Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

C licence questions

Options
  • 30-06-2022 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭

Ok, don't shoot me, I did my tests back in the day when regs were different.

I have a licence for A B C &D.

My Question is for a friend.

They want to get a C licence, but don't need a CPC, it'll be for driving a large camper van, a C1 will suffice, but it's the same test, you might as well do a C.

1. How long is the theory test valid for, after they complete it.?

2. I presume they need 12 approved lessons. ¿

3. Are automatic trucks common for lessons?

4. What's the going rate for cat C lessons ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Theory test is valid for 2 years. But all you have to do is apply for the learning permit and then that doesn’t really matter any more.

No. They don’t need 12 lessons that is only for cars. How many lessons you take is a matter for discussion with your driving school. You need to rent their truck for the test and they will not give it to you unless they are satisfied that you can handle it.

I did my C in a manual but it was many many moons ago. Did D a few weeks back and was in an automatic. I would expect it is the same with trucks theses days. (I don’t drive professionally.)

Don’t know for sure. My bus lessons were €160 for a two hour lesson.

Costs add up that’s for sure. Theory test, learner permit, lessons, test fee, vehicle hire for test, medical, licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Perfect, that's exactly what I needed to know.

I wasn't sure if the 12 lessons applied to C licence.

As I said, I did my tests many years ago, when it was simpler times

Again, thanks for the info.

It's for Mrs mikeecho, she needs to get a C1 for a potential future camper van, but if she gets a C , there'll be a free entitlement for BE, down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Unless things have changed, she'll only get the BE if she passes a test in C1E, CE, D1E, DE (or if she does the actual BE test and passes it).

• Advertisement

Yep, that’s my understanding. I have B, C, D and no one is offering me a BE.

Thanks @mikeecho I had not heard of that. I have a LP for a BE and was considering do it in late August or Sept. “There is a lot of politics involved in this.” The proposal makes sense and will probably happen but it doesn’t sound like it’s going to happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭jmreire

For cars anyway, if you do the test in an automatic, your license will only allow you to drive automatic's. But for trucks, nowadays when automation is all the go ( preparing for the driverless age to come), but now, I'm not sure what rules apply. . I did my HGV in a manual transmission truck back in the day, and moving to automatic / semi automatic was no big deal.

I did my D recently. Bus was an automatic and there is no restriction on the D element of my licence. My instructor had told be that if I had a B licence for manual then the D would not be restricted. Guess he was right. Anyway, that said, my chances for ever having to drive a manual bus are virtually zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I did the D test last year in an auto and when I add it to the licence it will cover manual/auto.

Truck manufacturers are no longer making manual trucks all semi/auto, Lessons are done in 2hr blocks anything between €120/130 a lesson.

Advertisement