Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G to close

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Finally Roscommon town finally updated their mast to 5G from a 3G only mast. It was ridiculous in 2023. There’s a few more that need doing. Got a reasonable speed of 200mbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I visited Norway recently and Vodafone sent a text warning that there was no 3G. They have 4G and 5G almost everywhere though, a mast on a mountain over a fjord gives quite good coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Good to hear, there are still quite a few towns in Ros,Sliglo,Mayo still on 3g.

Any word on 3g close down in Cork today?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

3G is still broadcasting as of today but I mainly fall back to E instead of 3G now. Setting the phone to 3G only allows me to use 3G.

Vodafone have n7 (2600mhz) using 20mhz (EARFCN 3350) for 4G on many sites around the city.

No sign of the 5mhz n8 I'm hoping to see deployed. Thats the only real benefit of they 3G switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Haven't noticed any major changes in either Northside or Southside of Cork City.

5g is flakier now than it was before.

• Advertisement

Looks like they removed the Cork and Galway 3G switch off details from this page.

3G Upgrade - Goodbye 3G, hello better connections | Vodafone

Wonder will it happen anytime this year.

5g now showing up in Johnstown Navan the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Have they started Dublin yet? Signal around my way isn't what it used to be so hoping for a bump if they're upgrading equipment.

Another mast just outside Longford upgraded from 3g to 4g. Big new panels. (LD055)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Apologies for the late reply here but that is most likely how Vodafone have designed it.

WIFI Calling and VoLTE reside in the networks IMS core, moving out of WiFi coverage the IMS core will try hand the call off to the VoLTE network or failing that to the circuit switch network (2/3G), so it's looking for you on their network to hand off the call not on the 3 Ireland network, without an active 4G data session it won't go to VoLTE, next then the CS network if you are reachable, anyway there not internet calls but encrypted like a VPN IPSec tunnel, given its GEO blocked they more than don't allow IMS calls to leave the Vodafone network.

3 on the other hand seem a bit looser in this regard it sounds but again all down to the design engineers and what network security / fraud departments demand, Vodafone are rigid in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

As an update to the above:

VoWiFi to VoLTE handoff will still fail on a single SIM iOS device with a Vodafone SIM and mobile data turned off.

VoWiFi to VoLTE handoff will also fail on a dual SIM iOS device, with both SIMs being Vodafone, on whichever SIM that is not set active for mobile data.

VoWiFi to VoLTE handoff works perfectly on an Android device (or, at least, a Google Pixel) with a Vodafone SIM and mobile data turned off for that SIM, for both single SIM and dual SIM scenarios.

So it appears whatever way Vodafone and iOS devices are handling handoff does not work seamlessly on iPhones but does on a Pixel.

Whereas WiFi to VoLTE handoff works perfectly on iOS for both Eir and 3 once you have local 4G/5G coverage to handoff to (since 2G/3G is not as you say packet switched).

This 3g shutdown is mad. One city covered in 10 months 😂. They are probably expanding 5g countrywide now as a priority. Nothing happening in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KubaKLucan

Anyone have any news on this whole shutdown? The Vodafone page hasn't had an update in months and if this article here (https://www.bonkers.ie/blog/broadband-phone/vodafone-to-fully-switch-off-its-3g-network-by-the-end-of-the-year/) is true we should've probably seen a little more progress than just limerick city by now 😂 Has anyone seen any new 5g masts and loss of 3g signal at all? Here in Lucan most of our masts are only 4g not even 4g+ so bit disappointing here. though i have noticed my phone will bounce between E and 4g/5g a lot more now. 3g is still in operation as I do still see it show up, just less often.

For a few days back in September all my connections were going 5G/4G to E but 3G was still available if forced. This was all reverted after a few days and back on 3G.

Most Vodafone masts around Cork and now upgraded to 5G (NR and DSS) behind Eir but ahead of 3 at this stage.

Apparently it was delayed at least around Ringaskiddy in Cork due to some factory using 3G repeaters for coverage around the factory. It was switched back on Apparently they were giving until the end of December to migrate.

Getting that 5mhz block in the 900mhz range broadcasting 4G will be a nice improvement.

Cork and Galway were listed on this page for a few weeks before they were removed.

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/3G-upgrade.html

They have abandoned it I'd say. They seem to be upgrading rural areas instead. Sky mobile was meant to launch on the Vodafone network and that hasn't happened either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I wouldn't be surprised if Vodafone are gearing up to be taken over or sold off. Reminds me a bit of O2 in their final years.

That would be my thinking as well. They’ve sold off Vodafone Spain. Vodafone Ireland is way smaller is comparison and requires a huge investment to upgrade all those legacy wooden pole 3G sites.

Same with Vodafone UK merging with 3.

I can’t see the regulator allowing a Vodafone and 3 merger here in Ireland from a competition point of view that would leave Eir dead in the water without a huge amount of spectrum and site transfers.

Maybe an Eir and Vodafone merger could make sense but I don’t think that’s Xaviers modus operandi.

Perhaps an EE takeover to break into the Irish market….

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

They are constantly advertising it on Radio 1.

• Advertisement

I'd say they will pull out of Ireland soon. Vodafone network isn't what it used to be. Three have far passed them for stability and reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Vodafone still the network of choice for business though. Price doesn't matter as such with most MNC using their services exclusively with masts integrated into their sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Denis O'Brien labels Google and Meta as ‘greedy f**ks’ and says telecoms operators are ‘b****xed’ | Independent.ie

Denis O'Brien on competition in the telecoms market

He said that regulators, as well as European Commission directions, have been “shocking”.

“Four operators in every country is mental,” he said, of regulatory preferences for multiple operators in each marketplace to provide competition.

“In reality, if you have two mobile operations knocking the sh*t out of each other, that's better than four, under-capexing the market.”

Appears to be a bit pissed-off atm, he's about to exit his his mobile business in the Caribbean

I wouldn't be listening to that fat lump scam artist DOB

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭rhinosaurious

It's true that vodafone lost their magic by a lot. Eir coverage is so much better now, especially in rural conditions. Eir has blown up new mast sites everywhere nationwide recently. Complete speculation, but maybe an eir an vodafone merger if anything?

Feck i hope not, they got me to sign up for another year. Cheaper rate for 6 months. The only reason i stayed with them was because of the upgrade promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

There's no way a merger between any of the 3 remaining networks would be allowed here. It would breech competition law.

If they're going to merge with anyone it'll be an acquisition / merger with a network that's not here already.

A more likely merger would be Vodafone with Virgin Media Ireland, and dropping the Virgin brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Liberty Global has been toying with joint ventures in the Netherlands with VodafoneZiggo and they’ve begun a collaboration with Vodafone here, opening their cable network to VF, while Siro, which Vodafone is a 50% partner in, is being used to expand VMI’s reach.

The Virgin Media brand is on shakier ground as it’s just licensed by Liberty Global from Branson, like all Virgin brands.

Virgin Media UK is now now a joint venture with O2 (Movistar / Telefonica) and the short lived integration of their Irish and U.K. operations was undone again.

Liberty has always been a branding mess though. They never seem to be able to build a pan European brand and set of products. It seems like none of their brands ever last beyond about 10 years and they seem to keep jumping into rebrands and restructures. It’s hard to keep up with it.

UPC for example looked like it was being built as a pan European brand but then all of a sudden then dismantled it for no particular reason.

I wouldn’t really have many expectations for Liberty to build any kind of strong brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All the legacy sites are gonezo. The MNOs are getting out of the towers game. Eir(MMC) sold theirs off in like 2019, VF have a controlling stake in Vantage but let them run it. Cellnex (and their sub Cignal) are hoofing up sites all over the gaff.

Very soon most sites will either be Cellnex or ESB Telecom. And I suspect ESB telecom's pricing makes the MNOs want to move away to cheaper sites.

Advertisement