Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think there will ever come a time when Humans stop killing animals and eating them for food?

Options
  • 08-07-2022 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I would like to think that sometime in the future maybe 100 years maybe 300 years or 500 years in the future that humans will no longer kill any animals for fun or for food and that we will have respect for all life in the Universe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Do you think there will ever come a time when Humans stop killing plants and eating them for food?

I would like to think that sometime in the future maybe 100 years maybe 300 years or 500 years in the future that humans will no longer kill any plants for fun or for food and that we will have respect for all life in the Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭yagan

There are many states in India where the majority are vegetarian.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why is it disrespectful?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,597 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I reckon it's inevitable that lab grown meat will eventually take the place of animal meat at some point in humanity's future and people will look back at this time period and brand us barbarians for eating animals.

I'm not a veggie by the way, but it seems like a logical progression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

People are afraid of GM food. There is going to have to be a massive change of culture to accept lab grown meat, especially when we already have massive issues with our current manufactured food, see the baby formula issues in several countries over the last few years , and massive corporation's control of it.

Excellent. Make species dependent on us extinct.

I'm wholly unafraid of GM food. And, as I have no particular wish to be immortal, I'm quite happy to eat sub-optimal grub just as long as it's tasty and won't give me a lingering death. Although I do draw the line at eating live locusts or crickets, but they're grand when roasted!

Master of the Universe

I'm talking about humanity in the potentially distant future though, so not really reliant on fears or the culture of today.

Not a bean when it will be (could be 500 years away!) I just reckon it's inevitable at some point as we already have lab grown meat.

The reasons for such? Who knows? maybe to help alleviate global hunger problems when the worlds population hits many times what it is now? Maybe out of some religious cause which takes over in the year 2500?

Master of the Universe

Yes, that's exactly what I am pushing for, the extinction of cows, pigs and poultry - well done, you got me. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The issue with GM food is not necessarily that it affect you directly. It might however harm the environment in other ways. For example, by allowing that plant to out-compete and displace "natural" plants.

The issue with GM food is that you might have a plant and make it resistant to something (either something that might eat it, or a chemical that might control it). That trait could also potentially cross over into other plants. Then you have a plant that is difficult to control and it can push out native plants. Which means that the creatures that survive on those native plants will die off.

I don't know whether you are aware of things such as, for example, the issue with Japanese knotweed. Not a GM issue but an issue where a plant which is not native to this part of the world was imported, and we have no natural fauna which eats it. It can cause very serious damage to houses or other structures. And it is very very difficult to eradicate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

We'll eventually end up 3d printing our food so I can see a time when it's less likely we'll eat animals. Will it every fully stop, no, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maye, when they stop tasting so goods!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Maybe after humans stop killing humans.

as to other food, GM is the only way the world can feed 7+ billion people who are current consuming 3.5 times the earths resources every year. More of us = less to go around and we need to all get used to that.

Lab grown stuff is far more likely to be "sub-optimal" because when you are manufacturing food you find shortcuts, ways to make it cheaper by adding mystery ingredients that can do harm but sure its cheaper.

As lab grown foods will likely be too complex for the lay person, it will be almost totally controlled by corporations whose chief interests will always be profit.

There will always be poverty. Those who starve don’t really think about the universe

Not only am I aware of knotweed, I have reported some of it to my local Council as there a big clump of it growing down the road and I want it exterminated!

I have also eaten it (in an organic neighbour's house) - it was mixed with rhubarb and tasted fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We no longer have apex predators in many environments and what about domesticated animals that no longer have a wild equivalent or the environment to support them. What happens when animal husbandry is no longer profitable?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

“We shall escape the absurdity of growing a whole chicken in order to eat the breast or wing, by growing these parts separately under a suitable medium.”

-Winston Churchill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I think the planet is doomed, as the population doubles every 40 years, how on earth, no pun intended, will we feed 16 billion in 40 years.

The population has always grown as much as possible - before the industrial revolution we were saying similar stuff - "how will we feed even more people? The planet is overpopulated!". If the population grows too large, there are famines or wars and then enough people die off for it all to be sustainable again.

The industrial revolution and advances in agriculture meant the previous bottleneck on human population was removed and so we shot up, but soon we'll hit that limit again. Its inevitable that we will hit that point where there just isnt enough food to keep feeding everyone. Not everyone will die off though - only those without secure source of food - which I guess is everyone dependent on lab grown meat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Yes there will come a day in the not too distant future when Humans won't be eating Animals or killing them for fun.

Because there won't be any Humans, Karma is catching up with the greedy depraved fcuks.The process is already underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I've been thinking about this recently. The other night I watched a David Attenborough program, in which he said that the amount of land required to grow enough plants to sustain us, is far less than the amount of land required to feed us meat. I think it was around 20%, but it could have been 50% (someone spoke in the room just as he said it). Then he showed a beef farm that was rewilded, they just planted a few of the original species of plants, and left the place to its own devices. Animals not seen for years were suddenly popping up in this new forest, not re-introduced, they just made their way back over time. It was amazing. If I was told tomorrow we're getting rid of meat and these are the benefits that will accrue, I'd be all for it. I've recently made a couple of meals in which I replaced meat with lentils/beans and they were fine.

In fact, just this morning I bought two packets of veggie sausages, to be served to some veggie visitors tomorrow. TWO PACKETS!! says MrsN, yep, we're going to try them as well. As in 'the Royal WE'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’m glad I’ll be long gone from this earth by the time we can no longer have a thick juicy medium rare rib-eye accompanied only by a bottle of wine!!!

In fact, this thread is bringing out my inner Ron Swanson!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I'm sure they are delighted to be squashed in barns by the billions and among the most populous species of mammals and birds on the entire earth and bred their entire joyless life all to become one human dinner, all in the name of keeping these select few species 'alive' of course . Of all the arguments in favour this is thw weakest and weirdest tbh. If and when a viable synthetic meat replacement is created of course the practice should become redundant and if you are really that worried about the extinction of the species I'm sure we can keep a few chickens and cows in our local zoos for children in year 2150 to gawk at in awe

'Extinction' has negative impacts because all wild animals are part of food chains and their removal causes disfunction to that evolved chain. Cows and chickens etc are removed from that, they do nothing for the world but feed us and damage the natural environment. Their effective 'extinction' would be good for the world no matter what you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Of course not, the taste of meat is too addictive and tasty. You don't win friends with salad.

• Advertisement

How do you know its joyless. No predators, they get sick...there's a vet around, nice shelter during the winter, bit of a roide on occasions...

Advertisement