Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house

Options
  • 16-06-2022 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at moving house in the coming months and I was just wondering about my licenses. I know I have to submit a FCA2 for each of my licenses for the change of address. Technically, what's the legality of moving my firearms to my new house? Do I need to wait for my new licenses to drop through the letter box? Or can I move them after I submit the FCA2s? Or, worse case scenario, do I need to store them in a dealers/club for the intervening period?

I realise this is an exercise in the pedantic, but at the same time I don't want to get caught out by doing the wrong thing.

Thanks in advance,

alanmc.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The licenses do not have to be substituted, renewed, etc. merely amended and only in so far as the location at which they [the firearms] will be stored (ie. your new address). So you're still licensed on the firearms and while they are still in your possession you can have them at any location you are at (you know what I mean).

So make sure the safes and necessary level of security is in place before moving the firearms, submit your FCA2s (as soon as you can) and you should be good to go.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭alanmc

Thanks Cass.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JP22

As Cass says, dot all the I's and cross all the t's and you should be good to go.

Best wishes with the new move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Sorry for bringing up an old thread

But who do you submit the form to. The garda station of the old house. Or new one? Did you get anything back as your license has your address on it.

just wondering where the renewal letter would be sent to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you but I've always handed in a renewal letter or the form for changing address to my local Garda station. I'd never send the renewal or other paperwork anywhere, I'd always put it in the hands of the Gardai or, as a last resort, through the letterbox of the local Garda station. If put through the letterbox, I'd follow it up with a phone call to confirm that the Garda had received it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Use the FCA2 and submit it to your current station. All renewals and other paperwork will then go to the new address once the amendment is done. You should receive a new license with the new address on it but if not get onto the AGS and get one issued.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement