Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone 3G to close

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You can tell which sites that are recently upgraded to 4G. They seem to favour band 28, at least outside of large towns anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Comreg siteviewer was updated this week. Many Vodafone sites are no longer showing UMTS only showing GSM and LTE now. These previously had UMTS.

I haven't checked for 3G on these sites recently but they have good 4G/5G coverage in this particular area.

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#site/CK347/51.8880202288/-8.6013673237/1/Site%20CK347

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Vodafone keeping 2G going for a while yet, implying that "old" 2G phones will still work.

"Will there be any changes to the 2G network?

No. The 2G network provides core voice coverage, and we are continuing to invest in and maintain this network."

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/3G-upgrade.html

According to PM, Vodafone are shutting down 3G in Limerick City on the 14th of February.

https://www.anpost.com/Mobile/Notice-Of-3G-Upgrade

Looks like an post customers will be getting voice calls downgraded to 2G.

• Advertisement

Yeah I sort of hoped they’d make VoLTE available to PM customers.

Id be surprised if sky mobile launch without VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Glaceon

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

I noticed on a very rural cell Vodafone only recently added 2G along with LTE-A on 700mhz / Band 28. This cell was previously 3G on Band 1 and 4G on Band 3, both of which are still transmitting but I'll check next time I pass through if 3G remains active. I assume 2G was added to prepare for 3G removal ... which is crazy to think!

Yep, feels like going backwards. It won’t be so bad if they upgrade all the existing masts from 3g/2g to 4G/5G but I’m sceptical. I suspect rural areas that was picking up 3G will soon be on 2G Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

I'm not implying there's anything particularly bad about 2G, more that a newer gen is being replaced by it's predecessor! 2G possibly beats 3G for coverage, power consumption, simplicity and compatibility with a wider range of devices

The thought of going back to 2G voice calling and hearing the car radio pulsing again isn't all that attractive however! While Vodafone have some form of LTE Voice and WiFi Calling, my experience using these has been pretty terrible... missed calls, no calls, no texts, server registration failures ... and that's it they even allow you to avail of it in the first place! I get the feeling a lot of us will be reluctantly accepting 2G for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Having trouble connecting in my house the last few weeks. Internet non existent and lots of missed calls and texts only arriving long after they were sent.

Realistically are there any remedies available like signal boosters or is there any hope that I could be released from my contract etc if I complain? Only signed up in December and signal was fine at that point but obviously well past the cooling off period. Another 2 years of this will drive me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Mobile repeaters here, prices vary depending on the number of frequency bands required

https://stelladoradus.com/product/stellahome-family/

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

Does anyone have any information when sky mobile will launch? Been a Vodafone/eircell customer for nearly 25 years (from the 088 RTG days) but with the increases coming I want to jump but stay on the VF network (I’m bill pay )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Depending on your usage, you could switch to PAYG with Vodafone and avoid any future price increase.

Post Mobile and Clear are also on Vodafone's network.

Sky will probably attach competitive prices to those with TV contracts leaving higher rates for mobile only customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭GIMP

Any reports back on the 3g switch off in Limerick?

Going by the language on the Vodafone website it sounds like the switch was complete

“Phase 1 commenced in February 2023 when we upgraded the 3G network onto 4G & 5G in Limerick City.

We will be communicating further phases in the coming months and you can check this page for updates.”

https://n.vodafone.ie/network/3G-upgrade.html

Has anyone any experiences? Particularly indoor cover since switch off?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Yes, was there a day ago. Entire place riddled in 4&5G, indoors aswell. I even had 5G in a basement

Has anyone noticed if Vodafone are now using wifi calling as preferred over the network. I noticed my iphone seems to stay connected to my wifi calling despite how good or bad the network signal is. My phone is on ios 16.4.

Yeah I've noticed my Vodafone SIM is a lot quicker connecting to wifi-calling and does seem to prioritise using it, acts similar to my Eir connection now.

I was testing out Three Wifi Calling which is available on iOS 16.4. It rarely connects to wifi calling as it prioritises 4G and 5G calling. I have to move to a poor coverage area of my house before it connects (Or turn on airplane mode with wifi enabled).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 KubaKLucan

Hopefully Vodafone shut off 3g rather quickly. Their network seriously needs upgrades and now with Three catching up in terms of features (volte, wificalling) wouldn't be surprised if people start switching away from them. Personally the experience with Vodafone in Lucan isn't great. The data is slow even if it catches 5G, indoor coverage is pretty much non existent so that extra bit of spectrum would help a ton.

Just want to add my 2 cents, I'm noticing I am now picking up 5G in many places that did not have it before, I travel a lot within the country and it's becoming very obvious that the upgrade is rolling out now. I think they are really speeding things up.

Two locations in particular I noticed was Cavan town and Raheny in Dublin.

I have since noticed that Vodafone prioritises wifi calling when in standby but once on a call it hands over to the main network after a few seconds, strange…

Just checked on my iPhone iOS 16.4.1, not seeing that but I have poor 4G which drops to 3G regularly at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Same as. I set my phone to 3G only when I’m at home, otherwise it’s stuck on a weak 4G signal. I’m hoping the 3G closure improves things so I’m holding off going elsewhere for now. I don’t think Eir are much better here but at least they have good Wi-Fi calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭KildareP

I'm seeing WiFi calling being prioritised since iOS 16.4 alright but I'm not seeing it handoff to the main network unless I'm heading out the door and beyond the range of my WiFi network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭KildareP

Having a weird but annoying issue with Vodafone WiFi Calling. iPhone 11, 3 physical SIM and Vodafone eSIM.

If mobile data is set as the 3 SIM, then a call that tries to move from WiFi --> 4G on Vodafone fails every time, while the 3 SIM is seamless.

If mobile data is set as the Vodafone SIM, now Vodafone calls move WiFi --> 4G perfectly yet the 3 SIM will still happily continue to move WiFi --> 4G calls as well.

It appears Vodafone requires mobile data to be active on their SIM for WiFi --> 4G to work without dropping the call but 3 does not (mobile data being switched on should not even be required for it to work anyway so whatever way Vodafone is doing it seems to obscure).

Anyone else able to test it out? I know the vast majority of people aren't on dual SIM so I'm likely a fairly isolated case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

That may be why my wifi calls cut out frequently enough. Wifi is solid so I don't think there's an issue there. I've the same setup as you and using 3 data as vodafone signal is very poor in my house.

Advertisement