Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ever acceptable to break up via text?

Options
  • 02-07-2022 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭

From a timing perspective is it ever acceptable to end something with a text message or voice note?

I've been on 5 dates with a guy, we haven’t slept together yet. I have lost interest and don’t want to keep dating him and would much prefer to not have to do it via phone. The thing is, if this was me - I’d prefer the other person ended it via text as a phone call would be awkward. Clearly if it was a proper relationship in person would be the right thing to do - but after five dates what do people normally do?

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think it's fine for you to end it by text, but be gentle about it. The kind of people who get upset about you ending it by text are probably the same people who will flip out/drag it out if you end it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭YellowLead

That’s how I feel. I was chatting to a few different friends on whattsap last night at the same time as him and he could clearly see i was online but not always responding instantly to his messages so he asked me if I was chatting to other people. Which I thought was a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

WhatsApp is acceptable, sms isn’t.

What would be the difference?

I don’t use sms anymore, when I say text I mean whattsap just be be clear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

I wouldn't even call it a break up after 5 dates. It's just a person you've lost interest in and telling them on WhatsApp is perfectly acceptable. It's less awkward and both parties just move on.

• Advertisement

Thank you this is what I wanted to hear. It’s what I think but my friend said I should call him, so I was hoping I wasn’t doing the wrong thing.

He’s an older guy too (mid 50s) and I wondered if he would think it rude via text because of being a different generation, but that’s me overthinking!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

5 dates does not a relationship make, therefore it's not even a breakup. It's just someone you don't want to take things further with. In this situation, I think a text is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Oh Jesus no, don't call him. Someone did that to me once and it was the most awkward encounter I've ever had with another person. I've also been told by text that someone has lost interest back in my single days, I wished them luck and moved on.

Just think about what you want to say, be nice as you can and send it.

In a world of ghosting, you’re being uber polite by texting.

5 dates, not feeling it. A text is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Jafin

Considering it has only been five dates and you haven't slept together then I think a text is ok in this instance. As someone else mentioned, just be gentle. Something along the lines of "Hi (name), I've enjoyed the time we spent together but I don't see us forming a meaningful romantic connection in the future, so I think it's better that we don't see one another anymore. Best of luck in the future."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Of course it’s ok. Go ahead and text

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

5 dates and no, eh, snuggling?

Ye young folk these days, pfffft.

Yeah I wouldn't even call that a breakup

What's the most bitter tasting coffee in the world?

Break up coffee:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

With him being an older guy, he might well consider it rude. Do what works for you OP. Maybe stick to your own generation in future though and you may get beyond 5 dates.

Stay Free

Five dates and no riding?

That's a friendship.

A text is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,860 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s acceptable.

i broke up with the girlfriend before this one by WhatsApp, she was being a difficult drama Queen , ever increasingly so….wouldn’t answer my calls or reply to WhatsApp’s after not even an argument, just a difference of opinion which were becoming more regular… then out of the blue a couple of weeks later my phone rings and just I thought, “ fûcking no chance am I answering that… “ no thanks, it’s over, good luck… “….delete and block….

How do you think he will take it, if you end it by text?

Going against the popular opinion, but I do think its rude. I know some friends its happened to, and they all felt disrespected by it, and their self-esteem a little deflated, like they weren't even worth a phone call.

But you do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Texting him will be a kind thing to do. Most people wouldn't even bother after 5 dates. They would just ghost him, which I find wrong.

Meeting with him to end it would be too much because there is nothing really to end.

It doesn't matter that he is 50. If he prefers to stay dinosaur, it is not your responsibility. Why should you accommodate him, not yourself?

they all felt disrespected by it, and their self-esteem a little deflated

If they felt that way, so probably there was more into it like sleeping with them, so they did it to themselves really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What an odd thing to say, particularly seeing as I'm pretty sure the OP is in her 40s herself.

OK... I don't know how you can make that mental leap to make it the other persons fault for feeling disrespected - but whatever.

OP you know what kind of person you're dealing with. No harm in letting someone down gently and having a little consideration for their feelings at the same time, is all I'm saying. Manners cost nothing, but are sadly scarce these days.

In my view, a text says "you're not worth the effort of a phone call". If that makes me a dinosaur, I'm okay with it. 🦖

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Send the text if you want. After 5 dates some would even just ghost truth be told.

But no matter how you do it he'll think you're bit of a bitch. So just send them the text without putting too much thought in to it.

Growing up hurts. It tears out our illusions about ourselves. We find our place by a series of trial. We try meeting with different people than us. And it is perfectly normal that we meet rejection and we reject others. 

If someone attaches self esteem to it, one is not a grown up person.

Yet I agree about doing it gently...

I'm pretty sure at 50, he is already grown up.

What is not being a grown up, is breaking up with someone by text as if you're a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I dunno Loueze. I can see your point, but regardless of the way you get the heave-ho, it's going to be blow to the auld ego.

This person is mid 50s(no idea what age the OP is), so I'd hope they'd have enough experience in life and resilience in life experience to get over it. Don't get me wrong, it could be very hurtful, but a relationship is a two way street, so if the OP isn't feeling it...then game over. Sucks, but that's life.

In saying that, 5 dates is quite a few, especially at their age (I'm about a decade younger and wouldn't play games after maybe the 2nd one. I'm not saying the OP is by the way).

So I'd go with the message, especially if they weren't particularly intimate. Better than ghosting.

So he will deal with it. It is not OP's responsibility, if he attaches self esteem to it and needs OTT treatment.

I never suggested that the OP should keep on seeing this guy, only that breaking up by text is not the kindest way to end it, (imo).

If they ever bump into this person when out somewhere in the futue, how they end things could be the difference between awkwardness, straight up being ignored, or a friendly hello.

I know which I'd prefer, and before you say it, yes, I know the OP probably isn't bothered, either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Clever

Only if the lass is a headwreck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

I think text helps with the awkwardness, especially if they don't take it well. If it were a long relationship I think the decent thing is to end it in person. But seeing as it's only 5 dates, I think you're good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement