Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somebody in my apartment block is stealing my post. Should I notify the guards?

Options
  • 07-07-2022 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Has this happened to anybody else? What did ye do?

Very annoying. Stolen so far:

1 pair of raybans gone.

One expensive college textbook.

Package of nail varnish from Amazon.

The postman leaves it on top of the communal mailbox in the hall if it doesn't fit in my letterbox (not accessible to the public so one of my neighbors is stealing them)

There's only about 10 apartments in the block.

This is getting annoying now.

Don't even know what the guy/girl will do with my college text book so it's probably in the bin already.

Should I start notifying the guards? Or would they laugh me out of the station? I'm only friendly with 3 of the neighbors and they don't seem like the stealing type.

I'd like to leave a printout up at the mail box and say the guards have been notified.

Comments

You could set them up. Put together a package with your details on it and then set one of those tiny discreet cameras up in the hallway area, if possible. Then you'll see who's been stealing your stuff and also have proof for the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Or take a lead from another thread on here, put an air tag in a package and see where it goes.

(Disclaimer, I never even heard of air tags before that thread, so not entirely sure how they work)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Mail yourself a parcel with Novichok.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Send yourself a TILE (key ring fob finder) then you can use your phone to find it.

Also, do notify the post office and Guards - it a criminal offence to interfere with An Post and post in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

You can't get the guards out when your house gets robbed.

They're not coming for your post box.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

a massive glitter bomb package with an air tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Glitter bomb was my first thought. Or bump it up a notch and use faeces instead of glitter. A shitter bomb. 😂💩🎁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a communal mailbox?

as in one big mailbox that everyone has a key to? 😶

• Registered Users Posts: 14,689 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Play the long game on it OP.

Firstly as said earlier, set em up by sending yourself a letter but have a camera hidden somewhere so you can see who's knicking yer post.

Once established, begin sending yourself progressively more and more threatening letters, and let em take them. You know the ones like " I know what you did" using letters cut out of a newspaper or whatever. Go whole hog on it "I have your secret son/daughter/goldfish here, you have 10 days to hand over 10,000 quid or elss i hand them over to the Russian". Randomly meet them in hall, be sure to be upset. Ask them for a loan here n there.

See can you hit a nerve on their moral compass at all.

If not, move out without telling anyone (as in other tenents) or leaving a forward address. Put the shyts up them. They may run to the police and declare you missing.

And how they did know you were being harassed? Because they stole your mail.

Boom.

Cuff em boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,822 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You might as well tell Joe Duffy as the Gardai, at least he’ll give you more of an ear…

Have you tried speaking to the management company regarding CCTV ? With the technology now it’s far less expensive then it was… they’d have an element of responsibility in this. A one off investment of a couple of grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Yes you should. It's a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

Is there a property management company? Their responsibility if there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Whatever it's called. A cabinet with separate mailboxes with their own separate keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's odd that the postman leaves items on top of the box if they won't fit inside. I live in an apartment complex and the postman always leaves a delivery docket notifying that the package /parcel can be collected at the local sorting office because the sorters know in advance that it won't fit in the box. The boxes are all the same size, which is post office standard. Postpersons carry keys to both enter the building and unlock the boxes. You need to contact your local sorting office about this problem. It's not the management company's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

For all the US get wrong interfering and tampering with another persons mail is a federal crime and will get you jail time. Over here you'll likely have nothing done. Set up a camera and the Gardai will probably tell you they can't look at footage cos GDPR........

Maybe get it sent to your work address or a family member if possible.

I recently bought something online. Said I wouldn't be available to accept delivery so an option was to have it be left at a neighbours. Came home and it was sitting on the front step. Then got an email from the couriers saying it was delivered and signed for. By me. Bi-location is a handy skill. And they even spelt my name wrong in the email saying who it was signed by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If items don't fit in the mail box they should not be left in a common area, you could put a tracker device and then find out where they live. Should not be hard only 10 people living there. Is there no cameras in the building common areas. Or just get online deliverys sent to your family , friend who live in a house

There's apple airtag or android trackers. You Could get an old android phone paint it black or white leave it on video record, then get up at 7. 45 am put box with oldbooks, glass, cans in it, seal it, place it on ground, near mail box, see who takes it , maybe you could put phone camera in range where it can't be seen by someone who is just looking for mail to Rob. They are probably robbing any packages not just yours.

Put label with your name on it in large letters

Walk by every 10 minutes to see who's near the mail box

Fill it with anything heavy, so it can't be moved easily in seconds there's probably videos YouTube how to make a loud exploding paint box to catch porch robbers it sprays paint when it moves

Where I live postman always come around 8.40 to 9.20

Or maybe ask management company to install camera pointing at the mail box

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe theres a device that would make a very loud noise 3 minutes after the box is moved, it's very like young person under 30 who is doing this .

so someone is picking your lock? or has a key that matches your lock?

if you're 100% certain its someone up to no good then you need to contact the landlord or property management

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, someone is picking up parcels from the top of the cabinet.

OP, report it to the police even if nothing is done the report will be there. Put up a big sign saying 'please do not leave deliveries outside the mailbox as they are being stolen'.

from the top of a cabinet?? well that's got to be a Courier other than a regular Postman, a Postman will always leave a note saying collect at local P.O.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Do I have deja vu or was there a similar thread posted about the same topic? 🤔

a Postman will always leave a note saying collect at local P.O.

Or it could be a new postman or a careless postman who finds it easier to just abandon the parcel rather than make out a slip for it. There is no way of knowing whether it is a courier or a resident or anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nope, in my complex, the postal delivery people sometimes leaves parcels on top of the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

don't be ratting on people to the garda sort it out yourself

How is objecting to having your stuff stolen 'ratting'. That's what the gardai are there for, to sort stuff, saves people having to be vigilantes. I do agree that ensuring stuff is not left on the cabinet is the most pragmatic solution, but the business of 'not ratting' is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Allinall

Don’t be ratting on thieves?

What sort of parallel world do you live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Two options here. Undertake a sting operation and find the culprit or say it to the post person not to leave post anymore and you'll collect it from the depot/set up a parcel motel account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Could be anyone, could be the postman for all you know as I had a few items disappear from local post office till I figured out why they always recommended to not use a tracking code

If you don’t have a post box big enough for the items then get a service like parcel motel. Sorry but the Gardai will not be able to help in this situation as it could be a single person or just random people grabbing stuff as they walk past,

Advertisement