Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Drink is a funny thing....."

• 01-07-2022 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

I don't drink (alcohol).

Never have (at least not outside of some juvenile experimentation), never will.

Not that I have an issue with the substance it's just bad for muh hair (makes it thinner and less shiny).

However the quoted expression is a euphemism/Irish'ism most of us have heard and given our culture, are unfortunately intimately familiar with, so I consider it an appropriate segue into the real issue:

The expression "drink is a funny thing..." is used to describe the apparent changes in behavior that come about in people when they're sober, in contrast to being under the influence of an intoxicant.

Therefore, under the influence of something, some kind of intoxicant, your intoxicant of choice (even Sugar, mine), looking back at some of your behavior (as - quick neuroscience lesson, our behavior/personality is coded in our neural networks - interfere with their signalling = interfere with our electrical/emotional responses - which determine behavior);

What kind of changes do you feel reliably come about when you indulge in your intoxicant of choice, and what crap do you get up to and does it make you do?

Things that make you think, "oh goodness, did that really happen?".

I knew this dude way back who was super reserved but he'd get shit faced and it was like his bipolar stunt double emerged...... it was bad.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Are you sure , you haven't drank something this evening?

Your post is like a madman's shite , all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Clever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

What in the name of @#$€ are you on about this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,134 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah OP you sound like one of those people who don't need drink to be 'drunk' :)

Drink is a funny thing alright. There isn't just one 'form' of drink though. I have had very different experiences over the years from beer\cider versus shorts\cocktails versus straight spirits versus wine. Wine sipped with a dinner speeds the appetite and if chosen well is the perfect 'super condiment' to food. Wine 'plonk' glugged quickly on its own at a party can floor someone used to beer. I've had the munchies from beer (craving pizza, crisps that kind of thing) yet too much beer leaves me unable to face a restaurant meal.

Drinking beer I feel like I get drunk from the head down (so you are aware first of a certain light headedness and dizziness) whereas with spirits it creeps up slowly from the stomach and then wham you're full on drunk. Best not to speak, you might embarrass yourself when you get to that point.

Our species has a long history with alcohol but primarily lower forms of alcohol such as weak beer and wine. Distilled spirits are 'novel' to us biologically - see the podcast below for more.

I have heard the effects of alcohol described variably:

• You become more 'yourself'
    • It is a holiday from yourself
    • It can make a shy person extroverted \ quiet person loud \ loud person quiet

And honestly I don't know which is true, somehow both seem to be! That's the funny thing about alcohol.

I can relax without a drink, but a drink in hand is a signal that I'm now off duty from the day to day cares of everyday life.

Then there's the beer goggle effect. To quote Shakespeare - it doth provoke the desire and remove the performance.

And alcohol can cause blackouts. What's surprising is that you seem to be functioning away ok and not seem that drunk to others - and yet no memory.

Yep it's a funny thing.

This is a great podcast on drink and its effects on human society:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/talking-drunk-author-edward-slingerland/id1548227946?i=1000530237614

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Drink doesn't change me drastically. Just makes me even more hilarious. I love being drunk though. Just love the feeling. I've been told I'm a 'good drunk', whatever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Some dudes, apparently they like to start fights.

Some womenz, apparently it elicits their more promiscuous inner selves? (gotta love them gals).

Me personally?

Well I don't smoke or drink but, my indulgence of intoxicants originated back to my college days, cramming for exams.

So there have been periods where I, how you say, like to go fast?

During such periods my obscene indulgence is writing obscene crap on the internet.

lol, I even look back at some of my posting history on here and woah.

I'm thinking, "did I really write that? Holy f&*k. I must have been pretty bombed".

Unfortunately my last such period, after I was done getting multiple heart tracings the Doctor was like, "bruh, you're on the precipice of doing some damage that can never be undone".

And when he said never he wasn't kidding around he was like, "neevvvverrrr", with this dark and ominous overtone.

So you all will be glad to know there'll be less shit posting.

lol, there was this time during the lockdowns I was "intoxicating" under those terms consecutively for quite a while, and that shit keeps you up late.

So I took to calling a bunch of hookers in the middle of the night whilst I was pleasuring myself, trying to get them to talk dirty to me down the phone.

"Oh yeah honey, tell me about that service again, but slowly this time, and don't leave out any details".

lol

It was bad.

After a while they must have been on to me cause they'd pick up at 3 am and be like "what!! WTF do you want now!!?"

😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

It’s a bodge op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You sound delightful. Are you single?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It there an app that can translate these posts to something even vaguely resembling coherency ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,497 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't mix your mom's vodka with your dad's codeine anyway....

Not your ornery onager

Technically no but, I can always free up some space on my calendar....

What did you have in mind?

😘

I get a horn on me you could hang a cinema curtain on.

That is but a pale imitation of the 19th century drinks of Presidents, Popes and monarchy - and inspiration for Coca Cola:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

How’s life as a gigolo now? You operating out of Dublin? And how do you advertise?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

Drink is the peasant / the poor mouth of the drug family - overdoing it brings out the animal in you and it's never pretty to see in action

I found the above most true in E European societies (not that it don't happen here on a regular nor to imply All E Europeans drink to excess) - but seeing princesses by day transform into thing-woman from the Exorcist by night after a skinful, Bow Wow ! Satanic possession. Unbelievable

Add in the aroma to that .. vomit trickling down chin onto the perfect powder blue top of a woman you wanted to lick to death in Act 1, 2 hrs earlier. Ye gods !

And Cocaine - the sidekick to keep the unholy show on the road till you are sleepwalking into Day 2/3 - available most everywhere - will keep you swigging like Nero the nite long without yawning once - even ducking a few piss breaks just so you can talk more shite ..

Of all drugs i have sampled, Opium came closest to heaven - you were fully there, fully clothed, all senses (even ones you didn't know you had) turned out in their finest to watch the parade ...

A night to remember ...

Alcohol shd be reserved for Karaoke competitions ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I drink but I am a boring drinker tbh so I don't have many stories. By boring I mean that I drink responsibly, I take my time, and don't overdo it. By the time it takes me to finish a pint, most people are already finished their second pint and on their third, and I never drink past a certain amount. I guess I just don't like getting absolutely hammered because I don't like the idea of ending up in a hospital or police station.

That being said, I like the feeling of being tipsy when you're drunk but you still have all your faculties so you have a certain amount of control over yourself, but you feel warmth and comfort, and your confidence is increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Back in the day as a college student the goal was to get drunk cheaply, which meant vodka, which meant blackout. I was that person who made an absolute show of themselves, falling over a glass table and breaking it, peed in the bed after too many drinks, tried to punch someone over jealousy, had an ambulance over cause I fell badly, experienced sexual assault, and the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

What for ?

Just stop drinkin pish and actin the maggot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Bar jokes are funny things. Ya know the ones that start with "An x goes into a bar..."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Pfffff, She-Johns are broke these days!

You know how low I've had to drop my prices for a Filthy-Lopez?

If things don't look up shortly I may have to consider doing two-for-ones.

🤦‍♀️

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I’ve heard this before quite a bit and I think there is something to it, but I’m wondering does this apply only to those who never drank or those who stopped drinking because of issues with it, or both? Personally I would say the former, I know two men who never drank, both arseholes and both totally untrustworthy individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’d to walk into bars all the time compulsion is still there need to stay sober. Sombre , sober it’s a double edged sword

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This is the most boards thing ever.

A thread starts by someone boasting of being a non-drinker. A few posts later it turns out the OP, is, however, a total ****-ing speed freak. Which kind of steps on the original point just a teeny bit.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Most straight lads want to get into bed when drunk..Im happy to let them...

The 'merry' stage. Hard to stay in that zone in rounds but drinking at home modulating what you drink and when you can stay in that merry stage for the evening.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I don't know, I can't remember. It's all a bit of a blur.

Reading this, a part of me is like:

But another part of me is like:

Simply because it's a very emphatic exhibition of the variation in interaction between physiology and chemical according to disposition.

In other words, some people could drink a whole lot and be relatively okay.

Others don't need much at all and it's......

But most specifically this varies according to development.

To explore this further I'd been attempting to establish a thread in health-sciences.

Was advised by b/ moderator @Fathom to try and draw other viewers into the discussion so,

For the reading pleasure of AH's (written in user-friendly terminology with diagrams/pictures).

In addition the greater the childhood trauma, the greater the alcohol misuse

childhood trauma

It would stunt emotional development = skews neurological development.

Neural firing is askew = downstream signalling goes sideways -> greater the impetus to self-medicate essentially (use exogenous chemicals in attempt to treat maladaptive neural signalling).

Yeah, the start of the learning curve (any learning curve) is ALWAYS the toughest.

Once you get into the swing of things and get foot hold in the sheer face, some momentum to the learning, it gets orders of magnitude easier.

I believe that's why childhood trauma is so devastating, cause it so dramatically impacts thought/emotional development at such a critical time - and emotion -> determines neurological development.

In other words, our thought/emotional progression actually determines our physiology and if that gets negatively impacted early, it has the potential to cause indefinite sideways.....'ness.

But, there HAS to be an effective intervention to treat or correct stunted thought/emotional development, cause if it materializes there's not, humanity is gonna be up the creek without a paddle pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Seriously. I'm lost. I like being a wee bit tipsy on occasions, but not drunk. Only if in an original decent mood.

Stop with the pseudo intellectualism. Just makes your post sound like you're on opium.

It's not typical AH speak I'll concede, but the poster I'm responding to mentioned she has a background in neuro-psychology (university, mind you).

These concepts are theorized in such an area, but lack that ultimately unquestionable neuro/physiological definition (which I'm trying to establish).

So to someone who knows the lingo it should be comprehensible enough.

To regular AH posters, excess intoxicant use can be indicative of poor quality emotional/personality development (as the latter two are mediated/coded through the nervous system - which chemicals effect).

By example if someone needs alcohol to loosen out and socialize, that's indicative to some degree of poor social/emotional/personality development (the entire Irish culture 🙄).

Simple enough.

But let me just say that in my case, "intoxicant" use was geared specifically toward experimental neurology and potential performance enhancement (and perhaps a little bit the bad influence of Joe Rogan telling me it's good to trip balls).

• Advertisement

Still no idea what you're on about.

You're qualifications on discussing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wtf is the OP on about

Yeah it's a concept more than a segment of information.

Concepts always take a little self-application, time and visualization to "get".

Qualifications? Well I've a first class honors in maths and engineering from one of Ireland's (actually Europe's) top universities.

😁

Full run down is in the link I'm shamelessly plugging.

Oh! Something in common so.

But...I never did a course in neuroscience. Must have been locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Drugs are for mugs, kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

He's on SPEED, jesus will you ever pay attention

Speed kills. Especially in 30 km zones.

Nope, just did a module in neuropsychology and a few degrees in psychology

Ah here. Don't be ridiculous with your edumaction. Sure anyone can learn stuff off rogan podcasts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

This thread has inspired me to crack open a Beamish

An aside... they had to enforce drink driving laws on the Amish buggies as there had been too many accidents alas. I thought the horse would be ok on auto pilot but sadly not.

The type around Dublin that one would consider, "lost lives" you know, laid out in door ways, alleys or in front of shops.

Their body is just trashed.

The expression and essentially induction of collagen formation on their face, it screams "chronic substance abuse".

They normally speak with the heaviest Dublin accent so far gone it could almost be considered a dialect of its own.

What's my point?

Ummmmm, I'm sure there is one.

Oh yes, of course; that far gone inner city/north-side Dublin culture is trash, and as supposedly "folksy" and personable and anti-snob as it's heralded as being, trash begets trash.

They think it, they become it.

They adhere to a degenerative behavior and check out the "physiological transduction".

Their nervous systems become worthless, shot to pieces, resultant substance abuse in an attempt to self medicate, and the extension of their neurological function (or dysfunction) looks a little something like.....

Kind of heartbreaking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement