Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duty Free cigarettes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Anyone have tobacco prices fromthe Holyhead route recently? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Amber Leaf 5x50g - 65stg

Amber Leaf 10 x 50g - 100stg

Same as above for Golden Virginia

Drum or Lambert Butler both 10x50g for 80stg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

Heading to Krakow in Poland over Xmas , any ideas what is the legal amount of cigarettes I could bring back to Ireland when I come back, it's a bit confusing saying 800 on one website and 200 on another so if anyone been to Poland that would be great thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's 800 without any questions, more than that and possible questions. Keep receipts.

If your purchases are within the limits set out below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use. If you exceed these quantities, you may have to demonstrate that the goods are for your personal use.

Alcohol and tobacco allowances for travellers to Ireland from EU

Goods

Maximum quantity

Cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

You can technically carry any amount of tobacco you can through customs once it is for personnel use.

Note the key words utilised on the Revenue website...

Rules for duty-paid alcohol and tobacco products

"If you want to bring in alcohol and tobacco products (up to the indicative limits below) without paying extra duty or tax:"

"The following quantities are generally considered as being for personal use for individuals travelling within the EU:"

Source,

Generally, 2400 fags and it's no bother. keep your receipt with VAT paid at source on it, no street trader fags allowed. Over 2400, you can be questioned, but if you can convince the customs that they are your's, customs will let you through.

Post edited by jonerkinsella on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Brought 2800 back late last year - was stopped but no bother, the customs guy was sound (mind you had receipts and they were all the same brand)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭IrishB.ie

Travelling Rosslare to Cherbourg in the near future, any recommendations where to shop for 'cheap' cigarettes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

In Krakow any recommendations what places sell the 200 cartons of cigarettes? Ideally want to buy a few cartons as I'm having a late flight back to Ireland in a few days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Replying to my own post. 😂😂😂

Just paid €127 for 500 grams of Amber Leaf (10x50)in a tobacconist in downtown Alicante today. That's some price rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Gatwick airport yesterday, 200 Silk cut purple £78, 400 was £125.

Asked the girl what was limit flying into Dublin, she said "400" but then when I went to pay, she said actually it's only 200 limit but they never check.

£62.50 (€74) for 200 is fair enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

It's only 50 euro when you buy on ryanair plane flying home

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭JVince

That's expensive.

Dublin airport is €113 for 400.

Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow are about £135 for 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Stansted Airport- £136 for 10 x 50g Amber Leaf. Price has gone up about £12 since December. Cheaper on the plane, IF they have it!

Couldn't do a lot about it seeing as I was flying from Gatwick but next time I'm flying from one of those airports, i'll stock up.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

onboard with Ryanair is the cheapest option - the problem is that half the time they have no stock on the plane so you can be left empty handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭JVince

depends on where you are flying from and their price on the day.

From Canary Islands they can be as low as €50 a sleeve, but from the UK I've been charged €65-€75 and usually you need to ask them as flights from Glasgow / Liverpool & Birmingham (only places I need to go to) are quite short.

So if you can take risks or are travelling with others, the 600 pack (not 3 x individual 200 packs) at the airports are best value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Anyone know if Emerald Airlines sell duty free on board flights to/from Isle of Man?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Is there a difference in price on Ryanair flights to the UK and from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A quick question on duty free cigarettes from Italy if anyone can help. I had a relation in Venice at the weekend who was to bring me back some cheap smokes hopefully but when they were in the duty free at the airport they could only get 3 brands - Camel, Marlboro and Dunhill I think which I wouldn't smoke. I was looking for B&H so they came back empty handed as there was none on the plane either. However they are back there in a few weeks again so I'm wonderings what's the best bet to get a couple of cartons of B&H.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Assuming they are coming back to Ireland they should instead try a local tobacconist instead that stocks the brand, perhaps visit a day or so before they actually want to collect them so they have the stock in place. There will be no duty free priced cigarettes coming back from the airport to Ireland anyways as it's within the EU, there are also no cigarette duty free sales on EU internal flights. Looks like retail price in Italy is about €6 a pack so cheaper than most 'duty free' prices between UK/Ireland by the looks of it.

Additionally there's a few airports I have heard of in Italy (possibly all) which for internal EU flights won't sell you cigarettes from duty free even at the duty paid price as it's too much hassle, Dublin duty free no longer sell you duty paid if you are heading to an EU destination as sales were so low it wasn't worth dual pricing items.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Never been to Italy but i'm going to assume there are tobacconist shops there like in Spain and Portugal, that's your best bet for getting B&H.

There is no 'duty free' in the EU, theoretically your relation can buy and bring home as many as they/you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry, the duty free phrase was a bad choice. I meant cheap cigarettes or cigarettes at similar prices to duty free.

Ill get the relations to check out tobacconists in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭RCSATELLITES

Benson and hedges in Milan Bergamo airport were €75 last time I was there.

There are tobacconist, bars and supermarkets that sell them. Unfortunately they don't really *accommodate tourist purchase as in large quantities and in stick form. (*Like Spain does for the English and Irish tourists)

So the best bet is the airport, but looks like it depends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭standardg60

Retract that apology :-)

I was just pointing out that duty free restrictions wouldn't apply in case you thought 200 was the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

Just back from a short trip to Newcastle and both outbound and return flight, could get a carton for 50 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

€121 for 10x50 Amber Leaf duty free pouches on Dublin Holyhead ferry last weekend.

A full €6.00 cheaper than I paid in a downtown tobacconist in Spain a month ago with normal vat and taxes

Duty free my Arse! Profiteering by a company with a captive audience and charging as much as the market will bear.

Advertisement