Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Open - Can Rory get back on the Major trail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Yeah and you are correct! My point is about his major performances ,And not winning one in 8years, nothing to do with world ranking. Golfers arent remembered for their world ranking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

He actually scrambled well yesterday and got some putts to keep a score going. Today it isn't going his way, its golf and it happens to everyone. A follower of golf would know that.

Mayo analogy is awful as exactly like the tennis comparison previously, opponents can get knocked out before you have to play them...and there's far less of them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Long way to go

Aw man if you think he is good at handling pressure at majors theres really no point talking to you. Any follower of golf knows that he cant handle the majors anymore. I accept other sports comparisons are a bit unfair.

I'd say he piles on a huge amount of unnecessary pressure on himself before majors, and tries to force his game instead of playing what's in front of him

Yeah id completly agree with that thinking. As evidenced by his success outside of the majors , unfortunately for him pro golf is very heavily focused on majors. Look he won 4 before 26 , not many have won 4 or more over there whole career. Im just sick of the hype around him pre every major at this stage im aware thats not his fault.

The legacy of a golfer is determined by majors for sure, not having won one in 8 years won't matter a damn.

The hype comes externally, he's the biggest name in the game as he took on the post-Tiger era mantle alone. Since then, the standard of the game has just gone from strength to strength. Multiple major winners have come and gone.

In saying all that, the putt on 8 was atrocious. Need to give yourself every chance to get some momentum going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Course is eating them up today

Yeah i do agree but like how is his name still so big? Yeah hes losing the plot a bit today , few others in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭cosatron

How is he losing the plot. The first drop shot just didn't drop and his being unlucky for a few birdies. Is Morikawa is losing the plot aswell with 3 dropped shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It would be interesting to see a more formal analysis of this, but just casually watching Rory at these tight major courses, he seems to go for too many difficult pins rather than playing to middle of greens. You'd have to compare his shot dispersion to other high ranking players. And don't forget, whatever his score is right now, there were two shots yesterday that were basically whiffs in the long grass on the way to that double bogey. Without those he would have been playing in the last group today. That might change things too.

He has as much talent as anyone, and the Canadian Open course while fairly similar to this one had less penal rough, so his misses were less costly. Also you only have about one third of the top contenders at this event playing in Canada. Justin Thomas and Tony Finau were the main competition.

Anyone can win this weekend, I have a feeling that tomorrow the pins are going to be in more difficult spots and it will be very cool and windy, so scores may balloon.

I said losing the plot a "bit" I also said a few others in the same boat. He was 3 over through 6.

Post edited by squigglestrebor on

He got a huge following in a lull period. Also seems like a decent guy, wears his heart on his sleeve.

Wow he made a putt. Power with a good round. Sheffler double out of nowhere, this is shaping up very well

That putt just didnt drop did it not? Nothing to do with him not hitting it hard enough, zero correlation.

Yea i guess he got that following and many have stuck with him ,fair enough, hopefully he learns to chill at the majors and wins at least 2 more. I feel if he was to stick on 4 that he would be remembered for underperforming to his potential. Shaping up well , looked like scotty was going to run away for a minute.

• Advertisement

I really don’t think you can say he took it on alone, Tiger imploded in 2009, Michelson was still a huge star at that time, it was the 2012 season before McIroy really shot into the superstar stratosphere. Since then Spieth, Koepke, Johnson, and recently DeChambeau have burned brightly in similar bursts/streaks. Certainly he was the first of the new crop of superstars after 2009, but he has not been alone. The best put pressure on themselves to succeed, in every walk of life it’s what helps set the best person/group apart from others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Back doored himself to being only 3 shots behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭kyleman

World no 1 Scheffler is losing the plot!!

Mickleson while a star was never 'the' man, of course spent a lot of his time in Tigers shadow unfortunatelyfor him. Rory was the next big thing coming through, bit different from a player who had many years on tour. Caught thr imagination of many.

Yeah those players came through, but DJ only has 2 majors, Dechambeau only 1 (his biggest contribution to golf is just bulking up and being a ghoul). Rory (from my expert position of course), puts huge pressure on himself, possibly even more than others, have said as much in one if last posts.

Thats an insane take!! The chap is 1 under for the day through 11! Do ya not follow golf?

• Advertisement

Ya, agree with that. I edited my post while you were typing to say he was definitely the first of the new crop of superstars after 2009. Also agree DeC is a freak, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that for a couple of years he has been in the upper echelon when it comes to media attention.

Brooks has 4 and spieth with 3 , all a LOT more recent , both way smaller names than Rory , weird one. Maybe its cos theres a lot of irish media i see too.

Maybe losing the plot a bit as his dropped another shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rory back in it

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭kyleman

Brilliant from Rory. Right in the mix.

”back dooring” just over half way through the third round seems a odd phrase to use.

Yeah Sky will have a bias towards him alright. Being a consistent top 10 player for a decade will bring with it more attention, something a lot of other top players won't experience.

2 off now. Whole leaderboard is completely stacked, at least it'll be entertaining if nothing else

Yeah maybe its the sky angle, consistently in top 10 without winning tho id have thought wouldnt get you much attention! Just a bit of an ever present. He is right back in it here tho , was out to 24/1 and now 9/2 , should be good fun tomorrow!

Likely to drop 1 back again, wind seems to be catching a few out on this hole. Didn't seem long ago I'd have thought -4 would be a few off the lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Feck sake Rory

Similar weather conditions forecast for tomorrow.

What does the strength stat mean on the putting statistics pop ups

Some serious scrambling going on here, somehow only 3 off the lead. If he gets 1 birdie on the way in it'll do him the world of good (without dropping shots too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rory really off the reservation on this hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Rahm making a dogs dinner of the 18th😝

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭waynescales1

A fried egg!

It's a funny game, I thought at least one player would end on a higher score than what the leader started at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It was a sarcastic comment said as people were claiming he was in full meltdown.

Why would it be odd half way through the third round though? Backdooring doesn't mean it has to be last gasp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

You're very annoying squigglestrebor

Mod Edit

Attack the post please, not the poster

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Went to bed when he's was really struggling so happy enough to see he's only 3 back, still has a squeak today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It was mad watching it, he was clinging on for dear life, his only 2 putt was a par and he actually got unlucky cos ball hit a branch and came up 70 yards short, probably would've been a birdie if didn't happen. Huge contrast to Sheffler and particularly Morikawa who let it get away from them. Less so Sheffler. Then Rahm on the last with a brainfart to keep it tight

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Think he is still in with a shout, its still wide open, I'm thinking 3 under might win it. His putting on the back nine was very good, not so good on the front nine. Think I fancy Rahm, but if Rory (or Seamus) didn't win it I would like to see Zalatoris or Matt win it. Still not convinced how either will handle the last day based on hwo they played on the last day in the PGA (when the pressure was on) but if they have gained from that experience this could be the time for one of them to make the breakthrough. Unlike the Masters it could go down to the wire.

• Advertisement

He’s in with a huge shout, final day of the US Open is often difficult and unpredictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lots of complaints about the coverage, was it that bad?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

A bloody farce, lot of time didn't bother showing shots so if went to a player they'd be be further down a hole, playing a 2nd or 3rd. The continued cycle of panoramic shots, followed by leaderboard, then ads, then leaderboard then a few shots and repeat is infuriating

Hopefully competition from LIV will make them cop on.

they showed the fudge up by zander sheufele who was +4 at the time which was totally unnecessary and the amateur who went coast to coast on a chip at the edge of the green and ball rolled down into the fairway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I fancy Rahm will do it, it's like he hasn't had a good day yet and he's right there.

I'd love to see Matthew Fitzpatrick or Will Zalatoris do it.

All the stuff being said about McIlroy is ridiculous. Firstly he has been Fed Ex Cup champion on two occasions in the last six years and the only other two time winner is Tiger Woods.

Secondly he is the most popular golfer in the world outside of Tiger Woods, Mickelson was too but he's lost that now. There's no doubt about that, I'd guess he's less loved in this country than many others which is a sad indictment of Irish people and their jealousy against successful people from their own country.

Thirdly it's not his fault that you hear his name mentioned as a contender for every major, outside of the fact that he's a multiple major winner and the winningest golfer on the PGA tour now that Dustin Johnson has left it. You always heard about Johnson as a contender just like Rory.

People need to cop on and hate on people from other countries if they need to hate.

Honestly there's guys here who I believe would shout for a cheat like Patrick Reed over Rory.

My own opinion is that Rory needs a caddie that's not his friend, somebody who is strong enough to tell him he's making a bad choice when he gets too aggressive.

Anyway, looking forward to the final round. You couldn't rule out anybody, like Justin Thomas is seven back just like in the PGA championship. Rory only three back and he regularly finishes strongly in Majors. The dark horse for me is Adam Hadwin, he's bogeyed early in every round, he's three over for the first four holes for the week with a birdie thrown in there. If he manages to get through the first four level par or better he's a serious contender I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement