Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somebody in my apartment block is stealing my post. Should I notify the guards?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well that's very shoddy, i wouldn't accept that...have a word with your local postie OP tell them what's going on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That's the way it should happen alright.

At my office address, I once had a package worth €1000 left in a re-cycle bin in our front yard - the An Post non delivery docket pushed through the letterbox told us where it was. Luckily, the bin wasn't due to be collected until the next day, but for all the postman knew, it could have been tipped into the truck between the time he left it, and when the office opened.

Another time, an An Post non delivery note was left sticking out of a wall mounted ash try in our open backyard car park, saying a package for us was left with a nearby business. When I went to collect it, it wasn't even addressed to us. There was also no need to leave it anywhere as the office was occupied particularly early that day and the delivery could have been completed directly (postman would have then been made aware that it was not for us).

I reported both events to the local sorting office and like myself, they were baffled .... but it hasn't happened since. Non deliveries are now always returned to the sorting office with a note posted in our letterbox to advise when we can collect then. The OP should contact the sorting office and insist that non deliverable items are returned to the office for later customer collection.

If it is courier deliveries involved, then I have no idea what you could do, except maybe designate a specific nearby hedge that they could lash it in to. Courier deliveries don't seem to have any obligation to make sure that packages actually get to the addressed person. They are the Ryanair of parcel logistics..... dropping them off somewhere in the general location of the addressed building is close enough - no need alert the addressee that their parcel has arrived, they will trip over it whenever they go outside. I have seen couriers leave parcels on doorsteps, in bins and in bushes, without even attempting to knock on the door and hand the parcel over.

In the case posted, the Gardai will have very little interest, or ability to take action. Setting up hidden cameras in lobby space may not be legal and I doubt you would be able to use any footage gathered as evidence ... without putting signs up to say they are there and registering yourself as a data controller and observing the associated privacy requirements.

Could be Gypsy kids #putting their hands into your PO Box OP

#if it's like where I used to live - every apt had a small locker type PO Box in foyer/lobby,, often saw the blighters with their paws going down the slot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's one of the people who lives there, post is delivered around 9am , maybe 9.30pm. Apartments have locked front doors, there's not random people going to the mailbox. All the apartments I see have auto lock doors, you close the door it's locked. You can see videos on YouTube of delivery workers literally throwing box's at a front door, or leaving them them in. A bin, if they get no answer, eg American delivery guys, I don't think any post office workers here are robbing parcels. That's bullshit.

That person is checking the hall everyday to see if there's anything he can steal. Probably a male. I think some weirdos, think anyone who talks to a garda is a rat , eg you deal with your own problems, or maybe he thinks he's living in the 80s.ands he's a big love, hate fan.

Either try and catch the thief or else set up new delivery options.

There's not random people walking around the mailbox around 9am

@JackieChang Let us know how you get on with this. Should be easy enough to catch them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

When you do find the culprits, blast them with piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭anglesorangles

Its handier than having to go to the post office. My apt block is the same , fortunately no thieves tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Really ? You need it explained ? Your comment "Don't be ratting on thieves" . . . . . . . and you don't think that's stupid advice ? Off you go to the Gangland thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It really isn't and I say that as a Director of an OMC.

Should be reported to the Guards certainly, its theft and a violation of the Postal Services Act, 2011.

I do admire your restraint OP, you mention that having lost three valuable packages its merely "getting annoying". I'd have entrapped the C and beaten 40 shades out of them by now, but then I do have a shocking temper.

Get evidence, give to Guards, don't take law into own hands, it will get me in trouble some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Allinall

Stupid advice to report a crime?

Think you need to have a look at yourself if that’s what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

@Larbre34 you don't believe security falls under the remit of a property management company?

You might explain why?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a shared responsibility of the resident and the OMC for sure to take reasonable measures to protect life and property, but there is no legal obligation on the OMC to guarantee against crime or somehow underwrite loss as a result of it, especially if the perpetrator is living within the development and so has access to keys, security access codes, common areas etc.

Your home and property is insured by the occupier taking out a policy, not by the OMC and that tells you all you need to know.

When it comes to criminal matters, or even simple property damage, my Agent hands over any evidence we do have to the Guards, on the OK of the Directors. After that, its between the Guards and the complainant to resolve.

No 1 an post should not be leaving packages in a common area, i presume your block has secure door locks. You could probably catch em if you used an old phone, hide it behind bin, fire extenguisher, light fixture, turn on video record, wait and see does someone take the fake package with your name on it. Fill it full of cans heavy items, to slow em down.

Once you know who it it is make a formal report to the Gardai, his home is problem full of stolen laptops, phones etc most robbers are fairly stupid

The problem is the Gardaí will probably ask you to fill out a standard form unless you have Proof Joe bloggs took my post package, here's video evidence.

Say leave phone on record from 9am til 9,40 am , take phone away after postman calls

The potential 'evidence' that such a sting operation would produce would almost certainly not be admissible legally and may get you in trouble over privacy and data control issues. What about all the other people that you might catch on film going about their business? They have a defined and protected right to privacy. The management company of the premises could not allow a tenant to record and store video footage from common areas in their building.

Seriously, the simple and direct solution to this problem is with An Post .... they should be told not to leave behind any items that can not be delivered securely and arrange for collection at the sorting office. That is literally what the system was set up for. In fact, them leaving post in an open access situation may be in breech of their own postal security policy, in the first place. As with my previous examples of issues with deliveries, I think delivery standards have slipped for An Post in recent years ... maybe caused by the race to the bottom competition of independent couriers.

No need for Sherlock Holmes, Magnum PI, or The Enforcer tactics in this case, just tell the post office to stop throwing the mail about the place if it can not fit in the designated box. Personally, I would call to the local sorting office, have a word with them and hand over a letter documenting my request and asking for a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,078 ✭✭✭✭looksee

'Its people under 30 (😏), its the postman, its gypsies. Absolutely no evidence for any of these slurs, why make stupid, sweeping statements that have no basis? And having made the accusation, so what? How much further forward has it got anyone?

This doesnt really solve the problem. It is handy to get parcels in the communal area in a apartment complex and theres no valid reason why everybody shouldnt be able to, I have for years. Id put up a sign saying the gardai have been notified and send yourself a package and see what happens. Your solution will inconvenience all the apartments in the block.

With respect, you are arguing for a different problem. I was advising against some suggestions offered here about people taking the law into their own hands and setting up illegal monitor and surveillance operations. For an individual solution, like the OP requested, they should make their own individual and specific request at the post office. What anyone else does or doesn't do and what risks they want to take in having their post left unsecured, is up to them.

The valid reason why everybody in a block can not absolutely rely on their packages not being lifted, is that there are some people around who will lift them, if they see an opportunity. Maybe it is handy to have packages left waiting unsecured in the communal area, but it is also undeniably risky. Your suggestion of putting up a sign and 'see what happens' has no certain outcome. Telling the post office to hold onto your packages until they can be collected, has a certain conclusion.

Bottom line is ... post left unsecured in a common area has a risk of being stolen. Maybe it's a handy arrangement and the risk is generally acceptable, in the OP case it seems not to be.

Its been NOT risky for years in any apt blocks ive lived in. Just because your idea had a certain conclusion in no way makes it better idea. The conclusion is one of inconvenience for everyone going going forward.

Post edited by anglesorangles on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

Send a flyer around to the apartments that use the common area where the post boxes are. Say you've been having trouble with packages going missing and you'd like to set up a hidden camera to catch the culprit. Include a burner email address where you can be contacted if anybody objects.

If nobody objects set up a little camera, easy enough to do.

Even if there is an objection and you don't set up a camera, the thief will be worried there's a chance they'll be recorded in the act so they are much less likely to be tempted.

Apartments should at least have a camera pointed at the front door to monitor people trying to get in illegally,

In my experience most crime is done by males under 30. You don't need to ask permission to set up a camera, and it's pointless to tell the person who is robbing your stuff by the way is it OK if I set up a camera. You could use an old android phone.

I'd never buy anything online if the items are just going to be left in the common area by posties or DHL. It's very likely that it's one of the 10 people who live there, it's probably not a 60 year old female resident.

One example when was the last time you saw a female trying to Rob a bike.

It's always young men who do it.you only need to leave the phone on video record for maybe 20 minutes pointed at the fake package

What you are looking for is a video of someone taking a package with your name on it,

It's very unlikely an innocent neighbour would randomly take a package that has your name on it

Post edited by riclad on

"Apartments should at least have a camera pointed at the front door to monitor people trying to get in illegally, so 80 per cent of crime is done by makes under 30."

The word 'so' doesn't mean what you think it means.

And quotation marks don't mean what you think they mean either.

Riclad's post was edited after my comment. My quotation marks are spot on, thanks.

Apologies, I was caught by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I think the best way is to as others have suggested, leave a box with some ould crap you want rid of, addressed to you on the post boxes and put a note in it telling them that you know they have been stealing your mail and they have one week to leave everything they have stolen outside your apartment door or you will be contacting the Gardai, the management company and their landlord.

Then get a ring doorbell for your own front door (or borrow someone's) and when they return your stuff (hopefully) you will know who the culprit is for sure.

The threat of letting their landlord know might worry them that they will be evicted too, a real stress in today's Ireland.

I had a similar issue when I was living in Kuala Lumpur. A massive apartment block and I didn't have the key to my mailbox so it was left unlocked. Family sent me birthday cards but I never got them. Then other letters I was expecting and copies of the magazine I write for didn't show up. So I wrote the thief an angry letter, adding in stuff about if they were a Muslim how haram this theft was etc and mailed it to myself.

I checked the mailbox a few days later and there was a letter. I eagerly opened it up to realise it was the one I had sent myself. I hadn't recognised my own handwriting coz to make the address extra clear I had printed it instead of using my usual cursive handwriting.

Yes, I am a gobshite.

I never got to the bottom of my missing mail either.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just part of their schtick of being the criminals friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Any update OP??

• Advertisement
Advertisement