Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think there will ever come a time when Humans stop killing animals and eating them for food?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It'll forever be beyond me why people waste time posting silly nonsense like this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I'm too lazy to try to find any alleged inaccuracies by David Attenborough. If you could quote just one, from the list you have , it would be very enlightening for me, and I'm always willing to be enlightened.

In the unlikely event of a total collapse, I've always said one's first recourse should be to weaponry, and the skills required to use it. No good growing your own lentils when Crazy 8 comes in with a machete and whips the whole lot. But you're right about survivability at an individual level. How many of us have the means locally to provide for our families? A windowbox full of avocados won't last long, And where would one get the flour to make the bread to make the toast for said avocados. I'm being flippant, but the same problem arises whatever the staple.

As for eating each other, can't see it myself, other than perhaps a few psychos. They're here already, but they're just not hungry. I don't think real life will be like The Road (apart from the very end of it). Most people realise that long term, the only way to survive is through cooperation.

I think my pipe dream is nicer than yours, and the more likely. With added unicorns, now that we're no longer going to eat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There will always be human that will eat meat. Just on the fact there are remote tribes still in existence. There will remain to be poor people and poor countries. You would think in modern times we live in there would be nobody going into the jungle and killing anything they see and selling it as meat. They are still about. Fishing isn't going to stop either.

The developed world could move away from farmed animals to other proteins man made but that relies on a hope of some new energy source. More predictions indicate water will be an issue first and that is officially a commodity already with ships already being perfected to carry water around the world. Lots of people suggest we will actually start eating insects before then.

There is a episode in Star Trek NG where Troy is put off by real meat on the bone.

You just need to accept not everybody thinks the way you do. You should be fine with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Something I learned recently, cats can't survive without eating meat. They have to eat meat or they will die. That is why all cat food on the supermarket shelves contain meat. Dog food doesn't necessarily and that is why you can't feed a cat supermarket Dog food. Dog food is much cheaper than cat food for the obvious reason that anything that contains meat is more costly to produce.

Humans are often too idealistic, but there is a reality that can't be wished away.

We are not like cat's. We can eat veg and meat. But we need to eat both. That is the way we have evolved. There's nothing we can do to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, Burgerking won't help me convert to vegetarian. Texas Bacon Lover Double burger. And you can TBL the fries too...

There's a triple for the brave, and a chicken version for the poultry types. I'm going for another one. Say what you want about BK, but they're the best fast food chain burgers. Supermacs gave them a run initially with their 5/7.5oz burgers, but they're now flat as a McDonalds patty.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SpudsandGuinness

Humans too stop eating meat well this is never going to happen it's like trying to fit a square into a circle it just won't happen. I rear my own meat well a good bulk of it anyway and when it was time for numb numbs the piggy to go the the CHOP house I'm sure numbs numbs didn't mind. He had a happy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I think when lab grown meat comes to prominence humans will stop, but only when it is impossible to tell the difference between the 2.

I am one of those slightly guilty meat eaters. I can’t help but I try not to.

The main issue with eating meat isn’t the fact that you’re eating another animal. It’s the life they live before that is what is very troubling, at least for many animals. It’s now also the clear and obvious damage it’s doing to ecosystems and to the climate.

I have been keeping track of lab grown meat progress. I am not entirely convinced it’ll be the default choice in any of our lifetimes (unless maybe you’re under 20 reading this).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You need to accept that incoherent hysterical strawmen add nothing to the thread.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have tried vegan and vegetarian food and it is rubbish. Nothing like a good steak for me but I also like roast beef, lamb and chicken and a breakfast of sausage, bacon and eggs. Man has moved on from eating berries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was reading recently that this is a hangover from colonial rule as the Brits put a huge tax on meat and people couldn’t afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve few feelings on this.

humans are omnivores, it’s a scientific fact that can’t be denied. It’s our natural state to eat a wide variety of foods including animal produce. People who don’t have the emotional strength to be humans in times gone bye would have died of hunger.

we need to stop enforcing our beliefs and weaknesses into others. If you don’t want to eat animal products, fine, don’t and then shut up about it. Leave the rest of us alone. But this constant whinging and petitioning to ban animal farming and slaughter is a form of fascism where they want to force their beliefs onto everyone and people who don’t fall into line are abused and demeaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭yagan

I'd love to see a link for that.

Industrialised meat production would have us believe that it was always abundant, whereas in history it really wasn't. Humans progressed by moving from hunter gatherer to harvesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If anything we'll see humans eating more and more animals in the coming years, as climate change kicks in properly and wars are kicking off everywhere and causing food shortages. Hopefully we wont have to resort to eating common pigeons in Ireland any time soon.

It seems lab grown meat could become more and more advanced in the coming years and that could definitely sway people towards eating less meat.

As bad as India is, at least it has some nature and wilderness and majestic wild animals, Ireland doesn't really have anything and our rivers are becoming more and more polluted.

You constantly whinge about vegetarians on this site though, I don't know how many times I've seen you spouting on about vegans being "weak" and having mental problems. Doesn't come across very well to speak of people like that because of dietary choices. The insecurity of farmers like you when it comes to all things vegan is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I used to love eating in Burger King and SuperMacs but can't now being Coeliac. I agree do the Superman's 5oz and 7.5oz Burgers were lovely untill they ruined them. I do not miss either fast food chain now to tell you the truth. I make my own delicious burgers at home when I want one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Remind me of when Ireland had elephants and tigers again?

I've yet to see an Irish river with half burnt human body parts floating in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ah come on now we have a couple of places at least like Fota wildlife park in Cork and the dear in the Phoenix park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Of course Humans aren't natural carnivore's...if they were they would be perfectly happy to eat it raw.Like they are with fruits and vegetable dishes like salads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭patnor1011

When?

Quite long after I die since we taught kids to love good food. They particularly love barbecue. Even when they were small and we cooked something without meat they were digging in that food few minutes only to turn at me with "where is the chicken"?

One hopes posters will realise this isn't some enlightened corner in reddit where all of man's problems are solved by pipe smoking hippies, but After Hours - the place where fun now goes to die.

Same - slightly guilty. I'll often find myself eating everything on the plate and eat the meat as an almost after thought... then realise how nice it was. Ultimately I would like to not eat meat. But, I'm too much like Augustine, 'Oh Master, make me a non meat eater... but not yet'.

I'm okay with vegetarians... vegans, nah... it's all about them, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I ordered a beef tartare while on holiday in France one time not realising it was going to be raw mince. I felt like some t*t when it arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's a bit of a blanket statement. I love meat. Until I was in my 30's I didn't eat anything except meat and potatos/rice/pasta. Zero vegetables. And then I became vegetarian for 5 years. When I did I went after a lot of the meat substitutes. And yes, a lot are terrible. Some are nice but taste nothing like meat and some are pretty good. Even now, when I'm not a vegetarian, I still use vegetarian mince in spag bol etc. I can't tell the difference. Plus it's cheaper, easier to store and healthier.

I like soy or oat milk in store bought coffees. I don't think I could use it in cereal. And I hate vegetarian stuff like veggie burgers that are just filled with lentils and stuff.

My point is that there's some good stuff out there.

I believe Ireland has some of the least forested land in europe. Something like a fraction of a percent. We have loads of desolate areas that are used for sheep grazing. And the sheep just keep everything down so there isn't a chance for anything to grow. And commercially the land can't really be used for much else. Can you imagine if we rewilded large chunks of the west?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭yagan

I've fooled people many times with a quern chili. I've told visitors from the US that the quern bites were chicken nuggets and obviously they've so unused to real chicken that they thought they were the tastiest chicken nuggets they'd ever had.

Industrial food production and marketing could have us all vegetarians by stealth!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Everlong1

I've experimented with some veggie burgers. I found the Linda McCartney ones decent enough and M&S do a range of veggie stuff that has some nice burgers although very expensive. I love sausages though and have yet to find a veggie sausage that didn't taste like cardboard.

• Advertisement

The Denny veggie sausages and burgers are really good

Advertisement