Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat 22/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,114 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Forwards are the biggest issue, and that's nothing to do with the pricing. It's all to do with how football itself has evolved.

Move Salah, Foden and Son in there for instance, and you have a completely different set of challenges when picking your squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This time of year always seems a bit silly in FSA and following twitter accounts. Everyone get bogged down in creating a team without looking at fixtures, then in August it gets a bit real, people see who's got better/worse starts and they all change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭McBain11

I've been a bit bemused by the placement of the likes of Salah as a midfielder in the FPL game for years now. If Salah plays for Liverpool for another 3 seasons or more, he'll most likely go down as one of the all time great Liverpool and English top flight forwards. He's there 5 seasons now and has been the PL top scorer in 3 of those, and he's a midfielder in the FPL game!

So what exactly is the thinking here from the FPL overlords? Is it a case of if they move the likes of Salah, Son and others into the forward bracket, the picks in midfield in the game will become exceptionally slim and a bit boring? For me in the last 2/3 seasons that has happened anyway, it's just that it's happening in the forward bracket with such slim pickings available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Again, we're not really disagreeing with each other.

To be clear, I'm not asking for the prices of forward players to be changed. I'm asking for a tweak to their scoring system. Off the top of my head, give forwards 5 points for a goal instead of 4. Mids still get to keep their clean sheet point and would still be favoured for BPs, but suddenly forwards are more attractive.

Big scores are good for business I'd imagine. People like seeing their players hitting 20+ points in a week. I think it's in their interest to have the likes of Salah, Son, Mane as mids all these years.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's maybe partly a legacy from the days of Lamps, Stevie G, Fabregas etc, although they were all very obviously midfielders in the traditional sense.

When Forest revealed the prices for their players, they said the rest of the team's prices would be revealed "later in the month". Maybe game launch isn't as imminent as some of us thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Was forced to change my password and other details today which gave me hope that the game had relaunched. Sadly not, GW38 still greets me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

So far i like the prices. A lot of good viable options of mid ranged and low ranged price to choose from. In terms of promoted teams was hoping Johnson for forest would be MID not FWD so wont pick him just yet. Gonna take a trust on Solanke for a cheap FWD, Yates for a Cheap MID and i dont trust any of the fulham players

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not sure if he was a viable option from the start anyways, but Richarlison is suspended for GW1 now.

I think this needs to be said again -

Boards is obviously on its last legs.

So whenever setting up and collecting money for cash leagues it would be great if we can think of a way to pay out winners if/when boards ceases to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭McBain11

Discord app/website is the best bet in this scenario imo. Already a number of people from Boards FSA on there. The more people that join that from pay leagues on here, the better.

link to the boards group on discord above

Thanks McBain

So would be good if all league administrators and cash collectors make sure they are at least signed up there now ?

Before the season starts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dearg81

They just lazily view wide attacking players players in a 433 or 343 all as wingers. Liverpool always play with inside forwards (as opposed to wingers) so they should be classified as forwards in the game.

I'm in a few Fantasy NFl elagues with people I don't know and we use TeamStake to hold the cash for the year. At the end of the year the admin proposes who gets the winnings, and it the payout has to be ratified by a few other players. Good system if you're worries about boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Ros1234

It's live! best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Any rule changes? The normal link to rules under help appears broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,555 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Doesn't seem to be. There'll be unlimited transfers available during the World Cup is only important thing I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Seems it's unlimited transfers during the World Cup. A season of two halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Looks like I'm a bit of 'in the know'.

Seems to be unlimited transfers during the WC, effectively an extra wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

You play a wildcard and your locked in? Here you can chop and change continuously during the break.

I presume we are back to one wildcard this season.

• Advertisement

So haven't played FPL in quite a few years. What are the various leagues that boardsies run each season?

Post edited by Mr Crispy on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

So no wildcard from January on this season? Bit **** for players who delay use of the wildcards like me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not sure where you are getting that misinformation from.

There's the usual wildcard for the second half of the season.

"The Wildcard chip can be used twice a season. The first wildcard will be available from the start of the season until Sat 12 Nov 13:30. The second wildcard will be available after Mon 26 Dec 13:30 in readiness for the January transfer window opening and remain available until the end of the season. The Wildcard chip is played when confirming transfers that cost points and can't be cancelled once played."

Had a proper look through it today. World Cup is after GW 16, when we've a free Wildcard, so the latest I'm going to likely use my fist WC is about GW9 (international break).

So planning for the firs 8 weeks, the teams with the nicest schedules* are the big 5 teams really.

• Lovely fixtures - City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs
    • Decent Fixtures - United, Leicester

Think I may end up with all of Salah, Kane, Haaland those first 8 weeks, their home games are as nice as they get, lots of captaincy options...

• Salah - Palace, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Wolves (and Fulham away)
    • Kane - Southampton, Wolves, Fulham (and Forest away)
    • Haaland - Bournemouth, Palace, Forest (and WH, Newcastle, Villa, Wolves away)

I'm edging towards Kane over Son, Think I'd prefer Kane +8m midfielder (Saka, Dias, Foden) over Son and 7.5m striker (or even a Jesus/DCL at 8m).

Leicester and Arsenal defenders look decent value, Castagne and Perreira are both 4.5 if we could figure out which one will start. Would be great if one got sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It’s possible he struggles in hot weather because he breathes through his mouth. Otherwise I wouldn’t much store in it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

So, am i right in saying there are two wildcards PLUS the unlimited transfers for the WC?

Kane never scored in August up until 2018 (don't have assists data for the previous seasons);

August 2018 - 2 goals, 0 assists

August 2019 - 2 goals, 0 assists

August 2020 - season didn't start until September

August 2021 - back to 0 goals, 0 assists but he arrived back late after his move to City didn't materialise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Anyone else moving over to the BB GW1 strategy this season? It'll be my second year with it, the second WC probably makes decreases its effectiveness but IMO its still the best place to play it.

One of the main drivers is that you generally play your WC in GW3/4, at that stage you can move to a non playing striker and depending on your formation a 4m defender or a 4.5m mid, saving yourself 1m, according to Hub thats 0.5pts/GW across the season. So thats a hidden benefit to your GW1 BB

Advertisement