Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fell out with fellow housemates, need advice.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stalk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Why would you collect the rent for the landlord yet have a shared lease? All that hassle for no benefit! If you were the only one on the lease they'd be licensees and you could get them out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And given the rental market, what would you suggest the OP does the day after???? Go around and stay at your place?

Well all the rent has to be paid by one person. When I moved in, the "Main tenant" was collecting the rent, sorting out all the bills, cutting the grass, interfacing with the letting agency etc. So do you think I should ask one of the girls to be the one who collects the rent? Because the way the agency said it to me was the rent has to be paid in its total sum. Like they aren't renting rooms separately. I suppose it's just easier if everyone pays it into someone account? Or maybe It would make more sense for all of us to pay our share into the letting agencies account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Weird set up. We used just all have standing orders to the landlord, when we were all on the lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Not that weird. Anywhere I rented where we were all on one lease, the landlord wanted one payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

First mistake was picking 3 Latin women, they're notorious for creating drama going by friends experiences. Second mistake was not agreeing to asking for a dryer. New heat pump dryers use 1/4 the energy of a traditional dryer so electrical costs increase wouldn't be huge, it would be worth trying. Drying clothes Indoors also increases humidity and therefore promotes perfect conditions for mould growth, who wants to open windows all the time in Ireland unless you don't feel the cold?

You need to move if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Tbf ear plugs only do so much and I've invested in many different types

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Single male thinks it’s a great idea to move in 3 single Latino women….I think we can fill in the rest

No idea how you managed to rent out the rooms, collect and manage the house it seems yet have no power over the other tenants

At this stage your only option is move out as the situation will not get any better. In fact it will just get worse and worse as the weeks go on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

How much is the heat pump dryer? If the agent doesn’t buy it how do you spilt it up when leaving?

Sounds like they live in a city and plenty of places available to wash and dry clothes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

ye are all as bad as eachother in my opinion. Them being dramatic, and you smoking drugs out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

It seems to me these girls know all the tricks, i notice they all have or had utility bills in their name which is needed for banking etc, who's name is the bins in simce you said she not change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You couldn't possibly believe that opening post is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

I think I'm on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

You do realise that they are going to have an issue with the electric bill now if there are small heaters in the bedrooms? The rates have increased so there will be another row over that bill. Most heaters cost more than gas heating. The electric bill will be larger than usual.

Also if the gas account is closed and there is no account set up there will be a new charge after a certain length of time to check the gas system and that is not going to be cheap. The landlord will not be happy hearing the house is not heated correctly. The landlord may be given a bill to reconnect.

There should have been an agreement the bills equally split whether someone is there or not. Less hassle. They pay if they like it or not. If they dont like it they move out. A meter reading should have been taken when the person moved in mid bill so they pay their share of the bill after that date.

You need to sort yourself out with the drugs and get off that as they can get you removed by contacting the agent. You may find you are out on the street. Also having the window open does not stop the smell of drugs going through the house.

Would not like to be in such a toxic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,114 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You do realise that they are going to have an issue with the electric bill now if there are small heaters in the bedrooms?

They could save over 200 pounds a year by running the electricity off the gas and the gas off the electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

This is a challenging one to resolve. Forgiveness is the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have ended up renting to a group of south American women. Every 4 months they contact me about some argument they have and how they want somebody kicked out for their behaviour. I have told them on every occasion that they are adult and they need to deal with it. They move in and out so regularly it is hard to keep track of who is there. Seems to be something to do with visas that I can't understand. I have to re register with the PRTB so much I am thinking I will charge people a fee for breaking leases

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

So hot water at the sinks is heated using the immersion? Electricity going to be high. During the winter there be cold rooms throughout the apartment.

• Advertisement

Have you thought about a D and E to even things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Disagree. It's possible for 3 people to be in the wrong and acting as a kind of feedback system for each other's grievances.

Besides which did you miss the shifting alliances? A was being confronted by OP, B and C at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

sounds like he caught reefer madness off the drugs, no wonder its all gone to pot

I wonder what Mr. Roper thinks of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I thank God every day that my job is WFH

These girls have a limited understanding of how Irish utilities, inflation and estimated readings work. They just see a big heating bill and go **** that.

There was and still is an agreement to split bills but it's fell apart a bit since they have "Taken over" and started doing whatever the **** they want.

In terms of drugs, yes, weed is my Achilles heal. I use it to self sooth but it makes me more anxious. It makes me paranoid, scared and forgetful. It's a bad habit I learned in secondary and haven't been able to kick it since.

In terms of weed getting me removed by the agency, there is a huge burden of proof when it come to "Anti-social" behaviour.

I've spoken to threshold about this already and they said that there is basically no way to prove someone is smoking weed in the house unless the gaff is smelling of it and maybe a rep from the agency comes over or I am filmed doing it.

Either way weed is **** my life up and I really need to kill that stoner part of myself, for my own survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

You picked your new housemates very poorly, if you were living with Irish lads I would have replaced them with other Irish lads.

No **** sherlock. Captain hindsight over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ve nothing to add except my sympathy. Living with three neurotic Latino women would do my head in. As someone once said to me you have to be a bit racist with house rentals- know exactly what he means. There’s a clash of values and cultures here that’s unbridgeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Are the bills split equally still?

Advertisement