Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensing an fx impact

Options
  • 03-07-2022 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Anyone had an issues licencing an fx impact? I've been told it's a restricted firearm. I've had fire arms over 20yrs, rifles both centerfire and rim aswell as pcps and shotguns. I've decided I've taken a real shine for an impact so I'm wondering has anyone had an issue get it licenced and if so what did you have to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭17hmr1

Is it a bullpup

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Grow up

Yes, bull pup design

• Registered Users Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Then yes it's restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Grow up

You would think with it been a pcp that would be some sort of derogation for it. Anyone out there licenced one and what did you have to do to satisfy the superintendant to grant it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Came about because up until a few years ago they were licensed as unrestricted (mistakenly so apparently). Long story short, a dealer kicked up a fuss about them, Gardaí took another look at them including contacting supplier in the UK, realised they were bullpup (mag behind the trigger), then wrote out to everyone licensed and told them they were essentially unlicensed and to re-apply or change to an unrestricted model.

I know one chap that was in the process of licensing one when this kicked off and his application was "suspended" until it was clarified. Later on he decided to go with another model that was not bullpup as after 6 months he got fed up waiting.

Never heard of anyone else or what they did. Apparently, and this is only barstool talk, FX have stopped shipping them (or did, not sure if they've resumed) as they are not classed as restricted outside of Ireland and the "grief" is not worth it.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

FX Dreamline Tactical is one of the nearest non restricted options if you don’t want the hassle of restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Restricted licence air rifles FFS….

only in Ireland 😠

maybe it’s something useful that committee can sort 😳

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Unlikely.

The problem stems from the way firearms are viewed as guns, regardless of what they shoot. So an air rifle is the same as a 308 under Irish law.

Same thing with Buckmark. The 22lr pistol is unrestricted however stick a stock on it (the Buckmark rifle in 22lr) and its now restricted because the mag is behind the trigger, hence Bullpup.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭garrettod

What exactly is the concern with a Bullpup, please? Is it the shorter length?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

To license one you’d have to provide a reason why you need this one over a non-restricted model. Unofficially, I’d suggest bullpup restriction is one of the harder criteria to get around as there is rarely a technical reason, only a practical one.

As above, there is not law that specifically makes bullpup air rifles restricted, it’s simply a case of being caught in the general definition of “bullpup rifle”.

• Advertisement

There’s no reason given, but I would assume that it’s because a bullpup is designed to make a rifle smaller. Which means more concealable, mobile, and effective in close quarters. Which is a benefit in certain situations, but not hunting/target sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Which is a benefit in certain situations, but not hunting/target sports.

Climb up a US ladder tree stand with a normal-length rifle, or go hunt heavy timber with a carbine/bullpup to know the difference.😂

This came about in 2007/08 with more Hollywood-educated experts drawing up laws who decided the "bullpup was especially dangerous" because of course the Irish army use the Steyer AUG and therefore it must be a "military weapon".

In fact, the bullpup design is over 150 years old and was first used in the black powder era,for the same concept of getting max velocity and accuracy out of a full-length barrel in a shorter package. Concealability was never an issue of the design, it's just an added "bonus"[?]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I’ve never seen a tree stand in Ireland. Do they exist? That sounds like a perfectly valid reason.

completely agree that concealibility was a bonus not the intent. But that’s the current situation.

What was the 150 year old bullpup? I know of one from 1900s. That was a bit of a ergonomic failure as the was a bolt was at the shoulder. All the others I know of at post WW2

They are slowly showing up in some parts of the country.,mostly contraptions built out of folding ladders or steel tubing.As larch poles which are the common building materials for these are in rather short supply.

Forgotten weapons had a great vid on the bullpup from its design concepts,that's where they mentioned how old it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF6f21kbi2g

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Excellent. Thank you. I love the design history on things like that. Will check it out later.

Regarding the logic of bullpup laws. Should really come down to min barrel/overall length and nothing else.

Now,if you wanted concealability,check out this puppy.Pretty reasonable at 2,800 euros for custom work too

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/01/06/f-v-s-stradivari-single-shot-bullpup-hunting-rifle/

that’s some job of engineering meets craftsmanship.

this was the one I thought of first. Not as short,

although, I think the sniper rifle is more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chef

Hi

The gun shop.ie can't keep them in stock,someone is getting licences for them.

Bottom line is (reason why)

They are the Mercedes of airguns

Advertisement