Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere decent in Ireland for a "shooting experience" with a range of guns?

Options
  • 30-06-2022 12:48am

Hi folks,

A few years ago I was in (I think) Budapest and we did a shooting experience. Got to use a bunch of random guns from small handguns to bigger shotguns and all in between.

I was wondering, is there anything similar in Ireland? There's a place near me called Courtlough (Balbriggan) but it seems to be just a shotgun for clay shooting, and a rifle, and nothing else. I'm looking to see can I book something that's more of a "selection box" style of package, where you can have a go of a few things. I'm not really interested in the world of guns, if I'm honest, but wouldn't mind doing a similar experience again just for something to do.

Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

To the best of my knowledge NOT a hope in hell on this island, at least not legally.

The best you will get is shotgun and un-restricted .22 rifles (bolt and semi-auto).

Others here may/probably know more than I do and will advise accordingly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you want the "American" gun range experience, you need to go to America.

Full auto, "machine guns", handguns, etc. None of it is either legal to have or legal to let you use.

You can visit a range and they may allow you to use some firearms, under supervision, but they will be what is known as unrestricted firearms which will include shotguns, small caliber rifles, and perhaps some "varmint" calibers. That is it.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cheers for the replies folks.

Sounds fairly limited, so. I might give that courtlough place a call, and try out the shotguns and rifles. Not as broad a selection as I'd have hoped to get to play about with but should be interesting to pass an hour or so, all the same, anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to give an insight. I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnnytc

Mourne shooting grounds up in Monaghan had shooting experiences up on their Facebook pages maybe take a look see if that's what your after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I use this gun range as it’s a 2 minute drive from my house. I’ve got some gift vouchers for my dad too and he loves it.

Handy if you are north county Dublin area.

https://www.balhearyshootinggrounds.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭J.R.

As well as having shotguns for clay shooting. .22 rifles for target shooting - Courtlough also has archery - if you are interested in trying that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You are probably better off going back to Budapest for a weekend tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

Courtlough Shooting Grounds offer shotgun and rifle experiences for individuals and groups, very good tuition in a safe environment https://courtlough.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Talk to paul walsh in gorey pistol and rifle shooting.

They would be all small calibre.22 but he has a wide range to chose from

http://eastcoasthuntingandshooting.com/index.php/facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

That style of shooting range doesn't exist over here really. But if you're interested in shooting glocks and revolvers (9mms, 357 magnums) you can do it at Nitsa. It's a range up in Northern Ireland about an hour from Dublin off the motorway. You would have to consider joining it before you can shoot any guns though. They don't do experiences. But once you join there are a big selection of pistols to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Indoor .22 pistol and .22 rifle, clay shotgun and archery. Been a few times for the shotgun as I have pistol and rifle. Wanted to try the archery.

The packages can be mixed ie. when i went the first time the weather wasn't suitable for archery so got extra clays.

Good fun but you'll fly through it in about an hour. I brought friends who had never shot before. 2 liked it but wouldn't do it again. One loved it and is always pestering me to go back. Spend another in the gun store drooling..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Reminds me of a trip to Thailand.

Magnums, Colts, ak's, shotguns anything you wanted to shoot in a big hall...

SOME kick off a Magnum !!!!! 😮

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Advertisement