Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Drink is a funny thing....."

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Alright alright.

It's a fairly profound issue with some wide sweeping implications if I were proven to be correct.

So I accept your challenge.

If you can demonstrate to me emphatically any single contention I've presented with as being even marginally wrong, present so much as a modicum of material to disprove it.......... aw hell.......... I'll eat a f**king sneaker!!

Ready?

Set?

Go!!

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I studied the works of that person, thoroughly and I can categorically say its the 4th edition.

What are you, the bibliography version of a grammar nazi?

In physics we trust....

Yes.

As you are well know as an engineer and a mathematician that accuracy is paramount.

But you have been proven wrong. Its the 4th edition. The 5th edition moved quite substantially away from its neoclassical roots. Stunning difference.

• Advertisement

Steering the conversation back on track;

No one has an opinion on this issue?

Bear in mind, a significant contributor to the national housing shortage, especially for private renters and buyers is government acquisition of accommodation for the purposes of council allocation (given to homeless).

One of our most pressing national concerns, the epicenter being Dublin.

Given the entire alcohol/opioid/benzo and other form of malicious narcotic misuse around the city, the root cause of the issue is literally going from bad to worse.

So I guess in saying "drink is a funny thing" I'm not necessarily positing "funny hahaha" so much as, ironically funny........ but devastatingly so.

In physics we trust....

I was waiting for an appropriate time to quote this also.

This is truly one of those diabolical Irish'isms, like "Guinness is good for you" or "whiskey acts as a blood thinner".

lol

Some people actually buy into this BS.

Alcohol is bad, no exceptions.

There is no conceivable circumstance under which alcohol proves any kind of physiological benefit (outside of being an antiseptic);

Any kind of neurological/behavioral physiological benefit.

Of course I understand it may assist with social practice where culture is so flawed it necessitates it.

But this, THIS, is the true issue that needs addressing.

Why do we need to use it + other narcotics in the first place..... ?

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Relax, get some hooch into ye sure I had a had a few friends over last night -

Comatose. Sign of a good night and I know what you’re thinking , aghast as I am myself but yes new TV incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Statement without foundation.

All risk mortality studies show moderate drinkers faring better than heavy drinkers and abstainers.

There is also evidence of protective heart benefit from drinking alcohol.

The jury is still out, despite what some selective WHO studies might say, ignoring such evidence. If ultimately the risks of moderate drinking outweigh the benefits, it must be quite a small \ weak effect. One which most drinkers would accept. There are no grounds to write "there are no conceivable circumstances" that is a very statement, backed up by nothing.

And of course in the past, weak beer and wine was essential as an alternative to water of unknown safety in urban areas.

It's very easy to write "where culture is so flawed" well there must be a lot of flawed cultures out there, in the present and the past. So maybe it's easier for alcohol to assist as a social lubricant than to try to fix so many 'flawed' societies.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Not to be too much of cynic but....... first decent reply in this thread.

It's very easy to write "where culture is so flawed" well there must be a lot of flawed cultures out there, in the present and the past. So maybe it's easier for alcohol to assist as a social lubricant than to try to fix so many 'flawed' societies.

Perhaps an interim stop-gap of sorts.

Let's face it, the gender divide is so vast, global population would probably be much lower without said "social lubricant" to help things along.

Purely physiologically, alcohol is bad.

However what you seem to allude to is, moderate drinkers may use it to assist positive social function which has an implication on neural excitation (<- link, explained therein), which is a primary (perhaps thee primary) determinant of positive physiological function.

And yes of course, many flawed cultures (or more specifically cultures which lack development), but definitely some more so than others.

Such is the point at hand.

And the question is of course, how to improve/address and potentially rectify-such-to-optimize that dilemma?

The quantum-mechanics cat characterizes this question quite well. (<- link)

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Why do you have to act all philosophical with this thread? as if you're making some observation about life that most haven't put their finger on? Don't tell me you're not? All you're really doing is saying something very obvious that we're all aware of.

More importantly, are you really a gigolo? And if so, how do you advertise? You haven't answered that. Are you comfortable having sex with people you're not attracted to? or does anything with a pulse do for you? And what about STIs? You've come to boards to put all this out there, so I don't see why you should get to shy away from the questions on it you don't want to answer.

most haven't put their finger on?

Oh really? What is it you think they've put their finger on?

are you really a gigolo?

Gigo-wat?

A "gigo-lo"...... that's a subjective term.

I prefer, male-prostitute.

Occasionally I'll abbreviate it to, prostidude.

Or sometimes I just shoot from the hip and go with the straight-up term, "man whore".

And yes, I'm a real good man whore...... (<-link for confirmation)

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

Quit the messing around. What are you afraid of answering for? Your online reputation of an anonymous account?

Quit the messing around

For some reason when I read that, the voice-over came out in my mind as some half-in-the-bag countryside-dweller irately giving it,

"don't be acting the buck!!".

Is that what you really meant to say?

In physics we trust....

On this general topic, I fell asleep to a podcast last night, exploring a very relative issue.

A historian explores the rationale behind

• failed leadership policies and political agendas,
    • failed attempts at cultural reformation, and
    • why US attempts to "civilize" less developed cultures has typically wound up with them destabilizing said countries irrevocably.

And most specifically, attempting to establish the core governing rationale determining all this failure.

Re that "core governing rationale", I think the time stamp begins where he explores that segment in depth, specifically.

Regardless it's an interdasting listen with captivating delivery.

In physics we trust....

Advertisement