system is not just for external threats but internal too, cancerous cells are routinely killed by your immune system, its those that arent caught that go on to develop into clinical diagnoses of cancer. Your immune system needs stimulation, living in a sterile world is not good for you.

Sure after covid lockdowns and the reduced social contact everyone had, when people started mixing again there were waves of "the worst cold ever" and other similar infections - the reason? because we had stopped being exposed to these things for a long time as a result of lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dorothylives

I had surgery a month ago, the bit about a Covid test pre admission was scribbled out as it's no longer done. I did have a Covid test for a procedure in a different hospital earlier in the year so it may be a recent change. I was swabbed for bacteria such as MRSA but that was it. Cancer patients are different, they have no immune system when they start chemo, even dental work has to be done before they start. My mother went through surgeries and chemo and she had lots of Covid tests and her temperature taken before she was even allowed into the building for treatment. But no, in my experience anyway, hospitals aren't testing elective surgery patients for Covid. Why would they? It's endemic in our hospitals at this stage.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people who were able to work from home want to continue working from home. But without Covid hysteria to back that up employers want them to get off the couch and back to the office and they ain't a bit happy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Knowledge is power. Lots of people need to be careful of coming into contact with various diseases and can make their own decision when they know the risk is there. Otherwise isolation is their only solution.

Many moons ago when my son was undergoing cancer treatment we were kept informed of every sneeze in his siblings playschool and school. It meant that they missed over three months in school while chicken pox made its way slowly around the classes. Vaccine for chicken pox wasn't readily available. Also every child in their classes availed of the newly introduced Measles vaccine which the local health board made available before the general roll out.

So please inform people if you are ill and let them react as it suits them.

If that juvenile comment was aimed at me it is just another example of what an obnoxious poster you are. I've had a compromised immune system for many years. I have treatment that makes me vulnerable to things, that's just life, I'm an adult and I make my own choices. I'm popping you onto ignore as you have nothing to contribute except insults and an opposite opinion to every topic. It must be sad to go through life needing so much confrontation to affirm yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Anybody saying covid is just like the flu is an idiot. Long covid is real. The flu doesn't do that and you don't have to have some immunity problem to get long covid.

The mother can be tested yes, and if immunity has run out there is only a certain time frame in which the varicella vaccine can be given, and not as simple as an injection when pregnant. If a mother is already pregnant before testing for immunity and happens to come in contact with a child with Cp, as aleady stated, it can be fatal or have serious complications to the foetus.

Letting a someone out and about in public crowded areas with chicken pox is thoughtless and unkind. To everyone. And it can be a fairly nasty experience, spots aside.

My partner was operated on this week, cancer. Was swabbed twice before the procedure. Covid is still a huge risk to vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

People are saying it's a virus like anything else so just get on with it. NO. If I can avoid a cold/flu/covid actively I will. The responsibility to stay away from people when carrying an infectious disease is still a responsibility to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And you are free to take that responsibility as seriously as you like.

But you can't expect everyone else to do that for you.

So I presume if you've ever had a hacking cough, snotty nose and sore throat you would just see fit to keep coughing, snorting and spreading whatever you had. Right so.

No one suggests people start isolating again, but a little cop on and consideration to others so they don't catch each others virus' should always be good decent practice, not blatant disregard for others to spread whatever the illness is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've had all that and pre Covid was expected to go to work. Taking sick leave was only intended for times when you're so unwell you're physically unable to work.

Do people genuinely think all hospitals, Garda stations, schools, shops and businesses should shut down because there's a cold doing the rounds and too many staff are keeping their germs to themselves to the point they can't function?

Most certainly a medical person is asked not to attend work during blatent sickness, teachers and school children have always been asked not to attend schools ever before covid. Creches always sent sick children home. You're living in a dream world where you think people didn't tolerate sickness pre covid!!!

I suppose I have empathy for people and recognise people's health struggles. Laugh all you like.

It's got nothing to do with empathy. Find one pre Covid example of a hospital or school that closed down because staff were sent home with a cold. Not even an entire one, but one where whole year groups were sent home from school and parents had to leave work en masse to collect their children, and wards closed and patients discharged.

In an ideal world everyone could stay at home if they're sick with a cold, but that has never been the reality. Covid won't change that.

Eh, the discussion was about a family gathering, not shutting down a school. My response was to the op post. I don't know why you've jumped to a whole other discussion which is silly. Maybe take a Xanax and chill!

I bid you good day.

You're the one who claimed workers were always sent home. Bid me good day all you want, but you can't back up your BS.

If you take a Xanax and chill, then go back and read the OP you'll find that the positive tests came after the family gathering. Chances are they were asymptomatic at the time.

The current protocol is not to contact close contacts, and anyone who is genuinely worried about Covid should avoid gatherings. Covid is here, the current wave is predicted to peak next week, so if you or someone in your family is vulnerable you would avoid group situations. No point complaining when you realise someone you spent time with later tested positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

The point is, not notified of positive test. Some people don't feel too ill, others feel dreadful, some need to be hospitalised. Others have long covid issues- tat may not have been too ill with actual infectious covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭raxy

Anti mask brigade out in force in this thread!

Yeah covid isn't a major deal for most anymore but common courtesy still applies. They should just let you know.

Our childminder told us an entire family of another child she is minding tested positive, no issue for us but we didn't take our kids to my parents that w/e as planned as my father isn't in the best health!

I'm immunocompromised as well but not concerned for myself.

I think they should have texted so other attendees could test.

Though people like to pretend it's not, covid is still a threat of serious illness or even death (37 this week) to the elderly or immuno-compromised.

The current HSE ad "You Never Know" is trying to highlight this.

If you don't want to wear a mask.... don't. You don't have to. But don't go into shops or into work, while you have covid, even if you are asymptomatic.

I am a diabetic, and have respiratory illness, if I found out a co-worker came into work knowing they had tested positive for covid, and "said nothing" it would be very unfair. Sick pay or not doesn't give anyone the right to put anyone else's health at risk (and before anyone says it, that extends to the flu as well).

I had my second booster yesterday, and still mask in shops, and I don't care who thinks I'm crazy or looks at me askew for doing so. I have people depending on me to earn a living too.

Is Long Covid real though? There's a growing school of thought that it's a mixture of malingering and hypochondria.

If masks work and you are wearing a mask, then why should anyone else in the shop wear a mask? Seriously, it's going to be in the 20's next week and there's no way in hell I'm going to swelter with a mask over my face. I honestly don't believe they work, if they did there wouldn't have been rampant covid with huge numbers of people catching it.

I sympathise with your vulnerability, I'm vulnerable myself. The time has passed for expecting everyone else to protect you though. If vulnerable people are boosted and wearing masks then they're either going to have to get used to other people living their lives as normal or hide away indoors.

So, you criticise people for not wanting to wear masks any more and admit that it's not a big deal for most people anymore yet your tone implies that people not willing to wear a mask are somehow doing something wrong. Courtesy works both ways. Again, I'll say this, if vulnerable people have boosters and are wearing masks then why, other than pandering to neurosis, should the rest of the country wear masks?

Where did I ask anyone else to wear a mask?

I'll quote what I said:

If you don't want to wear a mask.... don't. You don't have to. But don't go into shops or into work, while you have covid, even if you are asymptomatic.

I think I was pretty clear what I was asking was for them to not go to shops or into work then they know they are sick.

No need to wear a mask if you're in your own home.

(ETA) Going into work when you're sick, is not "living your life as normal". If you're sick, you should be at home. That applied long before Covid ever happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

indeed, it seems some of the hysteria and pearl clutching is still about.

I'm sorry to hear that your partner has cancer and I hope that the surgeons got all of it out during the surgery. I wasn't swabbed and on the standard hospital admissions list the part at the top of the letter regarding Covid testing was scribbled out as they no longer do it for elective surgeries. Obviously cancer is different. I hope your partner makes a swift recovery, it's very difficult watching someone you love having to fight cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

If you get covid deal with it otherwise mind your own business ,

My family are getting on with life if someone feels a bit sick we don't even test why would we ????

If someone is in a jocker we stay at home until they feel better ,

Everyone in my family had it a least once during the testing/ restriction phase & strangely all at different times , Makes no sense as we didn't isolate from each other at all as some of the kids are too young, to keep locked up in a room , Surely we all should have had it at the same time ? ?

Like myself & the wife share a bed , at least one of the little ones does be in the bed every night ,

I'm not a covid denier or a conspiracy nut its a very real thing but obviously its not fully understood ,How can you explain a family in close contact all the time but yet we get it 1 person at a time months apart,

Advertisement